PDA

View Full Version : What an excellent day!

gigabyte
February 4th, 2012, 16:47
Today was interesting to say the least well for Ole Gig anyway, first of all I had an opportunity to show off my FSX set-up at a Flight School near to where I live, and meet up with a bunch of Flight Sim fans from New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, which was way cool. How this came about was through a local Flight Sim group I belong to, one of our members knows the CEO of a Flight School and they were chatting over coffee a few weeks ago and the idea came up to get some of us to bring our systems to the school and show them just how realistic Flight Sims really are today. Three of the members packed up our systems and went to the flight school and set-up, we were joined by a few guys who are active in VATSIM so we had live ATC and we had a real ball. The Flight Instructor was very impressed when he saw how FSX can be made almost as realistic as their $150,000 Diamond Simulator, my system in particular caught his eye because of the 3 monitors and my flight controls, (I have Yoke, peddles, and several Saitek instrument panels) and he did a few circuits with the stock FSX scenery and was quite impressed. The real fun for me though was I got 45 minutes in the school's Diamond Simulator, now that was FUN - about as much fun as I can have with my clothes on! This thing is a full two seat cockpit with a full glass cockpit, and realistic feed back to the controls, and the imaging is exceptional, it uses a 180 degree screen and 3 multi-media projectors to project the world in front of your aircraft. I actually amazed myself, I did not dig a hole in the runway in any of the 3 landings I did :). I started in the air the first run and made a pretty easy straight in approach with very light winds, and some light snow, the next flight was from the runway with a complete circuit and landing in a slightly higher wind condition, and the 3 flight was a crosswind landing with blowing snow, I HAD A BALL, and the simulated plane is not an insurance write-off...lol

I have to admit I was surprised I managed to do 3 landings without a crash in full realism (I rarely have full realism set on my PC...lol), especially with the sudden crosswind and blowing snow, now I know what I am getting when I win that lottery or that buddy in Nigeria wires me the 12 million my long lost dead great uncle twice removed left me in that hidden bank account...

YUP - Gig had himself one excellent day :)

Roger
February 4th, 2012, 17:14
Nice one Mike! I think I would have crashed with full realism...especially with a crowd watching:gameoff:

Tako_Kichi
February 4th, 2012, 20:18
You mean those sliders on the realism settings move away from full right!

Who'd a thunk it! :isadizzy:

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

I even fly choppers on full right settings...lol.

Glad you had a successful and enjoyable day Mike. :applause: