PDA

View Full Version : Static display A-7 Corsair? USN?

Navy Chief
February 15th, 2012, 10:34
To my knowledge, a static display USN A-7 Corsair II has not been done. I think MAIW may something in the works that may include Corsair IIs, but it will be for FS9 I guess.

Guy Diotte has created a lot of magnificent static display aircraft for scenery, but the Corsair II hasn't been done yet.

Anyone out there know how to make them? I toyed with the Scenery Object Maker a while back, but the FPS hit was just too high to use the Corsair IIs I'd made, using that program.

Just thinking out loud. When the USS Enterprise scenery gets released, it would be awesome to add SLUFs to that flight deck!

Navy Chief

stovall
February 15th, 2012, 10:46
Navy Chief, I will forward this to Guy Diotte as he is always looking for a new project. Just communicated with him this morning.

Update, Message sent to Guy!

Navy Chief
February 15th, 2012, 12:49
Navy Chief, I will forward this to Guy Diotte as he is always looking for a new project. Just communicated with him this morning.

Update, Message sent to Guy!

Thanks very much! I too, have communicated with Guy before (although not on a regular basis). I have told him how much I appreciate his creations! I would definitely appreciate it if he makes a Corsair II (both USN and USAF!) NC

Bone
February 15th, 2012, 13:05
I have the Guy D. static models, but when I place them with instant scenery2 they are about ten times bigger than scale. I have DL'd some scenery that uses the same models, and they look great and are to the correct scale, but when I try to place my own, the models get HUGE.

Navy Chief
February 15th, 2012, 13:19
I have the Guy D. static models, but when I place them with instant scenery2 they are about ten times bigger than scale. I have DL'd some scenery that uses the same models, and they look great and are to the correct scale, but when I try to place my own, the models get HUGE.

As I'd mentioned, I'd tinkered with such things, but you aren't able to resize them? Pete

stovall
February 15th, 2012, 14:19
Check the download from Guy, he mentions what the scale size of what each of his object should be. That can be made by changing the number 1 in the scale to the correct number when placing the object. I use Object Placer and have no problems with changing the scale. Check out the xml file of the objects and make the change there as well. Hope this helps.

Bone
February 15th, 2012, 15:48
ok thanks

strikehawk
February 15th, 2012, 17:16
A few months back there was a program that would change an FS vehicle of any type into a static model, it will even let you choose the texture and if there were animations, show it with wings folded of the hook down. I know there was a debate about what you could or could not do for public release but if it were for personal use you could use say the Iris freeware A-7 to make a static bird and stick it on a pole or pad. I can't remember the name of the program but I did use it a couple of times and it's not that hard to use. Just read the docs and you'll be fine.

stovall
February 15th, 2012, 19:02
It is called Static Aircraft .mdl Maker © 2010-2011 by Don Grovestine. You can find it HERE. (http://www.stuff4fs.com) It is under User Applications.

The aircraft for conversion must be a FS9 model. FSX Models and earlier versions of FS will not work.

There are several good tools on this site with the above being one of them.

Update: Guy Diotte has responded with saying he will make the A-7 Corsair II but it will be a few weeks.

Victory103
February 16th, 2012, 03:30
Navy Chief, the MAIW JAI model that is out will work fine in FSX. You probably saw the massive AF A-7D/K repaints that were released, the Navy SLUF's are next. Not full on MAIW packages, just repaints and there is a way with flightplans to make a model static. You might be able to request a certain squadron.

Navy Chief
February 16th, 2012, 03:55
Navy Chief, the MAIW JAI model that is out will work fine in FSX. You probably saw the massive AF A-7D/K repaints that were released, the Navy SLUF's are next. Not full on MAIW packages, just repaints and there is a way with flightplans to make a model static. You might be able to request a certain squadron.

Good news, thanks Tom Stovall, and Victory too! As for the MAIW models, I don't know how to extract/use them from the package. Is it difficult to do? As for requesting certain squadrons, that would be hard to choose! I would want to replicate all of the squadrons from Cecil!!!

