PDA

View Full Version : Wow: PMDG is working on a Douglas DC-6B!

Tim-HH
February 5th, 2012, 02:19
I'm speechless...a dream comes true! :icon_eek:

http://downloads.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/dc6/PMDG_DC6B_Classic_2.jpg

http://downloads.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/dc6/PMDG_DC6_Virtual_Cockpit_06.jpg

PMDG Forum: Secret Project #1: This one is a classic! (http://forum.avsim.net/topic/361760-secret-project-1-this-one-is-a-classic/)

Greetings
Tim

hae5904
February 5th, 2012, 02:25
Cool !! Thanks Tim for this HU.

(funny or more a bit ironic these addon/wip pops up while others are doing the aircraft as well, freeware or payware.....)

Hank

FlameOut
February 5th, 2012, 03:06
She is looking good.

flaviossa
February 5th, 2012, 03:13
Very nice! IŽll get one for sure! :applause:

Anneke
February 5th, 2012, 04:27
Well freeware or payware. Let them have it. I'm gonna take the PMDG version period.

thefrog
February 5th, 2012, 05:14
Best news so far this year!
frog

airattackimages
February 5th, 2012, 05:22
Awesome!

jankees
February 5th, 2012, 05:31
ooh, that just might become my first PMDG purchase...

jeansy
February 5th, 2012, 06:07
ooh, that just might become my first PMDG purchase...

exactly my thought

hopefully they will continue this genre

Scandinavian
February 5th, 2012, 06:10

"So- beginning early last year, work was begun on what is envisioned to be a new, fun series of products from PMDG: The PMDG Classics."

The future looks bright in that department. :)

hae5904
February 5th, 2012, 06:16
exactly my thought

I agree! The more the better.

Cheers,
Hank

Cirrus N210MS
February 5th, 2012, 06:26
aswell This May be my First PMDG Plane! cant wait

There is Two DC-6 Fire Bombers Airplanes in Kingman az i used to watch Them Flying around when i was at School! they used to fly over the play Ground taking off from kingman AUX base It was a amazing to SEE!

http://www.oldprops.ukhome.net/DC4 N82FA d2.jpg

:jump::jump:

Kiwikat
February 5th, 2012, 06:37
OMFG :icon_eek:

That is AWESOME!

shackleton_boy
February 5th, 2012, 07:30
Ah! a reprieve for my credit card till this one is released!

kilo delta
February 5th, 2012, 08:12
A nice nod to Scott @ A2A too..

In terms of realism, it is not intended that this product be as detailed as, say, the NGX. While you will need to learn how to correctly (and effectively!) manage the engines and systems on the airplane, it will not have a failures module, nor will we be adding in some of the character driven amenities that our friends over at A2A have done so well with in their vintage airplane line.

(Lest anyone worry- this product line doesn't create any conflict with the development plans at A2A... We are big fans of Scott and his team. In fact, the only person outside of PMDG to know about this product and product line was Scott, so yes there has been a bit of conversation about it! http://forum.avsim.net/public/style_emoticons/default/Nerd.gif )

Daveroo
February 5th, 2012, 09:12
well looks like ill put my 4 engine set up back in,i have to have this..which will make me buy the A2A Boeing 377.....my life is sooooo hardddddddddd........hehehehehe

robcap
February 5th, 2012, 09:42
Wow, best news in a long time. I agree Tim, a dream come true.
I hope they don't take too much time for release as with their tubes...:kilroy:

big-mike
February 5th, 2012, 09:56
Really great news,seems to become a must have.
Michael

mal998
February 5th, 2012, 10:11
She looks to be a beauty!

Guess that'll be 2 DC's I'll be buying in the near future, or at least at some time in the future.

Still plan on getting JF's version and will most likely get this one, provided it can be flown by one pilot.

I don't know too much about PMDG products or their level of system sophistication. Hopefully this one can be flown by a lazy flyer such as myself. :sleep:

greenie
February 5th, 2012, 11:17
What a great way to start a day, wake up and read this ! This will be my first PMDG product

pbearsailor
February 5th, 2012, 11:40
Still plan on getting JF's version and will most likely get this one, provided it can be flown by one pilot.

I don't know too much about PMDG products or their level of system sophistication. Hopefully this one can be flown by a lazy flyer such as myself. :sleep:

Reading their announcement at AVSIM seems to say that this won't be as systems detailed as they normally do, not to the Accusim degree anyway. They say a lot of the motivation for doing this is to try to keep all of their team members busy on a project, implying that it is the systems coding that takes so much time on their other planes.

I was really looking forward to the JustFlight version, even though I've really been unhappy with the DC-3 and Connie, but this news changes things for me.

cheers,
steve :wavey:

Kiwikat
February 5th, 2012, 13:39
I hope they'll let us put in the RXP GNS430W. I still can't believe they're doing this one.

I can only hope they are also doing a T-6 since Robert works with one at Reno regularly. A PMDG T-6 would be beyond a dream lol. I would pay a crazy amount for such a plane. :mixedsmi:

Ian Warren
February 5th, 2012, 14:17
She looks well underway , almost near release ? :kilroy:

Scandinavian
February 5th, 2012, 14:22
I hope they'll let us put in the RXP GNS430W. I still can't believe they're doing this one.

From the post about the DC-6, by Robert Randazzo
A user was asking about Reality XP integration.

"You caught me. Since I'm not involved in this project- I'm guessing here- but I believe it is a 430 up there just aft of the center post. I'm not all that garmin enabled...

It is fully functioning- and I believe that users of the RXP stuff can swap that in also if desired... but don't quote me on that."

A sorry to Robert for quoting him on that...:wiggle:

fliger747
February 5th, 2012, 16:20
I had the pleasure of working with Rob and his team on the 747-400F for FSX and was impressed with their dedication to an accurate project. This will be, I believe a simpler and more straightforward project. Being their first piston pounderit should be interesting.

Cheers: T

Kiwikat
February 5th, 2012, 18:20
A sorry to Robert for quoting him on that...:wiggle:

:icon_lol:

YoYo
February 5th, 2012, 21:13
I hope, they will do dedicated setup for throttle like in B-17G + Accu from A2A.

I Cant imagine how I will operate of 4 th., 4 mixt, 4 prop.
It was superb idea of A2A to do simulations of two, new axis in FSX - all LEFT engines and all RIGHT engines. In this case You can setup all in 1 f.ex CH Thr.quadrant.
Without this will be very difficult to do ground operations and in fly too. How to manage of engines?

Sure, answer can be the FSUPIC but not all have this (including me).
I hope PMDG reads SOH too. :)

airattackimages
February 5th, 2012, 22:59
aswell This May be my First PMDG Plane! cant wait

There is Two DC-6 Fire Bombers Airplanes in Kingman az i used to watch Them Flying around when i was at School! they used to fly over the play Ground taking off from kingman AUX base It was a amazing to SEE!

http://www.oldprops.ukhome.net/DC4 N82FA d2.jpg

:jump::jump:
Yep, got the DC-4s and DC-6s at Hemet all the time. Ahh, I miss my childhood.

Would be nice if PMDG paid some attention to the air tankers and modeled a retardant tank on one of em. I'd definitely buy.

Tim-HH
February 6th, 2012, 11:58
Some more pics :jump:

http://downloads.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/dc6/PMDG_DC6B_Classic_1.jpg

http://downloads.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/dc6/PMDG_DC6_Virtual_Cockpit_04.jpg

http://downloads.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/dc6/PMDG_DC6B_Classic_4.jpg

http://downloads.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/dc6/PMDG_DC6_Virtual_Cockpit_05.jpg

http://downloads.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/dc6/PMDG_DC6B_Classic_3.jpg

Greetings
Tim

Ferry_vO
February 6th, 2012, 12:10
Wow!!

That looks fantastic!

AusWilko
February 6th, 2012, 12:26
That does look good that's for sure

Ian Warren
February 6th, 2012, 12:42
Now i wonder if it comes with a few less windows , be very hard to place ensigns and some airforce markings on with the saloon in the back .

Jigsaw
February 6th, 2012, 15:45
A DC-6 by PMDG is great news!

She looks to be a beauty!
Still plan on getting JF's version

Don't. Their DC-3 was the worst add-on aircraft purchase I ever made. The sound is broken and the cockpit looks like a cheap plastic/cardboard replica.

Aircanuck
February 6th, 2012, 17:05
Hello Simmers

I'II put this out there for some feed back from you lot.

How many votes for the following :

... gotta have one of Buffalo's Joe's ole girl's represented ??

... how bout a local favorite from the gang with Conair Aviation with a retardant tank ??

Over to you :)

"can't wait" :jump:

Martyn
February 7th, 2012, 01:29

Don't. Their DC-3 was the worst add-on aircraft purchase I ever made. The sound is broken and the cockpit looks like a cheap plastic/cardboard replica.

Charming :applause:

I hope you contacted us for a refund?

airattackimages
February 7th, 2012, 03:12
Hello Simmers

... how bout a local favorite from the gang with Conair Aviation with a retardant tank ??

Yes to both!!!!!!!!

dougal
February 7th, 2012, 04:15

Don't take the bait Martyn, it's just not worth it my friend. I think we can all agree that not ALL addons are up to PMDG quality, but such statements are just, well....:icon_lol:

Jigsaw
February 7th, 2012, 04:34

Sorry. It wasn't meant as an insult. I apologize for voicing my opinion so harshly but that's how I feel about it. It certainly wasn't meant as any kind of bait. Back then I bought the DC-3 in the limited time when it was bundled with the expansion for a discount, because I craved a DC-3 that offered something beyond the default one. When I tried it out I was very disappointed about the soundscape, even after the Enhanced Sound Package that was released later on it still had the idling engine sound at all throttle settings. I also didn't like the cockpit too much. The surfaces were too flat and uniform and the textures didn't have any kind of photorealism to them. It just didn't manage to create the illusion of actually sitting in a real aircraft for me. The external model was alright, though, and made for a nice screenshot or two. After a few flights I just stopped using it, wrote it off as mispurchase and moved on. I haven't touched it ever since.

No, I didn't, because I didn't realize that was an option. It usually isn't for any kind of software. I probably would have asked had I known I could.

I also apologize for side-tracking the thread. If there is any need to further discuss this I suggest we take it to the private messages.

dougal
February 7th, 2012, 06:14
Okay Patrick, understood. I guess it's easy to misunderstand posts. Thanks.

TeiscoDelRay
February 7th, 2012, 07:47

That is on my list of cockpits to repaint.

Daveroo
February 7th, 2012, 09:41
Hello Simmers

yes yes yes...please please please....love a tanked DC6 especailly.......could i ask for a aero union paint?..they are no more...going up for auction in a sealed bid this month..the website says the worth is 50,000,000.00 usd....my friend Norm Cook,who was the Chief pilot at the time the USFS yanked the contract has now retired and has vacated his office,,btw..Norm says the paperwork that the USFS says wasnt up todate nor filed was infact filed and correct...he had it all on his desk,but a man in the USFS,he wouldnt say his name..refused to allow the paperwork to be accepted,ive said to much

big-mike
February 7th, 2012, 09:43
That is on my list of cockpits to repaint.

Good to know,Paul.
Will wait for this,thanks.
Michael

Daveroo
February 7th, 2012, 09:50
looks like aero union never used DC6's....just C54s/DC4s....anyone know for sure...?

Moses03
February 7th, 2012, 10:02
I knew that scheme looked familiar. Pretty.

http://i42.tinypic.com/15905d.jpg

airattackimages
February 7th, 2012, 12:24
looks like aero union never used DC6's....just C54s/DC4s....anyone know for sure...?
The majority were DC-4/C-54s but... I'm pretty sure they had ONE DC-6. At one time it was numbered Tanker 26.

ARGH... used to have a couple pictures of it down here in Hemet too. Dang it if I can't find it.

Scandinavian
February 7th, 2012, 12:59
I knew that scheme looked familiar. Pretty.

That seems to be the DC-6 they are basing everything on.

pbearsailor
February 7th, 2012, 13:54
gents-

I thought it might be a good idea to throw some clarification in here... or- to put it another way: kill some of the really dumb stuff we are reading here and in a few other spots.

Depth of Simulation: As already stated, the systems simulation on this airplane (including the engines and their operation) will be very deep. Keep in mind, we're the people who modeled things like stand-up-voltage on the NGX...(something 99.9% of you probably don't know exists...LOL) So if you mess around with her, or abuse your engines- there will be consequences.

What will NOT be part of this simulation is a failures module that allows you to set random or scheduled failures. (Which is not to say you can't break things... Or- as one user put it very well earlier in this thread: there will be consequences for poor handling.)

Now- I've seen a couple of comments about how "the DC-6 won't be modeled to the level of accusim so it won't be good." These individuals are ill informed or intentionally distorting what we have said. What I said specifically was that we are not going to model some of the "character driven" interactions ala Accusim. We understand that some folks like that sort of thing- and that it does add some game-play to the sim that isn't there otherwise, but it doesn't hit the realism bar we are looking for.

So- please help us stomp out the misinformation when you see it. The DC-6 is marvelously detailed and when released will meet or exceed your expectations for depth and complexity. Just because we will not be bundling the complex pieces separately and then asking you to pay for them as an expanded package doesn't mean the product won't be rich and complex...

I think this is going to be one of those really special planes.

-steve :wavey:

Roger
February 7th, 2012, 14:07

Let's not go there again Patrick. It's emotive language and unnecessary in a respectable forum.

delta_lima
February 7th, 2012, 14:20
Is it me ... or is the sim version sitting way up high, with more ground clearance than would be present in the real plane?

I'm referring more to "living" plane photos, rather than the Namibian example - with oleo leakage/compression from storage, etc., not exactly a fair comparison.

But have a look here ...

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/3/7/4/0412473.jpg

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://dm.demdex.net/event?d_px=18116&d_ld=containerid%3D520%26_ts%3D1328656302193&d_rtbd=json&d_dst=1&d_cts=1&d_cb=demdexDestCallback1328656302193"></script><script type="text/javascript">Tim.demdexSubmit({pdata:[18116]});</script>

<iframe style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: none;" id="dpiframe" height="0" src="http://fast.dm.demdex.net/dest2.html?nexac=1&nexacvalidttl=14400#http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sim-outhouse.com%2Fsohforums%2Fnewreply.php%3Fp%3D6791 81%26noquote%3D1" width="0"></iframe>
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/aa/Douglas_DC-6B_HB-IBE_Swissair_Ringway_30.07.54_edited-2.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/VIEWLINER/PTA/DCA61.jpg

I could be off - just seems a bit high.

Depending on price points, FPS, etc., it could go either way between this and the F1 product. I'm happy that another propliner is being made for FSX. The fidelity looks awesome, that's for sure. I shudder to think of what those lovely steam gauges will do for performance - but I'm impressed ...

Ian Warren
February 7th, 2012, 14:56
It could be a little high , could be the built in model dynamics .. maybe that is what we are seeing ,

the most extraordinary weight shift i've was the loading off a 7,500 ton roll on roll off ferry in Picton Harbour NZ , i was on the wharf awaiting my ride my bike onto the ship - to see when the passengers were boarded first the weight of the early few tilted the ship a good 5 deg's .

What you could be seeing is the typical PMDG's precision :icon_lol:

Gdavis101
February 7th, 2012, 16:43
Drooling!! Wasn't there a post a few months back about no one doing a DC-6 and now we have two!

mjrhealth
February 7th, 2012, 23:42
well I was going to get the JF one but this may be my first PMDG buy. Still waiting on fixes for the JF connie. Love the classics.

YoYo
February 8th, 2012, 02:06
Do You know something about released date?

On screenies models looks like finished. In the text on Avsim they wrote about all clicable functions in VC ect. No about FMD. So now the status is - programming or just project needs only good pdf and place in the Store of PMDG ? :)

I hope it will be soon. Any news about this ?

ronvking
February 8th, 2012, 03:22
A nice silver scheme like Rich International would be nice, remember seeing one of theirs in Miami back in the 1980's.