PDA

View Full Version : Which is Better: Carenado or Eaglesoft?

ThePlainsman
February 8th, 2012, 04:04
I fly only in DX10 preview (DX10 looks better and my frame rate is as much as 300% higher with DX10 checked, which allows me to push the graphics sliders all the way to the right). I noticed Eaglesoft's entire GA line of aircraft are DX10 preview compatible. I've never owned an Eaglesoft plane. I do own four Carenado aircraft, all from the high-definition line and DX10 preview compatible. Eaglesoft's planes are not high-def, but they look good from the photos. Which company makes the better aircraft? My only experience is with Carenado, but I'm interested in considering add-on aircraft from other developers.

IanHenry
February 8th, 2012, 05:40
I think Eaglesoft aircraft are wonderful, but their Cirrus is a bit of a frame rate hog (the rest of their aircraft don't suffer that problem). I personally think that Carenado models are overrated (am I the only person community who doesn't adore them?)Check out the Liberty XL2, it’s been around for a while now, but it’s still a fantastic little aircraft model.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Regards,<o:p></o:p>
Ian.

flyingip
February 8th, 2012, 05:58
I think it is hard to decide which one makes better planes because they are both very different. Personally I prefer the looks of the Carenado models (especially their latest) as with Eaglesoft a lot is in 2D. But: The systems inside the Eaglesoft ones (I have the SR22 and the DA42) are all very good. The SR22 offers a nice avidyne suite and a realistic parachute as well. The DA42's G1000 (can be replaced by the Mindstar one) and the Thielert engines are represented realistically too. I'm pretty curious wetter Carenado will make their G1000 as good as the Eaglesoft one.

Conclusion: Carenado: Modern design techniques, good on the frame rates
Eaglesoft: Older design techniques, but good system modeling

Meshman
February 8th, 2012, 06:49
Eaglesoft works under the Flight1 purchasing program, where you can buy and fly for thirty days and if you don't like it ask for a refund.

OleBoy
February 8th, 2012, 07:44
I saw the topic and had a flashback from back in the days of, uhem, dating. :icon_lol:

PilatusTurbo
February 8th, 2012, 10:00
Good ol' Chevy vs. Ford kinda argument... ;)

No, either way, you'll find good and bad with each. I am a bit biased because Carenado has modeled so many of my favorite GA aircraft types (Bonanza V35, Cessna Twins, 185). They do have top notch modeling, too; they used to be good, but now they're amazing.

Eaglesoft, I can't say much good or bad about. Only thing I really have of theirs is the FS9 Citation II SP, which was a fantastically modeled jet. As others have said, great systems, but visually still a touch below.

Barnes
February 8th, 2012, 10:47
All i can say is that i have bought everything from Carenado for years - since fs9 days, and most of the Eaglesoft products.

I'm always hopping into carenado fleet but un-installed Eaglesoft products for numerous reasons but mainly a matter of taste if im really honest.

Sascha66
February 8th, 2012, 11:13
Carenado - I fly the addons I have most often, and i found only one a bit "off" (can't put ma finger on it but I never complete a flight in the Arrow). Also didn't like the Piper Dakota flight model. Models and VC are all excellent to perfect.

Eaglesoft - I never seem to fly them much with the exception of the Liberty, something always seems wrong to me. I only kept the Liberty and the Columbia on drive...

ryanbatc
February 8th, 2012, 13:05
My favorite ES addon was their C750 until the PMDG NGX came out - now I use that for my bizjet transportation.

For smaller planes their SR22 G3 is awesome! Then again I'm a bit biased because I worked for Cirrus Design in Grand Forks and now I talk to their pilots on frequency at work in Duluth (their main factory). But the ES model is well done - it flies like a Cirrus (I've got a bit of stick time in an SR22). The Avidyne PFD/MFD from a realism standpoint isn't great but the basics are there. I prefer to fly it because I can put my RXP GNS430's in it and it's very quick, but can also slow down better than the Orbx Lancair. Compared to Carenado - well they don't really have anything like the Cirrus. I'd say Carenado's interior's look sharper/more photorealistic than ES's. IMHO ES's line is dated from a visual standpoint but their support is excellent, models fly realistically, and you can't go wrong using the F1 wrapper with 30 day return policy.

If you like GA I would 100% go for the SR22 "SE Turbo" pack - this contains the G3 version as well.
http://www.eaglesoftdg.com/CirrusSR22G2_G3T.htm

ThePlainsman
February 8th, 2012, 15:31
All-- Thanks for the straightforward opinions. I guess I'll stick with Carenado.