PDA

View Full Version : Trouble With Saitek X52

strikehawk
February 5th, 2012, 20:54
My X52 just started malfunctioning tonight after I disconnected the cable from the joystick portion to reset the inputs to my FSX. After I reconnected the cable the stick lights now flash and there are now no control inputs. I did an online search and I did find a similar problem with the snarky solution to "throw it away, buy something else and write a nasty letter to Saitek". Somehow I don't think that would solve my problem.

I am looking worst case at buying a new HOTAS through Amazon, if I do it will be either a used X45 or 52 Pro as it seems the X52 is out of production. I would like this option to be the last resort. Any help would be welcome.

Bruce Thompson
February 6th, 2012, 02:07
Have you tried reloading the drivers for your X52 from Saitek.com?

Then re-calibrate it in FSX controls section.

hae5904
February 6th, 2012, 05:07
Have you tried reloading the drivers for your X52 from Saitek.com?

Then re-calibrate it in FSX controls section.

Before you do, delete all Saitek drivers first. Maybe some corrupt file hidden somewhere.

Cheers,
Hank

jpmes
February 6th, 2012, 06:18
I had a similar issue. Remove the 4 screws from the bottom of the joystick. Inside, you will find a bunch of wires coming out of a metallic tube with a cutting edge that goes into the handle of the joystick. Check the isolation where the wiring can touch the edge and if necessary, protect it with duck tape.

Jean-Paul

olderndirt
February 6th, 2012, 08:39
Lost the X-Y axis on my X52 joystick and the problem was the PS2 cable between the throttle and stick. Merely removing and reconnecting both ends fixed my problem so it's either the cable or the input connections.

modelr
February 6th, 2012, 09:01
Lost the X-Y axis on my X52 joystick and the problem was the PS2 cable between the throttle and stick. Merely removing and reconnecting both ends fixed my problem so it's either the cable or the input connections.

This happens occasionally on mine, also. Sometimes I merely unplug USB connection, unplug and replug both cable ends on PS-2 connection, then reconnect USB. Sometimes, tho' more rare, I must reboot 'puter.

Don't know why it is sometimes an anethema to some people to simply unplug and reinstall, and or reboot. The USB system is "Hot Pluggable" which means you do not have to turn off the 'puter to plug/unplug the connection. (PS-2 is NOT hot pluggable). It is not really unusual for a misconnection/read. Sometimes just a small pice of invisible dust is all it takes to throw a wrench into things. Keep that can of dust-off handy, and use it. This takes care of 90-95% of the problems often stated on here. At least it does on my machine.

I am not saying actual electrical/mechanical problems don't occur, I've had my share. My Saitek Pro Pedals have served me well since they were first introduced, (Mine are from the first shipment) but they have died, just recently, electrically. Windows does not recognize them error code comes up when ever they are plugged in. New ones are on the near future purchase list.

strikehawk
February 6th, 2012, 15:51
Thanks for the help, I am reasonably sure that it's the PS2 cable. As for reboots and pulling drivers is not a problem with me. I also do the hot plug/unplug and that works for me until last night. I'm going to have to find a cable now as the local Radio Shack didn't have one. I'll let you know what happens.

BTW, where is an AT or an AQ when you really need one.

Kiwikat
February 6th, 2012, 19:18
I always have issues with my X52 Pro. It is really annoying when it causes my autopilot to disconnect in the PMDG NGX when I'm cruising at 40,000 feet. I find myself diving at 5000 feet per minute. I think I'll be buying a separate joystick in the future and just using the throttle part of the X52P. I don't know why it is so hard to find a reliable joystick. Every company I've tried has different issues.

CH seems to be the best I've tried so far, but I find certain parts to be extremely plastic-y. My Yoke gradually started to have centering issues, and the trim wheel got messed up. The CH rudder pedals got totally messed up after a couple years.

Saitek products have always felt mediocre in build quality. The cheaper joysticks had buttons that never worked. One of the two throttles on a dual throttle stick didn't work. The twist rudder on them wore out really quick too. I've got several additional issues with my X52P. Also, Their customer service never responded to any of my questions about the X52P.

Logitech stuff seemed to work rather nicely, but they don't have much of a selection. Their QC has gradually gone down the toilet over the years too.

I would happily pay a good chunk of change for a set of RELIABLE and DURABLE joystick and pedals. I just haven't been able to find any. The cheap consumer grade stuff just ain't workin.

srgalahad
February 7th, 2012, 12:52
So often I see a whole host of major fixes, re-installs and other unpleasant efforts. In many cases they are required, but sometimes only because of a bunch of failed intermediate tries.

In the case of the Saitek controllers - THEY ARE SENSITIVE TO STATIC - but so are all computer components and it seems, particularly USB devices.
While this may not help the OP (but unplugging anything "hot" has a risk of static discharge), here is a post from an AVSIM forum that may help...

The Saitek bits have demonstrated a love/hate relationship with static electricity. Probably because they have metallic part in the stick/yoke/throttles for strength they will pick up the smallest static charge from the user. This happens often and most likely when you step away and return to the computer after walking on carpet ( or petting the cat) but also from the fabric of some chairs. The effects range from a small "zap" to the fingers, to an audible "pop". The effect tends to be a disruption of the USB connection to the computer.
Since the first time this happened to me (X-52 stick & throttle - on descent in a RTWR practice leg on final) I am always on the alert. The cure? Disconnect the Yoke and/or stick and/or pedals from the computer one-at-a-time (you will hear the USB conect tone), wait a second or two then reinsert the plug for each (hear the tone again). If you have the profile manager running and esp. if you have a profile set, you have to reselect it from the taskbar to enable any special functions. Occasionally it will be ALL parts, but is usually just one. (nasty way to lose toe brakes on a short runway too!)

I now have all my Saitek USB connections either on the front face of the computer or a USB hub right next to the monitor for easy access as a result. Oh, have also been told of one case where a cat walking across the pilots feet on the pedals had the same effect.

It does not seem to impair the internal electronics and is more a USB issue as the same static zap can (has) disrupted my USB headset on TeamSpeak.

Could this scramble the programming? perhaps, or at least the data exchanged at the time, but not likely. If the software is impaired, it can also be from attempts to deal with a transient issue (static) that was thought to be software. Could it be a more serious hardware issue? Yes, if there was a static charge large enough to hurt internal chips.

At this point it's hard to suggest a best route, but a removal (unplug hardware before removing software), regedit purge of the Saitek bits (as mentioned above) and a reinstall sure beats "throw it away, buy something else and write a nasty letter to Saitek". Be methodical.. test each part ( hard and soft) before adding the next bit. Then, look at the environment... dry, esp. in winter? Carpet? Wool socks? Pets? -- there are preventative measures that can be employed ( short of simming underwater which has it's own hazards)

strikehawk
February 7th, 2012, 18:17
Thanks for all the input, I have tried everything suggested, no joy. I'm still searching for a cable that connects the stick to the throttle as that may be the culprit. I won't know until I get one and they are not easy to find in this town. I have one more place to check and if that fails it's off to Amazon for a new controller. Hopefully I don't have to pay too much for some thing.

spatialpro
February 8th, 2012, 00:31
Thanks for all the input, I have tried everything suggested, no joy. I'm still searching for a cable that connects the stick to the throttle as that may be the culprit. I won't know until I get one and they are not easy to find in this town. I have one more place to check and if that fails it's off to Amazon for a new controller. Hopefully I don't have to pay too much for some thing.

I urge you to contact Saitek directly regarding your issue and getting hold of a new cable! I had the same issue and they were extremely helpful indeed! Can't recommend enough speaking to them directly.

Andy

whitney17
February 8th, 2012, 14:00

If you think the PS-2 cable is the problem, why not go to "Cables to Go" and buy one for about $10.00 first, before you buy a new controller?

Joe

PS: My brother was an Ordnance Man on the Wasp and Hornet. They were both sunk after he transferred off of them.

strikehawk
February 10th, 2012, 19:22
Okay, found the right cable here locally and the flashing buttons are now steady. I'll be taking a flight later on tonight to do a function check but I think the problem is solved. Hopefully I will be A799 and can save my money.

I would like to make one thing clear as this line in my initial post may have caused some confusion...

"throw it away, buy something else and write a nasty letter to Saitek".

This was not my sentiment, it was the only thing I could find at one of those "self help" sites that are hardly helpful. I would never do something that rash and rude since the probability of the problem was caused by user error, ie; I don't know my own strength and forced the plug compounded by using an Xacto knife to straighten the pins possibly doing other damage to the unit. In other words, I am one of the few that will not blame the maker for my miss-use of their product.

And finally to whitney17 from one AO to another please pass on a heartfelt IYAOYAS to your brother for me. His generation laid the foundation and traditions on which myself and my peers in the AO community worked and still work so hard to uphold.

Thanks for all the help, hopefully the next person with this problem will have a better idea of how to sort out his gripe.:salute: