PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed; FSX SP1 Update 'Fail'

Lionheart
February 18th, 2012, 06:46
Hey all,

I have been trying to get the FSX SP1 update installed and it will not happen. I spent the day yesterday reloading FSX (yes, all of it, 2 times) to get this dang SP1 to install, nothing worked. I have used the Flight1 Registry cleaner as well.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get this working?

Thanks,

Bill

Daube
February 18th, 2012, 07:24
Common advises:
- ensure FSX retail has been launched at least once
- ensure the SP1 install file is in the FSX root folder
- ensure you run the SP1 install "as an administrator"
- ensure your antivirus is turned OFF

Lionheart
February 18th, 2012, 07:51
Thanks Daube. Very much appreciated.

Off to try that now.

Bill

Lionheart
February 18th, 2012, 08:08
...............nada...

Nothing seems to be working.

This is damaging to my grayed, brittle eyebrows.

Daube
February 18th, 2012, 08:39
Hmm this is strange...
What kind of error do you get, exactely ?
Also, does the SP1 match the language of your retail FSX ?

Lionheart
February 18th, 2012, 09:24
Hey Daube,

Yes, its English on English.

No error message. The SP1 Installer usually runs for several min's, but yesterday evening and today, after a total reinstall, the Sp1 Installer runs for a few seconds, then says the SP1 update is installed, click Finished, done. But the Addon planes still appear messed up, the SP1 update is not in.

This is the FSX SP1 update as well, not the SDK SP1 update.

Daube
February 18th, 2012, 09:34
What do you mean when you say 'addon planes still appear messed up' ?
If you refer to most recent addon planes, then you'll probably need SP2 or Acceleration, not just SP1.

Lionheart
February 18th, 2012, 09:42
I am running the same computer, same OS, same everything. SP1 has always worked in the past fixing all the issues with FSX and new addon planes.

But.... I'll try it. SP2 causes my computer to run slower, but I'll try it.

napamule
February 18th, 2012, 13:17
I bought FSX in late 2006. When Acceleration (SP2) came out I read all about problems with installing SP1/SP2 due to 'xyz' and that if you got lucky you were then able to use FSX (until the next time you re-nstalled FSX). Life is too short for stupid 'problems' like 'SP1/SP2' installs due to lack of info as to what it REALLY takes to do it successfully (never DID find out). :banghead:

So I decided in 2008 to buy the FSX Gold Edition (Deluxe & Acceleration-3 DVD) package and 'retired' the original FSX. No use fighting it. I am now enjoying FSX Acceleration in new i7 2600K computer after 'straight', no BS, installation following the simple 'rules' for install. :running:
Chuck B
Napamule

Lionheart
February 18th, 2012, 13:30
Hi Chuck.

So... What if I go out, and get this $5,000.00 12 core computer (like I have been wanting to get) and I install it per the instructions (like I am doing this time) and it doesnt install the SP1 update (like its doing this time)?

I dont see how a Quad core or a 12 core is going to get the SP1 update to install. I dont think the SP1 update is worth alot of money at the present time.

Lionheart
February 18th, 2012, 13:37
Sorry Chuck, I think I came across a bit short.

Its been a long two weeks.

I need the SP1 update to install and I do not think its the chips that govern how the programs should install. At least I hope not. I have had nothing but problems with FSX since it came out and I am about ready to go back totally to FS2004 at this point with the amount of issues I get from it.

Daube, I did try the SP2 route. The SP2 installer ran for 1 hour (yes... I watched the clock) with the SP2 installer window stating 'the SP2 installer is determining how much disc space you will require'. I need this running badly, so I didnt touch a thing and let it run. At 1 hour, I turned it off, re-ran it, and again it stalled, so I closed it up. I have reloaded FSX several times now and still the SP1 update will not load, so I dont know..... I just dont know.

Bill

Daube
February 18th, 2012, 15:55
Well I don't have much ideas left, unfortunately :/

This computer where you tried to install FSX and SP1, is it a new computer, or it is a computer that already received FSX in the past ?
You said you uninstalled FSX twice or something like that. How did you uninstall it ? Have you checked that no more folders existed after FSX removal ? For example, the folder that contains the FSX.cfg, was it gone as well ?

Also, is your Windows up to date, for example for the windows installer ( http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?DisplayLang=en&id=8483 ), and is the UAC disabled ?

Lionheart
February 18th, 2012, 17:12
Hey Daube,

Same computer, FSX is on an external hard drive as it was before. I totally deleted it (FSX) and its a new 'main' computer hard drive, Windows XP 32bit, full updates carried out.

I did bring over my old file saves (FSX Files in My Documents) so those werent lost.

Thats it. On the second fresh install from 2 days ago, I used the 'available to all' installation instead of just my own sign in hoping that would enable SP1 to work.

Bill

Bone
February 18th, 2012, 17:19
I have had nothing but problems with FSX since it came out and I am about ready to go back totally to FS2004 at this point with the amount of issues I get from it.

Daube, I did try the SP2 route. The SP2 installer ran for 1 hour (

Bill

Accelleration solves many of the problems you've most likely had with FSX. The Gold package is really two separate things...FSX and Accelleration...not a combined FSX/Accell, which some people here have illuded to in the past. There's two FSX disks with an activation code, and an Acceleration disk with an activation code. If you get the Gold package (ie cheaper), then you only have to use the Accelleration disk since you already have FSX installed. The disks in the package aren't married to each other, lol.

Really, operating FSX with SP1/SP2 only is ASKING for trouble. Accelleration seals the deal.

napamule
February 18th, 2012, 17:57
Bill,
Like Bone says.. the Gold Edition 'seals the deal'. What I (we) meant is that (even if you have a Pentium 4) the Gold Edition (a 3 DVD set) has FSX Deluxe and Acceleration DVD's (with the SP1 and SP2 already installed !!!) which prevents all those problems trying to install the Service Patches. I never did try to go the SP1 / SP2 route, so I did not have any problems, or can tell you how to fix THOSE problems. My suggestion is that getting FSX Gold Edition IS the (short/dirty/use my head/logical/easy money/FYI) solution. Or you can struggle.
Chuck B
Napamule