PDA

View Full Version : Landing with AlphaSim Tu-22 (video) issues

sinanziric
February 11th, 2012, 13:20
Today I was flying with Tu-22 a bit and I was unable to land without problems (as shown on video). In real life this plane
had parachute, but in FSX AlphaSim version don't have it! Can I somehow add it? Or is there problem with my landing like
fast approach? wrong angle? or something else cause (as shown in vid) i had to swing on KSEA main runway because i was
unable to STOP!!! i would fell of the end of runway if I did not swing, what you guys say about this whole thing?

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/u6hKcIvVLpo" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

hae5904
February 11th, 2012, 13:30
Hi Sinanziric,

Well the landing itself was quite "normal", it had a reputation of having a relatively high approach/landing speed.
And no, you can't add a brake-chute, but you can add thrust reverser as an alternative.

Cheers,
Hank

sinanziric
February 11th, 2012, 13:53
Hi Sinanziric,

Well the landing itself was quite "normal", it had a reputation of having a relatively high approach/landing speed.
And no, you can't add a brake-chute, but you can add thrust reverser as an alternative.

Cheers,
Hank

:(

Well i hoped i could add brake-chute :/ thanks for info :)
Thrust Reverser would solve my problem probably but it would ruin this 1960' airplane.

by the way, i have old Tu-22 from AlphaSim, is there somewhere update for it from Alphasim/Virtavia?
or is there somewhere better version of this jet?

Thank you.

SeanTK
February 11th, 2012, 14:20
What's your landing weight and approach speed?

Your landing attitude looks to be too extreme. I don't have this addon, but going by some other Russian approach techniques, get established around 280km/h (probably +/- 10 with this plane) or so, 80-85% power, and fly the aircraft into ground effect (try 265km/h when over the threshold).
When you are 5 meters above the runway, reduce thrust to idle, and let the aircraft settle. Maybe a 6-7 degree nose-up pitch when the mains contact.
This is all very rough, but without three pointing the aircraft, a flatter landing attitude is better. As mentioned, there is a big emphasis on ground effect.

napamule
February 11th, 2012, 16:04
I suspect they left some ('drag') features out. The below tweaks will compensate better than any chute ever could.

Do you use a spoiler? If so check this line in (airplane.geometry): 'spoiler_limit=xxx' . Make xxx equal to '59.989'. That is the acceptable value, which works along with the air file entry for spoiler drag. It may well be there IS no air or cfg entry for enabling the spoiler. Happens.

Check the (brakes) section in cfg. Usually the toe_brake will be 1.000. You can make it 2.000 or even 5.000, for best braking experience. (Modeler used inferior 'brake pads' (ha). Need to test.

The flaps seem to not be offering enough drag (which require they also offer MORE lift) so you need to use flaps from some other simular jet or even the F18 (copy / paste over to your cfg). Do a 'Save' on cfg. Try it.

If you want to stop REALLY fast, make the 'spoiler drag= -1' in the air file. Seat belts REQUIRED!

If you want more CONTROL on landing (ie: glide slope, nose attitude and lower speed) use a LOT of up pitch trim. Up to 5.0, on approach. Once you get your nose up (and pitch trim allows you to KEEP there, then you can reduce power, and land at slower speed(s). Forget about using any such
thing as 'ground effect' (you'll be spinning your wheels, because basically the model, and or the flight model (flight dynamics) are 'defective').

I can do the 'surgery' if you send me the cfg and air file via PM (email). Anyway, without the model files I can't fly it, so it's not a violation of any eula.
Chuck B
Napamule

SeanTK
February 11th, 2012, 16:36
I was just doing some research, and my Russian sources indicate that the landing speed of the Tu-22 Blinder is 320 to 330 km/h!
Due to this high landing speed, there was a Russian military directive stating that the Tu-22P needed a runway length no shorter than 2700 meters long. (roughly 8800 feet).

http://www.arms.ru/nuclear/tu-22.htm

http://www.logistics.ru/9/6/i77_10871p0.htm

It could theoretically land at slightly lower airspeeds, but that required significant nose-up pitch, and with this airplane, that resulted in marked aerodynamic instability.

sinanziric
February 12th, 2012, 00:22
Thank you napamule for suggestions

Thank you Sean for research

It looks like this plane is harder to drive than i tought, i have decided not to add any braking features, i'll try to practise landing maybe it can be better.