PDA

View Full Version : Scenery Quandry!

falcon409
February 22nd, 2012, 18:43
I have a dilemma that I seem to be unable to figure out and I need some expert advice from someone more familiar with this stuff. I am doing an update from the default for KGYI North Texas Regional (formerly Grayson County). The terrain sits at an elevation of 228m (all elevation measurements are done using TCalcX_2). However the AFCAD sits at an elevation of 220m. I went into AFX to change the AFCAD elevation only to find that under "properties" it shows that the airport does in fact sit at an elevation of 228m. Oh and I forgot to mention that this is the "stock" airport, not one that I modded already. So why would a stock airport show one altitude but sit at another?:kilroy:

jdhaenens
February 22nd, 2012, 19:53
Use 228 Ft. T-Calc sometimes differs slightly with what the Rreference altitude of the airport is, but if you model the new one just a little off, strange things start happening. Unless you're willing to deal with stub files and the like, both the old and new reference altitudes need to match.

Meshman
February 22nd, 2012, 20:40
There is a TCalc003 from 2010, replacing TCalc002. Both the airport tools show 749' for me.

What I use more than anything is the updated for FSX Finney Crosshairs tool. It sits flat and gives accurate reading via the Shift-Z key combo.

Both TCalc003 and the F C tool are at FS Developer.

falcon409
February 22nd, 2012, 21:50
Thanks guys.I think I have that one under control now and moving on to another one I'm running into more and more. . . . .airports that are situated on uneven ground. So uneven that any "even" altitude flatten will leave a rising cliff in one area and a steep drop off in another. North Texas Regional sits at the bottom of what probably figures to be about a 100'+ slope on the east side and then tapers off to the west and north and rises again to the south. An ordinary flatten looks ridiculous so I'm going to try stepping several flattens of varying elevations in those areas either up or down to see if I can get a reasonable taper to the terrain rather than just abrupt cliffs.

Dave Torkington
February 22nd, 2012, 22:58
An ordinary flatten looks ridiculous so I'm going to try stepping several flattens of varying elevations in those areas either up or down to see if I can get a reasonable taper to the terrain rather than just abrupt cliffs.

SBuilderX is way more versatile than AFX for creating flattens IMHO... You can even make slopes to blend in to the local terrain - takes a bit of time and patience though! :salute:

falcon409
February 23rd, 2012, 03:31
SBuilderX is way more versatile than AFX for creating flattens IMHO... You can even make slopes to blend in to the local terrain - takes a bit of time and patience though! :salute:
Dave I am using SBuilderX for the flattens. I only use AFX to handle the AFCAD work.:salute:

Dave Torkington
February 23rd, 2012, 05:53
Dave I am using SBuilderX for the flattens. I only use AFX to handle the AFCAD work.:salute:

Sorry - assumed you were just using AFX to flatten rather than SBuilder X's polygons... Local terrain can be pretty unruly eh!

falcon409
February 23rd, 2012, 09:42
.... Local terrain can be pretty unruly eh!
Yes it can be, lol