PDA

View Full Version : Repaint experts, newbie needs your advice.

Killbilly
February 20th, 2012, 04:29
So I'm working on a paint for the Aerosoft Beaver, and for some reason, the paint comes out all wierd in game on the plane. There are sections of "bleed" and blurries. The paints are 2048x2048 (which is fine on other planes in game) so I don't think the problem isn't due to low res. The paint looks fine in the paint programs: I use DXTBmp and Gimp 2.6 to paint and compile (I know they work fine, because I did a couple of paints for the KCFS SeaBee without issue). Do you paint-fume addicts have any ideas about what could be causing this?

In paint program:

In game:

falcon409
February 20th, 2012, 04:56
Only thing that comes to mind is that while your artwork is nice and crisp, the original texture mapping in that area, for some reason, was stretched a bit. That would cause any art in that area to be a bit fuzzy. Just a guess.:salute:

rwmarth
February 20th, 2012, 05:05
Be sure to have no mip maps checked in options when converting to dds as well

skyhawka4m
February 20th, 2012, 05:55
also make sure you texture settings in your sim are set all the way to the right. sometimes if its not the plane from diffeerent angles will show blurries in the textures.

OleBoy
February 20th, 2012, 07:15
Concerning the blurries, I've ran into the same thing at times where they looked distorted in-sm. Where in the model viewer they look perfect. Several times I would re-save from my graphics program in hopes it was a glitch that would rectify itself. That did nothing.

DXT5 was my standard compression. Like most repaints, it works. Although not the best it could be visually. Since then I started saving 32bit-888 and haven't had any issues. You might try it if you're not already.

Killbilly
February 20th, 2012, 11:52
Thanks for the suggestions, guys, but nothing seems to work. I think Falcon might be right. The same textures on other planes look fine. I think it must be something about the texture mapping on the plane itself. I have one last thing to try, and that's playing with the specular map. I doubt it will work, but it's worth a shot. Sigh.

hae5904
February 20th, 2012, 11:57
Brian, I send you a PM (or was it a visitor message....:salute:)

Cheers,
Hank