PDA

View Full Version : Gmax Basics; Tutorials?

OleBoy
February 14th, 2012, 13:28
This looks to be a good starting point. http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9660 Although links referred are gone.

Can anyone direct me to any basic tutorials for creating scenery objects?

It's time to learn this for myself.

Meshman
February 14th, 2012, 13:39
Maybe this, courtesy of Robin and Godzone, his New Zealand scenery site;

http://windowlight.co.nz/store/index.php?main_page=page&id=5&chapter=1

OleBoy
February 14th, 2012, 13:52
Maybe this, courtesy of Robin and Godzone, his New Zealand scenery site;

http://windowlight.co.nz/store/index.php?main_page=page&id=5&chapter=1

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the assist, MM

One thing. Is there a way to just download it instead of viewing it in the browser? EDIT: Cancel that. Solved

paiken
February 14th, 2012, 13:57
You can also look for the gmax bible on amazon.com or ebay. Comes in very handy.
Just remember when you start pulling your hair out and screaming at your computer that you did this voluntarily and have no one to blame but yourself!:icon_lol:

Seriously, have fun with it. One heck of a learning curve, but worth it in the end.

OleBoy
February 14th, 2012, 14:11
You can also look for the gmax bible on amazon.com or ebay. Comes in very handy.
Just remember when you start pulling your hair out and screaming at your computer that you did this voluntarily and have no one to blame but yourself!:icon_lol:

Seriously, have fun with it. One heck of a learning curve, but worth it in the end.

Thanks for the mention of the 'bible'. Having seen that earlier I was already aware of it.

I know that jumping into modeling is a major undertaking. I've got experience in mechanical drawing, drafting, some engineering, blue-prints etc, and have applied my knowledge using Google Sketchup. I've built several models fairly elaborate, just that I had troubles getting them into FSX without poly (part) or texture issues causing trouble. I figure that if I am going to do this out of 'want', then I need to do it myself and learn. Here is one of my own designs. One that did not work. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?54455-Someone-to-model-a-building-for-me&highlight=paintshop

I think if I don't get in a hurry (learn the tools first), I should be ok. There are several here I am sure that would help me along the way if needed.

Thanks for your response and willingness to help me out. :)

Bjoern
February 15th, 2012, 06:55
Milton Shupe's: http://www.flightsimonline.com/C162/

OleBoy
February 15th, 2012, 07:53
Miltons tut is quite a ways off base for what I want to do. There may be relevancy as a whole, although I'm not planning (or wanting) to build aircraft. Definitely a good resource link for those who wish to go that direction.

Thanks

Tako_Kichi
February 15th, 2012, 09:11
Do a search for 'gmax' and 'trainz' as there are a few tutorials out there for making buildings for the railway sim. The gmax principles are the same regardless of final sim.

OleBoy
February 15th, 2012, 10:14
Found them earlier on. I think I found the tutorials I need. I'm working on my BMP images first to map from so I don't get ahead of myself. LOL!

Bjoern
February 16th, 2012, 09:31
I'm working on my BMP images first to map from so I don't get ahead of myself.

3-views?

Yeah, they're quite important, but don't trust 'em too much. Always cross-reference your work with photos of the real thing to get your model to look right.

Lionheart
February 16th, 2012, 16:42
Welcome to modeling for FS OleBoy.

Arno at FSDeveloper.com is HUGE in the scenery world and has made alot of great scenery creation tools. Ask him key questions and he can direct you into the right directions, etc.

His ModelConverterX can do alot with Scenery object creation, and I believe can get Google models into FSX easily.

Making your models directly from bitmaps (photos) with scenery is probably best. I think Bjoern was thinking you were going to be making planes. Buildings are a bit easier.

Main thing to remember.. most important, is to have fun. :D

Bill

OleBoy
February 16th, 2012, 17:13
Thanks for the input, Bill. I'm not sure if I can pull this stuff off or not. I'll at least give it a good go. Who knows. Thanks for the tip about Arno. I may have to pay him a visit to ask a question or two :icon_lol:

Bjoern, I don't need 3-views for scenery objects. I can pretty much just create what I need from memory and pictures. But thanks for the replies :wavey:

Lionheart
February 17th, 2012, 07:18
Thanks for the input, Bill. I'm not sure if I can pull this stuff off or not.

No problem and I am sure you can. Once you learn how to export, then how to map the textures onto the objects, you become a total addict and start putting things everywhere in the FS world.

I can pretty much just create what I need from memory and pictures. But thanks for the replies :wavey:

A cool technique is to make art graphics on a pure square sheet (JPG) that is maybe 2048 pixels square. It must be perfectly square. Then, make a plane (flat side) and make it square also and map that texture (JPG) onto that background plane (square panel). Move it back a ways, and then use that to make your buildings and things off of, like a template. You can use 'Tape Measure' to find a pic area on the Plane and adjust the size of the Plane (scale) and then when you make parts from it, they will be to scale. Tape measure is our friend. ;)

Also, the Planes (backgrounds) are much more easier to manage then Bitmap 'backgrounds' (actual Gmax scene backgrounds), as the backgrounds tend to move, eat up tons of memory (bitmaps) and are horrible to adjust and scale. With 3D flat planes as backgrounds, you can move them, hide them, adjust them, use JPGs (low memory useage) etc, etc. Thats a couple of our tricks.

Bill

OleBoy
February 17th, 2012, 08:53
Thanks for the tips!!

My wife is printing out the tutorials for me today. Easier than changing screens to view a PDF. I might start putting something together this weekend :wiggle:

Bjoern
February 17th, 2012, 11:24
Bjoern, I don't need 3-views for scenery objects. I can pretty much just create what I need from memory and pictures.

Oh. Well, that should have been pointed out...

Anyway, scenery design is a good way to get started with GMax. Buildings are generally fairly easy to do.

OleBoy
February 17th, 2012, 11:43
Can anyone direct me to any basic tutorials for creating scenery objects?

Oh. Well, that should have been pointed out...

I thought I did in the main topic :mixedsmi::icon_lol:

Bjoern
February 18th, 2012, 08:11
I thought I did in the main topic :mixedsmi::icon_lol:

Oops. Apparently, I'm too dumb to live read.