PDA

View Full Version : Pitot tube blocked?

sinanziric
February 16th, 2012, 02:29
I saw pitot heater switch in my plane, does that means my pitot tube could freeze at higher altitude if i don't turn on my pitot heaters?
Does it work? cause i have never experienced wrong indication on my static instruments..

PilatusTurbo
February 16th, 2012, 02:36
Don't think it's actually simulated, but, because the VCs of so many FS planes are now immaculately modeled, it's included.

Others will chime in, but I've never run into any issue with static stuff freezing up. :ernae:

dhasdell
February 16th, 2012, 02:42
I am not sure whether it was in the Pilatus or the Maule, but I flew in Switzerland recently and realised my ASi wasn't working. Switching on the pitot heater brought it back to life. I was so impressed that I told Mrs H, who reacted with her usual interest.

Daube
February 16th, 2012, 02:48
Don't think it's actually simulated, but, because the VCs of so many FS planes are now immaculately modeled, it's included.

Others will chime in, but I've never run into any issue with static stuff freezing up. :ernae:

Yes it is simulated in FSX, including on the default planes.
If you don't set the pitot heat, your airspeed gauge will quickly stop working.

sinanziric
February 16th, 2012, 02:49
I am not sure whether it was in the Pilatus or the Maule, but I flew in Switzerland recently and realised my ASi wasn't working. Switching on the pitot heater brought it back to life. I was so impressed that I told Mrs H, who reacted with her usual interest.

Can you link me to those planes i would like to test :D i suppose tat Pilatus is Flight1 ver.? or were you flying for real :mixedsmi:

dhasdell
February 16th, 2012, 03:18
The Pilatus is pc-6c_h2turboporter.zip. Probably FlightSim.

falcon409
February 16th, 2012, 03:46
As long as the Pitot Heat switch is modeled, I make sure it's turned on before I taxi as more often than not it's effect is modeled. As Daube mentions, if you don't turn it on, under certain conditions the ASI will quit working.:salute:

Naruto-kun
February 16th, 2012, 04:11
There is actually a variable in FSX for pitot icing percentage ie 0% == unblocked, 100% == totally blocked. And yes Pitot heat gets rid of icing. Airframe icing also exists in FSX for that matter....

paiken
February 16th, 2012, 06:11
...as well as carburetor icing on piston planes. Flying in clouds in the winter almost always causes carburetor and pitot tube icing.

PilatusTurbo
February 16th, 2012, 06:47
Well, hell, I gotta go fly one of my piston planes up into high clouds on a cold day. I wanna see the air frame ice effect! :ernae: Wonder if she'll actually start losing speed and increasing angle of attack, or stalling even.... That would be too cool. :salute:

Daube
February 16th, 2012, 06:53
Well, hell, I gotta go fly one of my piston planes up into high clouds on a cold day. I wanna see the air frame ice effect! :ernae: Wonder if she'll actually start losing speed and increasing angle of attack, or stalling even.... That would be too cool. :salute:

When FSX went available, there were a lot of messages on the forums from people complaining about the 747's suddently dropping in a stall from level flights.
Icing "visuals" are not modelled in the default planes, but the effects are there, as far as I know.

sinanziric
February 16th, 2012, 06:54

Same here :jump:

Actually I might make a nice video out of this experiment :wavey:

centuryseries
February 16th, 2012, 10:16
Pitot heat definitely does work in FSX. Noticed it on my SR-71 in certain weather conditions when I forgot to turn on pitot heat for take-off and part of the climb.

Naruto-kun
February 16th, 2012, 10:36
Pity they dont simulate friction temperature since the SR-71 shouldnt even need airframe anti ice......

MarkH
February 16th, 2012, 11:32
Don't think it's actually simulated

Yes it is simulated, happens all the time. (Okay, not all the time but you know hat I mean...)

stansdds
February 17th, 2012, 03:10
Yes, icing is simulated in FSX. I've had the ASI begin to give lower and lower airspeed readings, yet the GPS indicated no change in ground speed. Switching "on" the pitot heat solved the issue with the ASI. I go to the Jeppesen general aviation maps weather page before starting a flight to look for winds, turbulence and icing conditions along my flight plan.

centuryseries
February 18th, 2012, 01:00
Pity they dont simulate friction temperature since the SR-71 shouldnt even need airframe anti ice......

Technically the SR-71 doesn't have any airframe de-ice except for one of the front panes of glass to enable the pilot to see! It didnt get supersonic until 30,000ft then once supersonic the pitot heat wasnt needed anymore I believe that is modelled in FSX. However the crews never intentionally flew through storm clouds and other systems that would cause airframe icing, of course once you're above all that you can fly wherever you like!