PDA

View Full Version : Game of Thrones

Eoraptor1
February 19th, 2012, 16:34
Anybody here watching it? Reading the books?

JAMES

BPbobafett1982
February 19th, 2012, 17:41
I don't have HBO so I haven't seen the series yet. But I have heard that it's pretty faithful to the books.

I have read the first four books, I am now starting "A Dance with Dragons."

And I play "A Game of Thrones" Living Card game by Fantasy Flight Games.

Odie
February 20th, 2012, 05:24
Waiting for the dvd set....

cajj1
February 20th, 2012, 07:22
Waiting for Season 2...

jmig
February 20th, 2012, 15:57
Anybody here watching it? Reading the books?

JAMES

I have read the first book and plan on ordering the second. One of my sons got me into the series.

norab
February 20th, 2012, 16:16
quite good but definitely not for children, first season very faithfull to the first book. can't wait for season two

Eoraptor1
February 25th, 2012, 12:19
I've read all the books, and greatly enjoyed them. So far, I've also enjoyed the HBO series and am looking forward to the second season. I was very much surprised at how closely the series followed the book, not exactly, but much more than, say, Peter Jackon's Lord of the Rings movies. Don't get me wrong; I loved Jackson's effort, but don't go in thinking you know what happened in the books because you saw all three movies. My far-and-away favorite Games of Thrones character is Tyrion, aka "The Imp". I think Peter Dinkage does a surperb job in bringing the character to life. I like Arya Stark for her adaptability, and I also lile Dany quite a bit. At first, I thought she'd be a Barbie Doll and get on my nerves, but she turned out to be interesting.

In all the cover blurbs, George R.R. Martin gets called the "American Tolkien" but I don't see it. Both create deeply realized medevalist fantasy worlds, so they're alike in that sense, but Martin has a much more modern sensibility. His books are full of rape, prostitutes, and out-of-wedlock children, none of which exist in Tolkien's universe. There's all manner of other unpleasantness, mass murder, torture, plagues, and generations-long wars, but Professor Tolkien was very straightlaced about sexual matters. He was also taking his literary cues from archaic sources like Beowulf, and The Kalevala.

STOP ME BEFORE I LECTURE AGAIN!!!

JAMES

cajj1
February 25th, 2012, 12:26
I'm reading A Dance with Dragons at the moment having read all of the others as well. Definitely agree with you about Tyrion, it was great that Peter Dinklage won an Emmy for the role in season 1.