PDA

View Full Version : Liberator over Sanibel this past Friday....

Navy Chief
February 12th, 2012, 14:02
Last Friday, late morning, I was outside my sister's house, and heard a large recip aircraft flying overhead. I looked up, and was quite surprised to see a B-24! Beautiful to see and hear. It flew back around again. From what I Googled, it belongs to the Collins Foundation. They must have been down in the area for an airshow; don't know. NC

olaf1924
February 12th, 2012, 14:31
nice photo :applause:

TeaSea
February 12th, 2012, 15:12
Oh yeah! Collins Foundation flies these guys every year.

A couple years ago I was coming into Keystone Municipal (42J) to do some work at Camp Blanding and there was "Witchcraft" in the pattern. Quite a thrill to be on downwind with a B-24J. Completely by accident.

Bomber_12th
February 12th, 2012, 16:06
The Collings Foundation just started this year's annual national tour a couple of weeks ago. They remain on the road, flying from one stop to another, through the course of the year. The bombers and the TP-51C winter-over in Florida, at American Aero Services, where they receive their annuals each year. Thus, Florida serves as the starting and end points of the tour year.

FAC257
February 12th, 2012, 16:28
NC

On Friday they were in Fort Meyers and arrived in Venice later that day.

I've been seeing the B-17 flying past the house on it's way back into land several times this weekend. I never did see the B-24 overhead.

FAC

Navy Chief
February 13th, 2012, 05:55
NC

On Friday they were in Fort Meyers and arrived in Venice later that day.

I've been seeing the B-17 flying past the house on it's way back into land several times this weekend. I never did see the B-24 overhead.

FAC

Oh, I wish it had been the B-17 that had flown overhead. That, to me, is the most "majestic" looking aircraft from the WW2 era......

NC

Railrunner130
February 13th, 2012, 15:12
My in-laws are wintering in Cape Coral and said that there's something going on this weekend at Ft. Myers. (Or was it last?) I don't know if it was an airshow or just a Collings visit.