PDA

View Full Version : Thorp Update 10/2

N2056
October 2nd, 2008, 18:48
Occasionally my work schedule wreaks havoc on productivity...:isadizzy:
Working on the pilot mesh & animations was not happening, so I decided to play with artwork. The Lionheart Creations Epic demonstrated how popular repaints are, and I'm trying to make the Thorp friendly to the repaint crowd :d

There was a Thorp I recall when I was a kid. It was in town often, and I really liked the metal flake paint job...it's my test subject :mixedsmi:

Marlin
October 2nd, 2008, 19:12
Another, "Good God man!!!" from the peanut gallery :applause::ernae::applause::ernae::applause::ernae :

MCDesigns
October 2nd, 2008, 19:23
Looking good!!:ernae:

Lionheart
October 2nd, 2008, 19:54
Looks great Robert. Starting to look finished.

I have seen that aircraft (paint scheme) before on Airliners.net. Glad you did it.

:ernae:

Bill

Tako_Kichi
October 2nd, 2008, 20:04
Robert, if you are interested, I recently discovered a way of getting a metal flake paint effect in FSX by clever use of the spec map and spec map alpha channels after spending months trying to get it to work.

In my method the metal flake effect only shows when the sun hits the paint at specific angles in relation to the viewpoint, the rest of the time the paint looks relatively 'normal'. I also 'tinted' the reflections so that it gives the deep 'coloured' shine that you see on a lot of custom car paint jobs.

Here's an example of the paint and you can see how the metal flake only shows on the well lit areas.

http://media4.dropshots.com/photos/93830/20081001/b_134317.jpg

Only the red and blue paint have the metal flake effect, the cream is just a regular paint.

N2056
October 2nd, 2008, 20:06
Larry,
Thanks...that's exactly the way I'm doing it :d