PDA

View Full Version : V(S)TOL addon V3.0 for Alphasim MV22 Osprey released ..

rcbarend
February 17th, 2012, 17:06
Hi,

I just uploaded the new version of this addon to the SOH library: file rcbvca30.zip, section FSX - Other.

This zip file is for the Alphasim package only; I will upload a version for the Virtavia package next week.

To Paul Clawson ("PutPut"): thanks for testing !!

Enjoy ....

:icon29: Rob Barendregt

Bone
February 17th, 2012, 17:11
Thank you!

flewpastu
February 17th, 2012, 17:41
Outstanding, thank you

Bill

Felixthreeone
February 17th, 2012, 21:09
Very excited for this....but I don't see it listed in the FSX 'other' section? Is it simply not there yet?

FlameOut
February 18th, 2012, 05:54
I just d/l and will install later this evening, thanks. :applause:

Rich
February 18th, 2012, 06:31
Very excited for this....but I don't see it listed in the FSX 'other' section? Is it simply not there yet?

It was there 10 minutes ago but not on the first page, second I think.

Felixthreeone
February 18th, 2012, 06:36
Thanks, Rich. Downloaded, installed and love it!

jojohnson9
February 18th, 2012, 07:42
This is great...now I can fly it. Thanks for this mod. :salute:

cajj1
February 18th, 2012, 15:00
Fantastic, many thanks for this.

warchild
February 18th, 2012, 15:17
maybe next time i land on that seattle hospital, i wont remodel the building :;lol:;...

Emile
February 19th, 2012, 01:29
hello,
Thanks for this update.

Milamber
February 19th, 2012, 01:56
Very many thanks for this addon. Guess it's my [rubbish] flying capability then :)

M.:173go1:

dharry
February 19th, 2012, 10:35
I must be doing something wrong because without the mod, I lift off @ approx 35 knots using full flaps (90 degrees) and with the mod, the aircraft accelerates to approx 135 knots before it lifts off even though the engines are set for VTOL at 90 degrees. The dll file: sswvtol.dll is listed as trusted in the FSX.cfg file and the new gauge displays correctly as rcbvca30.zip was extracted to the root overwriting both aircraft and panel cfg files as instructed in the readme. Any ideas?

scotsman
February 19th, 2012, 13:10
Exactly the same problem here:frown:

Mike

rcbarend
February 19th, 2012, 13:45
I must be doing something wrong because without the mod, I lift off @ approx 35 knots using full flaps (90 degrees) and with the mod, the aircraft accelerates to approx 135 knots before it lifts off even though the engines are set for VTOL at 90 degrees. The dll file: sswvtol.dll is listed as trusted in the FSX.cfg file and the new gauge displays correctly as rcbvca30.zip was extracted to the root overwriting both aircraft and panel cfg files as instructed in the readme. Any ideas?
For some reason, the dll doesn't appear to work.
If you want me to look into it:
Send me an Email (see bottom of the README), with a zip file containing your fsx.cfg and panel.cfg.
- What I also need to know: the full pathname where the file sswvtol.dll is installed now.
- Which Window version are you using (XP, Vista, Windows7). 32-bit or 64-bit ?
- Which FSX version are you using ? (FSX-SP2 or FSX-Accelleration).

Another problem might be that SimConnect (the interface to FSX) isn't working properly on your PC.
To determine that:
- Do you have FSUIPC installed ?
- Are you using any other addon (like a eg. Harrier) that does VTOL ? If so, which ? And does that work ?
- Or any other application (like a weather addon) that uses SimConnect ?

I can hand you an alternative (using FSUIPC), but if you don't have any addon yet that use the FSX SimConnect interface, the most likely problem is a failing SimConnect interface.
Another tip: temporarily disable a firewall you might have installed (older versions of SimConnect are known to have problems with some firewall packages).

Please state all info in the Email as well.

Rob

rcbarend
February 20th, 2012, 06:27
For some reason, the new vtol.dll I'm using in this package, doesn't seem to work on Windows-XP 32-bit.
Sorry; have to investigate ....

Rob

LUCE1
February 20th, 2012, 06:44
For some reason, the new vtol.dll I'm using in this package, doesn't seem to work on Windows-XP 32-bit.
Sorry; have to investigate ....

Rob
Hi Rob,
most probably you do not distribute the C/C++ run-time library needed by vtol.dll to start.
In your Win7 system you have it from F-104/Harrier installers.
Distribute the MSVC2010-RUNTIME-redist_x86.exe installer and all will work flawlessly.
Alternatively users may download it from here (4.8 Mb):
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5555
/Mario

rcbarend
February 20th, 2012, 07:20
Hi Rob,
most probably you do not distribute the C/C++ run-time library needed by vtol.dll to start.
In your Win7 system you have it from F-104/Harrier installers.
Distribute the MSVC2010-RUNTIME-redist_x86.exe installer and all will work flawlessly.
Alternatively users may download it from here (4.8 Mb):
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5555
/Mario
Hi Mario,

You're absolutely right. Didn't know the .dll needed that...
Tried it, and it works now :)

Cheers, Rob

PS:
To users of rcbvca30.zip:
If VTOL doesn't appear to work, download this file and run the installer (.exe file)

falcon409
February 20th, 2012, 07:24
I'm running Win7-64bit and thus far, with having done quite a few re-checks to ensure things are where they should be. I have nothing working. No cockpit gauge (2D or VC) and nothing more than a normal flying Osprey. I have (from the readme) "Bell-Boeing V-22 Osprey for FSX, v2.0". The aircraft.cfg shows it to be "ui_type=MV-22B Osprey".:salute:

rcbarend
February 20th, 2012, 07:49
I'm running Win7-64bit and thus far, with having done quite a few re-checks to ensure things are where they should be. I have nothing working. No cockpit gauge (2D or VC) and nothing more than a normal flying Osprey. I have (from the readme) "Bell-Boeing V-22 Osprey for FSX, v2.0". The aircraft.cfg shows it to be "ui_type=MV-22B Osprey".:salute:
Hi Ed,

Do you have the Alphasim package or Virtavia version ??? (my addon is only for Alphasim now only; see my README)
Check if the panel folder has a file ALPHA_V-22.cab.
If it contains file Virtavia_V-22.cab, it explains why you see no gauges. (my new panel.cfg uses the ALphasim gauge names)

Best, Rob

dharry
February 20th, 2012, 07:53
Hi Mario,

You're absolutely right. Didn't know the .dll needed that...
Tried it, and it works now :)

Cheers, Rob

PS:
To users of rcbvca30.zip:
If VTOL doesn't appear to work, download this file and run the installer (.exe file)

I can concurr that the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86) does fix the problem for Windows XP SP2 32 Bit.
The runtime file is listed as requiring XP SP3 but I haven't had any problems so far with SP2.

rcbarend
February 20th, 2012, 08:08
I can concurr that the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86) does fix the problem for Windows XP SP2 32 Bit.
The runtime file is listed as requiring XP SP3 but I haven't had any problems so far with SP2.
Ok, great.
Problem solved I guess :icon_lol:

Sorry for the inconvinience ..

:guinness:Rob

falcon409
February 20th, 2012, 08:16
Hi Ed,

Do you have the Alphasim package or Virtavia version ??? (my addon is only for Alphasim now only; see my README)
Check if the panel folder has a file ALPHA_V-22.cab.
If it contains file Virtavia_V-22.cab, it explains why you see no gauges. (my new panel.cfg uses the ALphasim gauge names)

Best, Rob
Yep, I have that cab file Rob

falcon409
February 20th, 2012, 08:21
Here are the files showing in both the panel folder and then the rcb folder.

Paul Anderson
February 20th, 2012, 09:24
Could there be a conflict between new and old?
I had just dumped in the new version over the old and didn't notice much difference.
Upon looking at your panel folder picture, I noticed (as in mine) there was a rcb_vtol.dll.
This appears to be from the previous version (mine's dated 2006), it's not in the download zip.
I deleted the rcb_vtol.dll and the rcb-gauges folder and recopied the unzipped content.
Works fine for me now. (XP 32 bit)

falcon409
February 20th, 2012, 10:47
Could there be a conflict between new and old?
I had just dumped in the new version over the old and didn't notice much difference.
Upon looking at your panel folder picture, I noticed (as in mine) there was a rcb_vtol.dll.
This appears to be from the previous version (mine's dated 2006), it's not in the download zip.
I deleted the rcb_vtol.dll and the rcb-gauges folder and recopied the unzipped content.
Works fine for me now. (XP 32 bit)
I went back and looked at the zipfile to see exactly what was contained and where it should go. You're right about the dll showing in the panel folder, not being part of the new setup so that's gone, but the rest is correct. By the way, removing that dll made no difference. I still have the old style gauge in the lower left of the VC panel and even with the nacells rotated for hover, the V-22 rolls forward until it reaches normal take-off speed and never does show any inclination to lift vertically.

