PDA

View Full Version : OT - Better late than never . .

expat
February 2nd, 2012, 12:42
And a bit embarrassed to mention it but this morning my instructor asked me to let him out of the plane and said the time had come for me to fly solo (three solo take offs and full stop/taxi back landings) at Fort Pierce FL (KFPR). At age 53 I wish I had started a while ago but it feels pretty good in any case!

expat

OleBoy
February 2nd, 2012, 12:46
Congratulations! That is something I wish I had done in my earlier years. Nowadays, it will never happen.

Bruce Thompson
February 2nd, 2012, 12:48
Congratulations expat, now you will start to enjoy it a little bit more each flight. :salute::salute::salute:

jojohnson9
February 2nd, 2012, 12:53
No need to be embarrassed. You must be very proud....same number of landings as takeoffs. If I ever found myself alone in an airplane I would die...literally.
Good on ya, mate.

Bone
February 2nd, 2012, 13:13
Think of all the human beings that have ever existed on this earth, throughout time. Now think about how many have flown a plane by themselves. You just joined a very exclusive club. Congrats and cheers.

PilatusTurbo
February 2nd, 2012, 13:27
Ya did great, mate! :ernae: I was fortunate enough to solo at age 21, after 12.5 instructional hours in a Cessna 120. However, funds dried up, and we couldn't continue (my Dad and I).

However, my solo flight was very similiar; I did a solo takeoff, and two touch and goes, for a total of 3 circuits. Beethoven's 7th was the only thing I could think of, aside of the joy, and paying attention to the traffic and flying of the ship.

Congratulations! There's almost nothing like taking a machine up by yourself, and bringing her back to Earth safely. :ernae:

res non verba
February 2nd, 2012, 13:28
congratulations! the first solo flight is truly special!!!

:ernae:

Mithrin
February 2nd, 2012, 13:52
That's awesome man! Congrats!:icon29:

Roger
February 2nd, 2012, 13:58
Well done:applause:

fsxar177
February 2nd, 2012, 14:21
It's far better at 53, than it ain't at any other age!

Cheers to the victor!
Joseph

keatles
February 2nd, 2012, 14:35
Congratulations!:applause:

It is something you will never forget, and always remember with pride and contentment.

I remember every minute of my first solo in a T-6 Texan at age 17, and that was nearly 50 years ago.

:engel016:

AusWilko
February 2nd, 2012, 14:43
Well done :salute:

stovall
February 2nd, 2012, 14:55
Way to go expat. Fly the friendly skies.

Felixthreeone
February 2nd, 2012, 15:52
Congratulations!!!:icon29:

TeaSea
February 2nd, 2012, 16:06
Congratulations! Hey, I was 47, so you are just a bit more seasoned....never too late to start (although, like you I wish I had started sooner -- just not in a position to do so).

rdaniell
February 2nd, 2012, 16:38
expat, I'd like to add my congratulations. Reading about your most recent solo brought back a great memory for me. Seems like it was just yesterday when I first soloed. In reality, it was in 1964. I've enjoyed flying ever since my first ride in the backseat of a J-3 with my dad. While I don't currently do much flying, every once in awhile, I fly a friend's Cessna 140.

Romeo-Delta

expat
February 2nd, 2012, 17:42
Hey guys, many thanks for all your kind messages. To most people around me they don't really understand what it means, whereas all of you do!

expat

Sundog
February 2nd, 2012, 19:24
WTG! I'd like to do the same thing some day. Here's to many more real flights!!!:icon29:

JAllen
February 2nd, 2012, 20:33
Congratulations!!!! Well done. At age 64 now, I have just 2 hrs in my log book, Cessna 172. Sure wish it could be more.

Jim

strykerpsg
February 2nd, 2012, 20:45
Many congratulations from me as well. I am looking forward to joining the club with you as well...soon, very soon.

Matt

gradyhappyg
February 2nd, 2012, 21:49
Very odd! My instructor asked me to get out of the plane so he could fly solo.
Never did see that cat in person again.
And then something went all screwy with the gate lock at the airfield so I could no longer get in.
But on the bright side my instructor decided to quit giving lessons about the same time so I did get a partial refund.
Seriously though!
Congratulations:salute:

roger-wilco-66
February 2nd, 2012, 22:33
Congrats, Expat! I soloed twice (first in a glider, second in a C-150) and remember the feeling well - the adrenalin rush when the IP gets out, worries (am I really ready for that?), and so on. But as soon as I was airborne the joy of flying all by myself took over and I still feel that the memory of these moments are among the greatest of my live! Carry on!

