PDA

View Full Version : GEX or FScene4X?

falcon409
February 2nd, 2012, 04:11
Does anyone have an opinion on which of these is the better overall ground texture? I am already using GEX North American/Canada and was going to purchase the European package but while downloading a few files from the Vietnam War Project page I noticed that they recommended this for the ground textures. What are your thoughts?

Crusader
February 2nd, 2012, 04:35
Good morning ,

Huge fan and user of Xavier's Vietnam War Project . As he suggested , I thought I would try FScene4X but only the Asia package which covers Vietnam , Laos , Thailand and other areas associated with the scenery . The reason I did this was Aces and the team at MS did a pi-- poor job of rendering the ground textures in SE Asia . As we all have found out there are large areas of barren land not associated with SEA . FScene did do a fairly good job of filling in with more green flying around in this beautiful scenery of Xavier and his team . (I have a backup Scenery/World/Texture default folder with the FScene textures added that I can rename and switch back and forth between the default GEX and FScene Asia folder .

As far as using FScene4X for USA/Canada , I personally wouldn't in my opinion as I think GEX does a far better job covering USA/Canada . I have GEX Europe which I like too . I guess it just boils down to being in the "eyes of the beholder" . Everyone looks at all the various products in many different ways .

Rich

Dimus
February 2nd, 2012, 05:53
So far I have purchased all GEX products, even the new Tropics package, even though I rarely fly there. I like what they do and in my opinion their textures are a very good way to vastly improve large areas at low cost. I have not used FScene but only seen comparative screenshots that show GEX to be better in the US and Europe, but this is just a screenshot and not a fully justified opinion.

In any case, although they plan, the GEX team have not yet covered Asia, except for some areas probably covered by their topics package and textures that are shared between areas. For Europe, north America, Africa/Middle East and the Tropics the GEX textures work very well imho.

falcon409
February 2nd, 2012, 09:32
Ok, I didn't realize that (although I should have) Asia was not included in the GEX Europe package. I guess I'll go ahead and get FScene for that area covered by the VNW Project and go with GEX for Europe. . .thanks guys.:salute:

Bone
February 2nd, 2012, 10:22
Ok, I didn't realize that (although I should have) Asia was not included in the GEX Europe package. I guess I'll go ahead and get FScene for that area covered by the VNW Project and go with GEX for Europe. . .thanks guys.:salute:

How about a few screenies when you get it hashed out. I would like to do some SEA simming, but there's no photoscenery for it, and the stock terrain in that area is atrocious.

falcon409
February 2nd, 2012, 10:34
How about a few screenies when you get it hashed out. I would like to do some SEA simming, but there's no photoscenery for it, and the stock terrain in that area is atrocious.
Will do Steve. I agree, that area especially is poorly represented. Anyone who spent any time in SEA remembers that from the vantage point of a Huey, you could literally see for what seemed like hundreds of miles and never see as much dry dirt/sand and scrub as you see in the sim, lol.

ThePlainsman
February 2nd, 2012, 17:54

Uh...Asia is not part of Europe.

ThePlainsman
February 2nd, 2012, 17:55
So far I have purchased all GEX products, even the new Tropics package, even though I rarely fly there. I like what they do and in my opinion their textures are a very good way to vastly improve large areas at low cost. I have not used FScene but only seen comparative screenshots that show GEX to be better in the US and Europe, but this is just a screenshot and not a fully justified opinion.

In any case, although they plan, the GEX team have not yet covered Asia, except for some areas probably covered by their topics package and textures that are shared between areas. For Europe, north America, Africa/Middle East and the Tropics the GEX textures work very well imho.

I, too, have all the GEX packages. I also have FSCENE X. GEX is better. Waiting for a GEX Asia. I won't need Australia, because I have the whole continent covered with ORBX Australia SP4.

falcon409
February 2nd, 2012, 19:30
Uh...Asia is not part of Europe.
I understand that, hence the notation that "I should have known that". Thanks for reminding me of my ignorance.:salute: