PDA

View Full Version : Some aircraft rolls heavy without stick input

swimeye
February 5th, 2012, 23:56
Hello!

I have some seemingly random problems with aircraft rolling quite heavy either left or right without input from the stick. Only way to counter the roll is to apply heavy rudder in the opposite direction. I have no idea what causes this but it seems to happen with some payware aircraft. The default aircraft are no affected as far as I know. The latest aircraft to suffer from this behaviour was the Bronco from Aerosoft, when i changed to the default Hornet the problem was gone.

Does anyone have any clues to what is going on?

Thanks.

Erlk0enig
February 6th, 2012, 00:23
Hello swimeye,
hello community

I do also experience such a behaviour with payware aircraft, AND with the default glider. The glider is sometimes almost unflyable.

To explain again the problem (sorry, no native speaker): The aircraft is flying straight and level, and suddenly the aircraft does "jerky" roll inputs (means, they are not constantly, but intermittent, about 2-4 times subsequently). Sometimes it occurs to the right, sometimes to the left, but once it occurs, it keeps the dircetion of roll.

Perhaps someone did also experience this and knows a bit more...

Best Regards,
E.

sblzei
February 6th, 2012, 00:45
It happens to me either. I have always considered it as a wind effect.

Are you experiencing this problem in absence of any wind?

BAT21
February 6th, 2012, 02:22
It could be the joystick

Try setting the joystick completely linear:
- in FSX.cfg write "stick_sensitivity_mode=0"
- in the FSX windows set the joystick "sensitivity=100 %"
- in the FSX windows set the joystick "null zone=0 %"

cheers Marco

Francois
February 6th, 2012, 02:56
Maybe turn 'turbulence' off? :icon_lol:

Bronco flies fine here, no problems at all. But FSX sometimes throws a LOT of turbulence at ya unexpectedly and that may cause sudden 'imbalance' in your aicraft's behaviour. If that's not it, then most likely your hardware has 'spikes' or other anomalies.

swimeye
February 6th, 2012, 03:46
Thank you for your answers, I have real weather turned on but I have (in my mind) ruled out wind or turbulence as a cause of this since it is gone when i change to another aircraft and the direction of the roll is always the same even if I turn the aircraft around and fly the opposite direction.

The same for the hardware to cause this since it happens only with some aircraft and not all.

BUT, I am a novice, maybe a malfunctioning joystick could have a big impact on some aircraft and not all, and the same with wind effects, some aircraft may be more sensitive than others? Comparing a turbo-prop with a jet fighter may not be a good comparison?

I will check my joystick settings and see what happens if I clear all weather.

/Sims

bstolle
February 6th, 2012, 04:51
I noticed that a few realistic add-on aircraft don't like real weather add-ons at all and produce exactly the effect you mentioned. Apparently 'real' weather can sometimes cause 'unrealistic' behaviour.
For testing fly with the standard FSX weather engine and to rule out joystick spiking suggest to temporarily increase the joystick null zone to 25-50% and check of the sudden roll input is still there.

italoc
February 6th, 2012, 05:06
It happen to me too ...... only remedy I use: to recalibrate the joystick and everything is back to normal.
So I think that, for some reason, FSX lose my Saitek Evo calibration ?!?!

Italo

Dimus
February 6th, 2012, 05:12
Once I had this behaviour but it was caused by having the rudder axis mapped to both my joystick twist and the rudder pedals. Once I deleted the rudder axis from the joystick all was fine. This would not be observed in the F-18 as the rudder is not that effective.

BrittMac
February 6th, 2012, 05:28
I have this problem now and then. I have found that if I start a flight, and then move all controls to their limits, all axis, then I won't have the "fast roll" to one side. I don't know why it happens, but it is fairly common on my machine.

Basically, load up a flight, and while on the ground move the stick and rudder all over the place. I hope that works for you like it did for me.

Oh, and I can do that in-flight as well (sometimes on multi-servers you will load "in the air near the host", just try some quick movements all around and see if it works).

swimeye
February 6th, 2012, 11:07
Thank you again, I see many good ideas and suggestions that I will try next time, also it seems like there might be an issue with the real weather setting and certain aircraft. Always nice to see what knowledge you all posess =)

cheezyflier
February 6th, 2012, 11:47
another possibility is your stick. i just threw out a red "xtreme gaming" stick that was doing that. you could actually watch the plus sign move by itself in the calibration window. i googled it looking for a fix and learned that all of that brand/model do that and that they are junk. i threw it away. now i'm stuck mouse flying until i find another set up. sadly it was very comfortable in my hand, and while it worked, it was really nice.
but it only worked properly for a few days

Barnes
February 6th, 2012, 13:07
I sometimes find that its the CofG wrong with odd fuel loads if i hop from one aircraft to another - its worth checking the loads .

napamule
February 6th, 2012, 16:27
I agree with bat21 (Marco). The 'stick_sensitivity_mode=0' line goes where? (Controls)?

When the sensitivity is set to 100%, it MUST be followed by setting null to 0%. For rudder (my advice) set it to 95% and then null should be 5%. There is a scientific explanation for this but I can't find it (forum post). At least you will not have spikes. The models DO all react differently to wind changes (direction or speed). It's an 'FSX thing' that effects the models-no cure. And for Joy: Calibrate outside of FSX (Settings\Control Panel) AND inside FSX when it's running.

Also, if you have throttle quadrant, set your joystick throttle slider to ZERO when you calibrate the stick. You can then jam the joystick's throttle slider in place (you won't be using it anyway) with a plastic 'shim' (or with a glob of goop) for best results. This ONE thing (set joy throttle slider to zero) makes ALL the difference, you will find (and, this goes for ALL the sims). 'They' JUST DON'T tell you everything! (hehe).
Chuck B
Napamule

BAT21
February 6th, 2012, 22:32
I agree with bat21 (Marco). The 'stick_sensitivity_mode=0' line goes where? (Controls)?

There is a scientific explanation for this but I can't find it (forum post).
Chuck B
Napamule

Hi Napamule
you can find a good description here

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:HyphenationZone>14</w:HyphenationZone> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Tabella normale"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?132-How-to-make-your-controls-more-responsive-A-Tweak

cheers Marco