PDA

View Full Version : Perfectly preserved portion of WWI trench and remains found

CWOJackson
February 10th, 2012, 19:41

A perfectly preserved stretch of World War I trench, being called the Pompeii of the Western Front, is being excavated in France. Here is the story along with some remarkable photographs...http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2099187/Bodies-21-German-soldiers-buried-alive-WW1-trench-perfectly-preserved-94-years-later.html

Jagdflieger
February 10th, 2012, 20:19
Interesting. A few years ago I watched a documentary of the excavation of a trench in Flanders or Belgium. In the end they had to fill it back in before the farmer who owned the land had to start planting, but they found remains, uniforms, some rusted rifles, etc.

What I found interesting is that along the various fronts in France and Belgium there were so many projectiles hitting and leaving iron fragments, that there is now a layer of rust oxide rich soil that is now considered a geologic stratum.

mrogers
February 10th, 2012, 23:51
Incrediable, so amazing, being rediscovered nearly 100 years later.

SgtT
February 11th, 2012, 01:39
What a find, I hope that they are able to preserve it. Thank you for sharing.

T.

huub vink
February 11th, 2012, 01:40
Thanks for sharing.

Huub

IanHenry
February 11th, 2012, 03:36
Fantastic, but very sad, it must have been hell on earth.

Ian.

Panther_99FS
February 11th, 2012, 12:43
:medals::medals:

brad kaste
February 11th, 2012, 13:50
Many trenches on both sides used raised slate boards to keep their boots and feet fairly dry. It still didn't do much good. Many soldiers became casualties to the dreaded trench foot disease.

AndyG43
February 11th, 2012, 14:44
A fascinating article, and an amazing discovery.

I'd like to apologise though, on behalf of my less bright countrymen, for some of the disgusting comments below that article. The Mail, unfortunately, attracts some rather unpleasant people on occasion. :(