Here's to you :guinness::guinness::guinness:,

Mark

PS: What happened after the Solo, is there some sort of ritual on the ground? Here (in Germany) you get a hefty slap on the a$$ from everyone who happens to whitness the solo flights on the airfield (propably to reduce the bloated ego of the soloist :-) )!

Dimus
February 2nd, 2012, 23:26
We get a slap on the neck over here. It was good that when I soloed it was close to sunset and only my instructor and the mechanic were there.

Gongratulations on your solo Expat. Do your best to finish your training and get that "licence to learn" as soon as possible. Then, if funds are available, try to keep it up and progress. I have mine for one year now and try to fly at least once a month. I see every flight as a mission that has to planned well and carried out safely. The feeling of completing it can not be beaten.

Happy Landings!

Bone
February 3rd, 2012, 06:01
PS: What happened after the Solo, is there some sort of ritual on the ground? Here (in Germany) you get a hefty slap on the a$$ from everyone who happens to whitness the solo flights on the airfield (propably to reduce the bloated ego of the soloist :-) )!

It used to be a tradition to cut off the back of the shirt you wore during the solo, and write stuff on it. They did it right after you taxied back in. I don't know if that's done anymore, but I still have my shirt back. I solod in October of 1982.

mal998
February 3rd, 2012, 06:11
Congratulations Lee, well done!

rdaniell
February 3rd, 2012, 06:15
It used to be a tradition to cut off the back of the shirt you wore during the solo, and write stuff on it. They did it right after you taxied back in. I don't know if that's done anymore, but I still have my shirt back. I solod in October of 1982.

That was the tradition way back in 1964. There was a wall in the aeroclub building that was covered with shirttails. Your name, date of solo, and instructor's name was printed on them.

We also were given a little certificate. I still have mine.

Romeo-Delta

Bone
February 3rd, 2012, 06:36
That was the tradition way back in 1964. There was a wall in the aeroclub building that was covered with shirttails. Your name, date of solo, and instructor's name was printed on them.

We also were given a little certificate. I still have mine.

Romeo-Delta

Dangit, I didn't get the certificate. Lol. I was a teenager, a very sweaty and nervous teenager. My shirt back was so sweaty they could barely write on it.

italoc
February 3rd, 2012, 06:47
Congratulations Expat :applause:
never too late to leave ground all by yourself (and get back to earth in one peace http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon23.gif)
Hope for you to keep doing it in the future many times :salute:

Italo

OBIO
February 3rd, 2012, 07:03
expat

Congrats on the solos! I envy you...and all folks fly who for real. I will never know the thrill of breaking the bonds of gravity and gliding through the firmament. Not enough money in the bank, and one world-class case of Fall-a-phobia (my word for being afraid of heights).

On a similar note as yours, yesterday...my wife asked me to stop the mini-van and let her out. Three jumped curbs, two side-swiped trees and one near rear-ending and she had had enough of my driving like a maniac-without-a-clue LOL!

OBIO

rdaniell
February 3rd, 2012, 07:30
OBIO, if you ever get down to South Georgia and wish to go out for lunch, I will drive....:icon_lol:

Bone, I was also still a teenager. Just turned 19.

Romeo-Delta

mgchrist5
February 3rd, 2012, 07:43
Congratulations, expat! :guinness:

As you said - better late than never! Real life always has a way of conveniently interrupting a person's flying desires!

It was a few weeks after my 16th birthday when my instructor stepped out and sent me 'round the patch for the first time. I was filled with equal parts thrill and terror. I distinctly recall my knees were shaking so badly on the taxi to the active that I thought I might have problems manipulating the nosewheel steering on the old C-150. Fortunately all was well and I managed three uncharacterisically (for me) smooth landings. As ridiculous as it might sound, that singular moment still ranks as the one of the highlights of my life - next to putting myself through school and meeting the love of my life. It's indelibly etched into my memory 'till my dying day.

Best of luck with your future training. May your skies always be smooth... :medals:

expat
February 3rd, 2012, 10:28
Very much appreciate the thoughtful comments from all.

expat

italflyer
February 3rd, 2012, 10:59
Hey expat!

congrats, must be a wonderful feeling!

whish I had time and money to do the same; but seeing the outcomes of my FS-landings it might be safer to let it be.....:running:

Daveroo
February 4th, 2012, 09:22
expat congrats..im a little late to the party..but hey..way to go!!!...my real life chance to fly is gone,medical reasons..but i can imagine it would be like losing your virginity,or like the first time in a sprint car..( the sprint car was better for me to be honest)......take your breath away experiance no mater what.....awesome