NC

mal998
February 16th, 2012, 04:18
While we're on this subject, if anybody speaks with Guy Diotte again, would you please request an early version F4F Wildcat. I've been working on some scenery for Wake Isalnd and Midway and would love to get some Wildcats placed at Henderson. I have tried to make a static myself but have not had any luck with it. Thanks in advance.

skyhawka4m
February 16th, 2012, 05:02
It is called Static Aircraft .mdl Maker © 2010-2011 by Don Grovestine. You can find it HERE. (http://www.stuff4fs.com) It is under User Applications.

The aircraft for conversion must be a FS9 model. FSX Models and earlier versions of FS will not work.

There are several good tools on this site with the above being one of them.

Update: Guy Diotte has responded with saying he will make the A-7 Corsair II but it will be a few weeks.

Actually it now looks like Version 2 of the mdl.maker now does FSX aircraft.

What tool can be used to place aircraft?

stovall
February 16th, 2012, 06:47
Navy Chief, Guy would like to know if there is a particular paint scheme you would like. He usually does two different ones. Give me two that are your favorites and I will get them right back to Guy.

Skyhawka4m, Once you know the GUID number I usually use the SDK Object Placer Tool. It can also be done with Scenery X.

Good news about the AI Aircraft mdl maker using FSX models. I will definitely check that out. Please remember these would be for personal use only unless the author gives permission to use them. That is very important on payware models.

I will tell Guy he can put the F4F Wildcat in line after the Corsair. He loves a new project.

jdhaenens
February 16th, 2012, 07:10
A quick tip on scaling static A/C in the sim: I just make a box with the right width and length dimensions(from wikipedia or whatever), make it a meter or two tall, export it into the object library, place the box in the sim, then place the scale problem model on the box and expand/contract the A/C until it fits in the box. This is extremely easy with Instant Scenery. Look at the scale number in IS and you've got it for the rest of the planes of that type you would like to place.

Navy Chief
February 16th, 2012, 07:13
Navy Chief, Guy would like to know if there is a particular paint scheme you would like. He usually does two different ones. Give me two that are your favorites and I will get them right back to Guy.

Skyhawka4m, Once you know the GUID number I usually use the SDK Object Placer Tool. It can also be done with Scenery X.

Good news about the AI Aircraft mdl maker using FSX models. I will definitely check that out. Please remember these would be for personal use only unless the author gives permission to use them. That is very important on payware models.

I will tell Guy he can put the F4F Wildcat in line after the Corsair. He loves a new project.

Hi Tom! Thanks so much for communicating with Guy for me, and as for what paint schemes, that would be easy:

VA-15 "Valions"

and

VA-83 "Rampagers"

Thanks again!

Pete

stovall
February 16th, 2012, 07:20
Pete, I will send this directly to guy and he will get right on it. I know MAIW models are out there and have used'em but Guy's models are really good and easy to install. I used them heavily in the upcoming Iwo Jima scenery.

Bone
February 16th, 2012, 08:40
A quick tip on scaling static A/C in the sim: I just make a box with the right width and length dimensions(from wikipedia or whatever), make it a meter or two tall, export it into the object library, place the box in the sim, then place the scale problem model on the box and expand/contract the A/C until it fits in the box. This is extremely easy with Instant Scenery. Look at the scale number in IS and you've got it for the rest of the planes of that type you would like to place.

Thanks, Jim. I'll try it out.

Navy Chief
February 16th, 2012, 08:58
Pete, I will send this directly to guy and he will get right on it. I know MAIW models are out there and have used'em but Guy's models are really good and easy to install. I used them heavily in the upcoming Iwo Jima scenery.

Much appreciated! Once Guy has worked his "magic", then I can finally populate NAS Cecil Field's flight line with SLUFs again!

This will be awesome!

Pete

fsafranek
February 16th, 2012, 11:07
Just thinking out loud. When the USS Enterprise scenery gets released, it would be awesome to add SLUFs to that flight deck!

Navy Chief
The FSX version currently has seven A-7Es on the deck representing VA-22 and VA-94.
Also since it is a moving carrier you can't put statics on it anyway. We're looking into
a static version with full nav aids (again something you can't include on a moving carrier)
but the deck eye candy will be fixed in place.

:ernae:

Bone
February 16th, 2012, 11:11
That's looking very good, Frank.