The only other explanation, which seems unlikely, is that despite the fact that everything in both the aircraft.cfg file and panel file that tells me this is the AlphaSim version v2, it is somehow actually the Virtavia V-22 and that just seems nuts.

rcbarend
February 20th, 2012, 16:56
I went back and looked at the zipfile to see exactly what was contained and where it should go. You're right about the dll showing in the panel folder, not being part of the new setup so that's gone, but the rest is correct. By the way, removing that dll made no difference. I still have the old style gauge in the lower left of the VC panel and even with the nacells rotated for hover, the V-22 rolls forward until it reaches normal take-off speed and never does show any inclination to lift vertically.

The only other explanation, which seems unlikely, is that despite the fact that everything in both the aircraft.cfg file and panel file that tells me this is the AlphaSim version v2, it is somehow actually the Virtavia V-22 and that just seems nuts.

Hi Ed,

No, this isn't for the Virtavia version. :)

Please check:
1. Did you read posts #17/18 ?
Because that explains why Vertical Takeoff might not work.

2. I myself am still very puzzled with the physical/logical folder structures in W7. Still don't fully understand that.
What I do notice in your screenshot:
Your path shows:
.... SimObjects\Military\ALPHA MV-22 Osprey\panel\....
whereas my zipfile uses
.....SimObjects\Airplanes\ALPHA MV-22 Osprey\panel\....
Don't know if this is relevant or not.

3. I created rcbvca30.zip, so it would work with any prior installed addon version.
This means that the presence of rcb_vtol.dll is irrelevant, because it isn't referenced in the new panel.cfg anymore.
Instead I'm using sswvtol.dll, which doesn't require FSUIPC .

4. (for Paul Anderson).
There's a hughe difference between rcbvca30.zip and previous versions; especially in the STOL behavior, but also in VTOL.
That is: in much more realistic behavior of features like GroundEffect, STOL/VTOL weight-dependancies, HOGE-ceiling, etc etc.
See the README.

Regards, Rob

Paul Anderson
February 20th, 2012, 17:53
Sorry, Rob.
I did not mean to sound like I was trivializing the changes between this and the previous version.
I had fired it up and took off straight up and gradually switched to horizontal when I stated thinking about Ed's panel folder picture,
so I hadn't spent much time with it.
It would have been clearer for me to have said that the difference between this and the previous version was less than if it was not working at all.
Have spent an hour or so with it now, can appreciate the changes more, great fun.

Thanks
Paul.

falcon409
February 20th, 2012, 18:33
Hi Ed,

No, this isn't for the Virtavia version. :)
Yea, I just meant that somehow ,while everything seemed to be telling me otherwise that I actually had the Virtavia V-22, lol.

Please check:
1. Did you read posts #17/18 ?
Because that explains why Vertical Takeoff might not work.
I went ahead and installed and since it didn't say otherwise, I assume it was present on my system. I saw those posts and saw a reference to Vista and just went right past it. My mistake

2. I myself am still very puzzled with the physical/logical folder structures in W7. Still don't fully understand that.
What I do notice in your screenshot:
Your path shows:
.... SimObjects\Military\ALPHA MV-22 Osprey\panel\....
whereas my zipfile uses
.....SimObjects\Airplanes\ALPHA MV-22 Osprey\panel\....
Don't know if this is relevant or not. . . . . .

Regards, Rob
Actually that's a personal preference change I made about a year ago. Besides the base "Airplanes" folder I made others like "General Aviation, Military, Bush, Vintage & Vintage Military" and separated my aircraft into those folders. As long as all that is present in FSX.cfg, the sim knows where to find all the airplanes.

Anyway, back to the main problem. . . .it's not a problem any more. I assume the runtime installation did the trick because I didn't do anything else. Thanks Rob. . .love being able to control the Nacelles with the prop pitch lever now, very cool stuff.:applause::applause:

rcbarend
February 20th, 2012, 18:49
Sorry, Rob.
It would have been clearer for me to have said that the difference between this and the previous version was less than if it was not working at all.
Paul.
Hi Paul,

Don't worry, no offence taken :icon_lol:
And I absolutely agree with

"" .... the difference between this and the previous version was less than if it was not working at all.""

The point is just how you look at an addon like this, or versions of it.
From an overall point-of-view: I do admit there isn't much difference; it still does VTOL, still hovers, etc.
It's just in the detail of those functions where there are significant changes; in my view: significant improvements :icon_lol:
But I'm very biassed of course, since that is what I am focussing on.

Best regards, Rob

rcbarend
February 20th, 2012, 18:55
Yea, I just meant that somehow ,while everything seemed to be telling me otherwise that I actually had the Virtavia V-22, lol.

I went ahead and installed and since it didn't say otherwise, I assume it was present on my system. I saw those posts and saw a reference to Vista and just went right past it. My mistake

Actually that's a personal preference change I made about a year ago. Besides the base "Airplanes" folder I made others like "General Aviation, Military, Bush, Vintage & Vintage Military" and separated my aircraft into those folders. As long as all that is present in FSX.cfg, the sim knows where to find all the airplanes.

Anyway, back to the main problem. . . .it's not a problem any more. I assume the runtime installation did the trick because I didn't do anything else. Thanks Rob. . .love being able to control the Nacelles with the prop pitch lever now, very cool stuff.:applause::applause:
Okay, Ed.
Glad you got it sorted out, and like it ...
:icon29: Rob

Creepy847
February 21st, 2012, 13:48
Thx Rob love it...

Creeps.

Paul Anderson
February 22nd, 2012, 10:54
First off, this is not a complaint or criticism, no solution wished for, just an observation on a situation that couldn't have been anticipated.
Situation? Due to the lack of nice boats in FSX (how's that for an excuse?) I had added contact points so the Osprey could float.
Observation? When floating with engines at idle the plane gradually picks up speed in reverse, with props and/or joystick in any position.
Probably due to different physics of land and water ground effects or something.
Just thought I'd mention it in case there were other 'boaters' out there, a little throttle applied will fix.

P.S. I don't know why Alphasim changed this between FS9 and FSX, but the plane now defaults to loading with electrical on.
You can better approximate a cold and dark start if you change the aircraft.cfg [electrical] entry 'electric_always_available = 1'
from 1 to 0. Shift/M can then be used to get those electrons moving. Ctrl/E still used to start engines.

rcbarend
February 22nd, 2012, 14:46
Hi Paul,

Nice effect :applause: :icon_lol:

But as you said, this is outside spec/design.

I can easily explain why this happens, assuming that the gear is not extended when you are in the water. Right ?
(must be, since the last picture shows nacelles at 0 or 10 degrees, which isn't possible with landing gear extended and engines running).
Moreover, the Radio Altitude of the Osprey in the water, is quite different then when on wheels on the land. Which is a very critical parameter in my gauge.

However, although not very realistic for an Osprey, it's a nice gimmick.
With some added tricks in the code, I could probably easily make VTOL takeoff/landings possible without this effect.
That is: when limited to nacelles fully vertical only (in fact, my code would force the nacelles into vertical when in the water), otherwise it gets too complex. So no STOL takeoffs/landings, which would look rediculous anyway with the engine blades ploughing though the water. :)

Also, it would require that your contact point definitions do not mess up the existing (wheel) contact points.
So if you like, send me your contact-point section of the aircraft.cfg (please, normal Email only, see my Email address in the README) and I'll have a look next week.

fsafranek
February 22nd, 2012, 21:27
Very cool. Starting to see a lot more of these over my house and down around Miramar. Usually in two ship flights. They have a very distinct sound as they approach, when they go overhead, and then as they fly away. Pretty cool watching them on final into Miramar.
:ernae:

Paul Anderson
February 24th, 2012, 07:14
Rob, thank you for your kind indulgence in accomodating water VTOL in your gauge package.
Unrealistic though it may be, the Osprey now plays nicely in the water.
As you indicated, there probably will be a serious application for it some day.
Now as long as someone doesn't turn it into a submarine .... :icon_lol:

rcbarend
February 24th, 2012, 15:39
Rob, thank you for your kind indulgence in accomodating water VTOL in your gauge package.
Unrealistic though it may be, the Osprey now plays nicely in the water.
As you indicated, there probably will be a serious application for it some day.
Now as long as someone doesn't turn it into a submarine .... :icon_lol:
Hi Paul,
OK, glad it works :)

If any other simmer is interrested: I can upload this as an update on rcbvca30.zip.

Lionheart
February 25th, 2012, 05:14
I heard the most bizzare, loud sound coming from outside the house one day. I thought, that must be one of those Russian airliner helicopters or something! I must see this! I ran outside in time to see one of these massive things disappear over the roof tops. Wild sound....

The plane looks like real fun! If Rob did the airfile, it must be awesome to fly.

doublecool
February 25th, 2012, 07:57
just a question but is this a more real effect for the twin blades on the Osprey59801