PDA

View Full Version : .950 JDJ rifle (video)

CWOJackson
February 3rd, 2012, 11:27
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xohy9gWz7kk

Sieggie
February 3rd, 2012, 12:45
Heck of a squirrel rifle. Fire it, the squirrels have a heart attack and fall out of the tree. Possibly even able to shoot the tree out from under them.

Dave

hey_moe
February 3rd, 2012, 13:37
Now that's what I call high dollar shells.....lol....I wonder how that would work on some of those drive by shootings. Probable tip da car over

Allen
February 3rd, 2012, 22:07
I bet the guy that owns that gun also owns a Hummer.:icon_lol:

warchild
February 4th, 2012, 04:19
Is this what they mean by over compensating??

Jagdflieger
February 4th, 2012, 06:15
Wasn't JDJ known for some very powerful pistol cartridges in the 80s? That is an achievement to make something like that. That bore size is not standard to any other calibre that I know of and I wonder if those cases were lathe turned or drawn like factory (Remington-Federal, etc.) brass is.

Back in the day, the M67 90mm Recoiless Rifle and the 106mm M40 A1 Recoiless Rifles were favorites of mine. The Barret .50 cal has been useful the last decade or so.

magoo
February 4th, 2012, 06:23
Not a rifle. It's light artillery masquerading as a rifle. It needs a two wheel chassis, a blast shield, and a kettenkrad to tow it with.

CWOJackson
February 4th, 2012, 07:25
I would have loved to see some film of the bullet strikes.

glh
February 4th, 2012, 14:22
Gunny Ermey would love to pot watermelons with a single-shot 24mm cannon.

PRB
February 4th, 2012, 17:30
So, .9 inches is bigger than 20mm, of which the famous "Orlikon" model was at least three times the length and probably ten times the weight, which leads to some questions. What's the muzzle velocity? At 1000 yards, how does the "energy delivered on target" compare to the smaller caliber Orlikon? Must be less, a lot less, or the thing could not be held on to when fired. So what's the point? One could make a 3.5 inch hand held weapon, I suppose, if the round came out and dribbled out of the end of the muzzle... I wonder if the "energy deliverd" is less than the Barrett .50 cal... I may have to go with warchild on this one...

Jagdflieger
February 5th, 2012, 09:21
I guess they made it because they could. Kind of like puting a 600 horsepower engine in a ford Mustang or perhaps a 3,000 HP V8 in a AA fuel funny car/dragster. Not needed, but fun and enjoyed by many.

The 20mm Oerlikon is smaller at .787 calibre and its projectile is lighter by something like 300 hundred grains, but much of that weight loss is due to its explosive filling which is much less dense than lead. The Oerlikon itself is much heavier than the JDJ rifle in the video and is a crew served weapon with a much higher muzzle velocity, 2700 fps in the older versions, over 3,500 fps in the latest versions.

The 50 caliber heavy machine gun round used in the Barret is even smaller, but don't let that fool you. At extended ranges, the 50 cal's well designed 700 grain (600gr to 800gr weights are common options) bullet at about 2,750 fps retains a significant amount of its velocity and energy and it fires at a significanty higher velocity than the rifle in the video for which they claimed a 2,100 fps velocity for a 2,400 grain bullet.

If considering only the muzzle energy of the above three rounds, the JDJ certainly wins hands down at the claimed 25,400 Foot Pounds of Energy (FPE) although my calculation shows it at 23,507 FPE (Velocity squared X mass (in grains) / 450240 = FPE).

I don't think that I'd want to shoot that beast in the video or hunt with it, but it is an interesting flight of fantasy. I've always been fascinated by metalurgy and weapons design. To make something like this outside of a laboritory or factory is really pushing the envelope of gunsmithing and making or reloading ammunition.