Navy Chief
February 16th, 2012, 13:07
The FSX version currently has seven A-7Es on the deck representing VA-22 and VA-94.
Also since it is a moving carrier you can't put statics on it anyway. We're looking into
a static version with full nav aids (again something you can't include on a moving carrier)
but the deck eye candy will be fixed in place.

That's cool anyway!!! But to be able to add static Corsair IIs to land scenery will be a lot of fun. Lemoore AND Cecil!

NC

fsafranek
February 16th, 2012, 15:46
That's cool anyway!!! But to be able to add static Corsair IIs to land scenery will be a lot of fun. Lemoore AND Cecil!

NC
Absolutely and with the wings unfolded. SDB has a couple home port scenerys in the works.

Navy Chief
February 16th, 2012, 16:25
It's a good thing I am single now.... With all this cool stuff being released, it would definitely put a strain on a marriage!!!

So, living on Sanibel Island, single, no responsibilities (except to my cat)....it just doesn't get any better!!!!

NC

stovall
February 22nd, 2012, 20:05
Navy Chief, I just got an email from Guy Diotte and your Corsair is coming along nicely. The model is almost complete and then the paint will go on for your two requested schemes. He sent some preview shots which I would like to publish but out of respect for Guy I will wait till the final. It should not be long now. This guy is one of those talented people that add so much to our hobby.

Navy Chief
February 23rd, 2012, 10:25
Navy Chief, I just got an email from Guy Diotte and your Corsair is coming along nicely. The model is almost complete and then the paint will go on for your two requested schemes. He sent some preview shots which I would like to publish but out of respect for Guy I will wait till the final. It should not be long now. This guy is one of those talented people that add so much to our hobby.

Tom, that is so awesome! Thanks to you, and of course, to Guy Diotte, for taking the time to create these for me (for the community!).

His models are great, and I will (at long last) be able to populate flight lines, without a great impact on FPS.

Thank you so much!

NC

Dimus
February 23rd, 2012, 22:55
This is great! I could also use a Corsair to add to the Hellenic Air Force Museum in my Tatoi scenery. I have used Guy's excellent F-5 and F-104 so far. I will make my own skin for that so I am just waiting for the model.

Then I would be just missing a HU-16B Albatross, a Mirage F1, a T-33, an F-86D, An F-86E and a Mig-15 to complete the external static displays.:jump: Maybe I should try this converter program.

Bone
February 24th, 2012, 07:32
This is great! I could also use a Corsair to add to the Hellenic Air Force Museum in my Tatoi scenery. I have used Guy's excellent F-5 and F-104 so far. I will make my own skin for that so I am just waiting for the model.

Then I would be just missing a HU-16B Albatross, a Mirage F1, a T-33, an F-86D, An F-86E and a Mig-15 to complete the external static displays.:jump: Maybe I should try this converter program.

The following scenery has a T-33, F-86E, F-100D, Mirage 2000 (2 types), S-2 Tracker, and F-104 static models. They're not up to Guy's standards, but they're not bad, either.

http://secure.simmarket.com/gsnext-hsinchu-air-force-base.phtml

stovall
February 27th, 2012, 16:41
Navy Chief et al. Check Flightsim.com in the a.m. for the A7 Corsair II by Guy Diotte. It should be there tomorrow. Looks fantastic. Have fun!!!

fsafranek
February 28th, 2012, 07:29
Navy Chief et al. Check Flightsim.com in the a.m. for the A7 Corsair II by Guy Diotte. It should be there tomorrow. Looks fantastic. Have fun!!!
I see it up there on flightsim.com this morning. Looks very nice with a couple texture sets and loadout options (MDL file size nearly tripled with external tanks and bombs though). Not sure what model you wanted but this one appears to be an A-7B with the 20mm on both sides of the intakes.

Navy Chief
February 28th, 2012, 16:24
Was away for a couple days, but just downloaded it. THANK YOU Guy Diotte for this wonderful static aircraft model!!!

I will email him myself, and Tom...thanks again for assisting me with contacting Guy; I really, REALLY appreciate this so very much!!!

Pete

stovall
February 28th, 2012, 20:11
Pete, always glad to help. Guy does a great job and jump right on this project. Enjoy. :jump: