PDA

View Full Version : Bullethole .dds Textures

Daiwilletti
January 31st, 2012, 18:42
Anyone else notice how few of the bullet hole textures seem to render when an aircraft gets shot up? The textures reside in the Aircraft/shared folder. I was getting just seemingly a couple of bullet holes and a couple of different types of cannon holes.

One possibility is that if the computer is pretty well flat out rendering textures, it simplifies what is dispayed on-screen by minimising the number of textures used to show damage? Just a guess.

Stock size is about 24x24, with a couple of slightly larger textures. Anyway I've recently tried putting in some 124x124 DXT1 bullet and cannon hole textures. That didn't work, so I resized all the textures to 64x64. Now I am starting to get some more variety in the holes being shown on shot up aircraft!

Pat Pattle
January 31st, 2012, 21:23
Good find! I've always felt that there's more to get out of the mos files, if you look at them in the editor there are far more holes than you ever see.

Cuttles
February 1st, 2012, 05:49
Sounds like it might be a complicated individual aircraft fix. Guess there'd be no straight-forward 'bullet hole fixer' file just to drop in the game somewhere?

Seems more like an expert job, from my small understanding. 'Spose a one aircraft trial, or 'one at a time' might be more possible.........?

Daiwilletti
February 1st, 2012, 14:58
I seem to remember looking at a mos file and thinking the same thing, Clive.... I guess to that the mos file is the key for identifying where and what bulletholes show up? Isn't there an aircraft modeller out there who can illuminate us? But the main point is I found on my rig that only a few bullethole textures were rendering. Is that a function of the mos file, or what?

@ icutler, yes, what the modeller does with the mos file is the first thing to control where bullet holes render. I just can't help thinking that on my rig anyway, the range of textures being rendered was boringly limited. After all there are over 10 bullet hole textures and 5 (stock) cannon hole textures (plus a few GC ones).

So I'm wondering if other people see a lot of the different textures, or are you guys just seeing a few? Feedback welcome!

D

lewis11777
February 1st, 2012, 16:21
Clive I seem to recall you were working on bullet holes for the wind screen and making some progress. What ever happen with that?

Pat Pattle
February 1st, 2012, 22:58
But the main point is I found on my rig that only a few bullethole textures were rendering. Is that a function of the mos file, or what?

Do you have your effects slider on 5 David? Is it all aircraft or just user created ones?

Clive I seem to recall you were working on bullet holes for the wind screen and making some progress. What ever happen with that?

The technology works Lewis, it needs to be added into the source model so it's down to modellers whether they want to implement it. I'll put it into the a/c I have the sources for at some point, although I seem to have less and less time and inclination these days!

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?53186-texture_canopy&highlight=canopy

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr332/Pat_Pattle/Spit_damage.jpg

lewis11777
February 2nd, 2012, 03:03
The technology works Lewis, it needs to be added into the source model so it's down to modellers whether they want to implement it. I'll put it into the a/c I have the sources for at some point, although I seem to have less and less time and inclination these days!

Clive that was another first for CFS3 improvements, maybe you can add a tutorial in the forum for modellers that wish to utilize that effect!

Pat Pattle
February 2nd, 2012, 03:24
maybe you can add a tutorial in the forum for modellers that wish to utilize that effect!

That's an idea Lewis. Re-reading that thread there's more work to be done, it can only be added to non-opening parts and it's restricted by the number of name conventions used in the xdp.
I'll re-visit this work and see about uploading a standalone a/c with instructions on adding it to others.

dewoitine
February 2nd, 2012, 04:34
Do you have your effects slider on 5 David? Is it all aircraft or just user created ones?

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?53186-texture_canopy&highlight=canopy

Hello Clive, if I understand you I can change .xdp like your precedent forum ?
http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr332/Pat_Pattle/Spit_damage.jpg

Hello Clive, if I understand you, I can change .xdp like in your previous forum ?
Box ID = "damagebox_canopy" etc...?

garykidman
February 2nd, 2012, 11:10
I have been looking closely at this Forum of late and noticed some very interesting tips on improving textures and effects and importing the A Bomb and so on. The last one being
about bullet holes in the aircraft. It is Just an idea of mine but prhaps SOH could have a Hot Tips Section soley dedicated to these Topics as it would certainly save me having to save them to the favourites in my browser.

What do you think guys.

gary

Frosty
February 2nd, 2012, 11:38
Well, there kinda is already something like that in the sticky thread called "projected knowledge base". A lot of great finds, tips and other little did-you-know-this facts are accumulated there. Everyone one is free to add their own.

Daiwilletti
February 2nd, 2012, 12:07
I have been looking closely at this Forum of late and noticed some very interesting tips on improving textures and effects and importing the A Bomb and so on. The last one being
about bullet holes in the aircraft. It is Just an idea of mine but prhaps SOH could have a Hot Tips Section soley dedicated to these Topics as it would certainly save me having to save them to the favourites in my browser.

What do you think guys.

gary

Hi Garykidman, what Frosty says :icon_lol:.

But at this stage there is nothing to add to the knowledgebase on bulletholes. At this stage all I've raised is an apparent lack of diversity in rendering of bulletholes in "stock" form. There are a swag of different bullet and cannon hole textures in the Shared folder, but I became used to seeing only a few of them rendering on damaged aircraft.

But at this stage I'm not sure why. I have found that 64x64 textures are rendering well for me and seem to provide more variety of textures. But again I don't know if that's just for my system and config setup, or if it would be a useful universal application. In fact if it applied universally I'd be happy to upload the textures under the CFS3 miscellaneous section. The textures are the same as the stock options, only re-sized.

I wonder if config settings can help render a wider variety of bullethole textures?

D

Daiwilletti
February 2nd, 2012, 12:11

Hi Clive, good question! I do have the slider on 5, however I wonder if some of the other config settings influence the variety of bullet hole textures rendering when I view shot up aircraft.

By the way, that is a fantastic screenshot! I hope you are finding the time to enjoy the sim, some of your last comments suggest a bit of burn-out? It looks like you have things sorted on your computer so that you could do some serious flying!

David

Daiwilletti
February 3rd, 2012, 17:01
Am I just imagining it? It seems like I'm getting more variety in bullet hole textures since changing the textures to 64x64 format (still DXT1).

There are four different textures just on the engine cowling alone58148

Cuttles
February 4th, 2012, 07:01
Wow, Clive. It 'll get too scary!!