PDA

View Full Version : This is getting kinda spooky..

WarHorse47
February 19th, 2012, 18:42
I'm not normally superstitious, but there have been a few things going on in my life that are starting to bug me.

Someone once said that bad things come in threes. Well, I'm beginning to wonder if that's true.

Most of you heard of the storm we had in the Pacific Northwest exactly a month ago. Well, the Monday before it hit the wife and I woke up to a very, very cold house. The furnace had died during the night, so it was quite cold when we got up. All morning I was on the phone to find a repairman, and by 1:30 things were back to normal. That was after the $650 bill, but a day before the snow came and two days before we lost power and heat.

Two weeks after that (or two weeks before today), I had one of those busy days at the office followed by another business meeting late at night. It was dark and rainy, and I was tired as I headed home. Before I reached the freeway exit to my desitation, the battery light came on. Uh, oh. Four miles to go to get home, I need my lights, defroster and windshield wipers, and all I have is battery power. After I exited the freeway, I pulled off into a local mall - the truck was running fine, but the lights were getting dim. Do I leave it there and have the wife come get me, or do I try and make it to my driveway. I made it to the driveway, but not without driving the last mile with no lights whatsoever. The following day I gave the battery a full charge and headed for the shop. I think the tab was another $600 plus dollars for a new alternator, belt and labor.

And that brings us to this weekend. My hearing is not so good, but I always thought my wife's hearing is worse since she is deaf in one ear since birth. Last night she kept saying she was hearing this chirping noise, but couldn't explain it nor identify where it was coming from. I couldn't hear a thing. As we sat down for lunch today, I went to the patio door and hear this strange noise. What I discovered was that the alarm on our septic system had gone off. We surmised that it was running since yesterday, since we had not heard anything on Friday. Anyways, our lunch was cut short while I went out and inspected the pump on the septic system. No joy. The system is now off, and the repairman is due tomorrow afternoon. Anyone want to guess how much my bill is going to be?

Thank God for :icon29::icon29::icon29: to settle the nerves when the pocketbook takes a hit.

:ernae:
--WH

paiken
February 19th, 2012, 19:27
You may want to go easy on the beers until after you get your septic system fixed!:icon_lol:

WarHorse47
February 19th, 2012, 19:33
You may want to go easy on the beers until after you get your septic system fixed!:icon_lol:Oops. You're right. I can't flush until the job is done... :icon_lol:

--WH

N2056
February 19th, 2012, 20:52
Been there and done that!
My story involved the toilet itself. The big plus was that the family was out of town, and my bladder was tougher back then. :icon_lol:
As to getting kind of spooky...
Sounds more like getting kind of expensive! :eek:

stansdds
February 20th, 2012, 04:57
I expect we've all been there at least once and if not, your time is coming.

WarHorse47
February 20th, 2012, 14:10
Anyone want to guess how much my bill is going to be?

If you guessed $845.68, you are the winner. That includes $288.50 to assess the problem which turned out to be a set of bad floats. The pump still works, but its getting long in tooth. That would have been another $1,326.93. We'll do that when the time comes.

Ouch. :pop4:

--WH