PDA

View Full Version : Stimulating the economy $$$$ with FSX

limjack
February 13th, 2012, 19:33
As I was printing off all my paperwork for purchases I have made over the past 4 years I thought I would add up the amount I have put into FSX (not counting the computer, new graphics card , ram and so forth).
Boy, was I surprised at the amount. 1500.00 dollars. So if I have spent that much, I bet my fellow simmers have spent even more since I am a conservitive spender.

So how much have you spent on FSX? :icon_lol:

Some of the goodies I have purchased..
Yoke, rudder ped, track IR, REX, Traffic X, A2A goodies, captain sim goodies, Orbx Goodies, Mega Scenery goodies, PMDG and on and on.

I didn't think I spent that much but it does add up.

I now have a binder with all my paperwork so I will not loose any "KEY" numbers or order numbers in case the computer ever goes off line (if I have to evac the house, grab binder of sim).

Jim

crashaz
February 13th, 2012, 22:07
Oof will have to answer this one tomorrow... late... will post later after I add it up.

FSX - the Real Stimulus :icon_lol:

Barnes
February 13th, 2012, 22:15
I know without even looking that I spend around £120 each month on FSX addons. My wife always pays the Amex account so i am "kept informed"!!

That does not count other sim bits and pieces for Railworks and Rise of Flight!!

Mr.Mugel
February 14th, 2012, 00:36
To sum it up:
40€ for FSX
17€ for Acc. on ebay
8€ for Vertigo Hellcat on sale
about 10€ for AS H-1 and A2A B-377 on ebay
42€ for A2A B-17+Acc.
19€ for UTX Europe on sale
17€ for AS Tahiti

That must have been it since I use FSX. Sums up to 151€ over 4 or 5 years.
Everthing else I use of the payware sector has been legally collected in Beta participation and contests (Got to like Aerosoft for their amount of contests to win free products).

Hardware can´t be counted for me. Last years I used the home PC, now I had to get a laptop anyway for studies. Joystick is a X52 Pro that I have won in a competion (I guess I am kind of the lucky guy here :wiggle:)

huub vink
February 14th, 2012, 01:06
For me the most expensive of FSX was the computer which is required to run it reasonably smoothly.

My first payware add-ons were already for CSF2, therefore I don't know how much I've spend over the the years. But it im most likely more than my wife wants to know. In the past I bought more payware than I currently do, as I noticed I had quite some payware which I hardly used. Normally I purchased a model as soon at it was released. Now I wait for a while and when I still want it after a few months I will purchase it.

Cheers,
Huub

stansdds
February 14th, 2012, 02:56
I have no idea how much I've spent. I really don't count the cost of my computer or the input devices as they are all used for other sims as well. I do have some payware aircraft, Ultimate Traffic 2, Ultimate Terrain X USA, Active Sky 2012, and of course FSX deluxe and the SP2/Acceleration expansion pack. All of that adds up to somewhere around $250 and that cost is spread out over 4 years or so. I must say that flight sims are actually a low cost hobby, at least for me.

italoc
February 14th, 2012, 05:02
I don't know ... and I don't want to know !!!:salute:
After all I enjoyed it and I am still enjoying FSX !!!!!:applause:
Italo

dougal
February 14th, 2012, 05:33
Oh dear, how sad is this.... I can tell you to the damn penny!

My first PC flight sim was FS2004.

Since then, each addon was added to an Access database, including how much I paid.

Since the purchase of FS2004: £6,117.54 GBP, NOT including PC hardware, but does include hardware controllers.

Please don't tell my wife though eh?

fallenphoenix1986
February 14th, 2012, 06:01
For the good of my health I don't wana know :kilroy:

Craig

Scandinavian
February 14th, 2012, 08:35
For the good of my health I don't wana know :kilroy:

Craig

+1 It's too much.

big-mike
February 14th, 2012, 08:36
Never want to know it!
Michael

warchild
February 14th, 2012, 09:39
Since i primarily develope for flight sim, my machine gets tossed in, thats 5,000 right there. Seven Arianes at 80 to 150 dollars each?/ thats another thousand dollars right there. My aircraft folder boasts 2000 seperate folders. Most of that is payware. Controllers have all been Saitek@ between 100 - 200 dollaers a pop. I've probably got about 10,000 to 12,000 dollars tied up in flight sim.
But lets keep things in perspective.. Ninety percent of my time is spent in a chair. I'm not exactly the most mobile of people any more. All my family is right here at SOH. The only family I have. A few thousand dollars is nothing to be able to be here and have you guys as a family.. You people enrich my life in ways that no dollar bill ever could.
Pam

big-mike
February 14th, 2012, 10:00
. Ninety percent of my time is spent in a chair. I'm not exactly the most mobile of people any more. All my family is right here at SOH. The only family I have. A few thousand dollars is nothing to be able to be here and have you guys as a family.. You people enrich my life in ways that no dollar bill ever could.
Pam

How true-----unfortunately-----Pam.
I´m nearing that point too,life had changed during the last few years dramatically!
I enjoy my hobby as much as i can,the money i`ve spent for it ,was well invested.
My best wishes for you,take care.
Michael

robertorizzo
February 14th, 2012, 10:06
Great people make great site!

Every single penny worths.

I do not want to know how many, I just know when simflying I'm happy. Enough.

pilottj
February 14th, 2012, 10:14
Over the years ive spent quite a few $$$ in the FS world and computer component world. It is very worth it. I am sure there are those who would say I could have spent it on better things, like even buying real flight time. Well as wonderful and amazing as real flight time is, it is very finite. Say you have $1000. Ok now you need to get your medical, probably take a written, go up with a CFI to get current, buy charts, latest FAR/AIM...etc...maybe have enough left over to buy a few hours of flight time. I've got about 350hrs in my logbook...would I like more...you bet...what pilot wouldn't? I have flown from one end of the country to the other. I have had my fun, it was wonderful, but very very costly for short bits of fun. The $ goes much much further in FS and can last much much longer, especially in a slow economy. So yes it is very worth it. I can keep my mind 'current' with proceedures and techniques in FS, so when the opertunity comes to fly for real again, it will be relatively easy to get back in it.

Roger
February 14th, 2012, 10:31
Like many here I'm 90% happy with my payware downloads and I really don't want to add up those £....:wiggle:

OleBoy
February 15th, 2012, 11:49
I went as far as I will. I arrived at 63 purchases just on sim add-ons in the past couple years. My FSX PC, monitor and controls, close to 4K

strykerpsg
February 15th, 2012, 19:44
Man, thank goodness I don't have a significant other to answer too or I would be divorced. Just FSX stuff alone is ridiculous. Let's not even talk about hardward upgrades through the years....

Luckily, kids finishing high school shortly and off to their adult lives. That give me two bedroom to transition into my own man caves..will certainly make one a guest room/workout center, the other is just dying to become a simulation center.

Matt

sinanziric
February 17th, 2012, 02:41
XXXXX - Ground Environment - Order Password: XXXX
XXXXX - Flight Environment - Order Password: XXXX
XXXXX - Legendary C-130 Pro - Order Password: XXXX
XXXXX - DreamFleet Archer III - Order Password: XXXX

these are my FS2004 orders :/ (year 2006/2007)

MY FSX orders:

1. ORBX Fullterrain bundle NA 100 gbp
2. A2A B-17 with accusim + P-47 with accusim around 70-80 GBP
3. GEX 2.0 extreme (40 GBP is it?)
4. Flight 1 SkyCatcher (around 30 gbp)

And consider i live in Balkans poor state Bosnia I invest too much in that case :)

Overshoe
February 17th, 2012, 09:26
I started to add it up and found that since Christmas 2009 I have spent over $800 at ONE vendor. I stopped looking because it must be that much again since 2006 at one other vendor and who knows how much through Paypal or to small independents. Add to that THREE computers and SEVEN video cards since FSX release and a full set of CH products... I don't think I want to know the total.

crashaz
February 17th, 2012, 14:24
LOL I think you got me beat Tom. Just recently have been doing the payware in bunches... also a lot of hardware plus a Saitek setup.

ryanbatc
February 17th, 2012, 19:41
Just THIS YEAR I've spent at least $500+ (though that includes my saitek rudder pedals)

Last year I'm sure I spent at least 500 bucks on software addons... Not to mention I bought my new PC last year, there was another $2000 yikes!

Though, the way I see it, it's still FAR cheaper than flying for real. I was about to take up flying again (weekend warrior type of thing) and budgeting for about $500/month on flying cost for rental, 5hrs/month. I was planning on sharing cost with two other pilot friends... 6000 year on real flying...and that's on a budget... yah it would have been pricey. I decided not to do it this year - maybe next...