PDA

View Full Version : Old Video of Cloud 9's FSX Caravelle VC

StormILM
February 15th, 2012, 14:58
I had made mention in the AFG Caravelle thread about the possible existence of a FSX native Caravelle in development. Being that it has been quite some time since I ;ast heard anything about this model, upon hearing interest in the Caravelle, I decided to check around. I found this youtube video of the VC WIP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HevsBuk2_Vs

I'm figuring that since Cloud 9 is no more, the development of that project may have went with it but I'm not sure and have heard no specific info on the subject. It is a shame, what little I saw seemed to indicate it would have been a great and popular model. I'm wondering what became of the development files and if there's some way to revive the project through another group. If anyone can shed any light on this, it would be of interest and perhaps fuel interest in making a long overdue quality Caravelle for FSX.

Gdavis101
February 15th, 2012, 15:45
I remember that, looked pretty darn good!

guzler
February 16th, 2012, 03:17
Wow, that looks amazing

mal998
February 16th, 2012, 04:04
That has got to be some of the best VC modeling and texturing I've seen. Would love to get my hands on that one for sure.

VinFlyer
February 16th, 2012, 06:23
Yeah, I remember that project. I was a painter back than for cloud9. I did a lot of resaerch to do paints for this Caravelle, bought books. etc. But it never came any further than this preview video of the VC. It's nothing more than a 3d render, not FSX yet. They had an early model of the plane itself but a.f.a.i.k. it never made it into fsx. Died on the drawing tables together with the company. A real shame as cloud9 made real quality products and it was a great company to wiork for. FS Dreamteam took over the support of the cloud9 products but I don't think they'll ever make a Caravelle, they're more into scenery design.

delta_lima
February 16th, 2012, 08:02
Thanks Storm!

My affinity for the AFG model notwithstanding, I'd have been over the moon for a native version - especially with this level of detail.

Disappointing to hear that this looks like a dead project - but who knows - maybe someone will pick up the concept and run with it. Payware players like JF or PMDG could ostensibly run with this (the latter, in keeping with their new "classics" brand ...?).

As I mentioned in the AFG Caravelle thread, a lower-hanging fruit approach could be a freeware VC project to merge into the AFG - assuming the original AFG authors would approve the approach.

Either way, bon chance to anyone who can bring some (more) Caravelle goodness to FSX!!! :icon29:

DL