PDA

View Full Version : Any of you guys have video camera security around your home?

hey_moe
January 30th, 2012, 02:07
Good morning, I was wondering if any of our members had any of the CCS security or IP security camera attached to your home. I have been thinking of installing a system but don't know that much about them. I know you can spend some mega bucks for a top of the line system but I don't really wanna do that. I am only concerned with night time. We already have ADT for our home.... but the security camera for that system is a joke. ( btw I don't have the ADT camera ) The IP camera set up only monitors when your main frame pooter is on which to me is a waste. The full CCS is really the direction I am looking at.Any advice or suggestions???

CWOJackson
January 30th, 2012, 12:26
We have two of these...http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-701-o-bat-outdoor-dummy-camera.aspx

retired58
January 30th, 2012, 15:19
We have a home system (outdoors) comprised of 12 Honeywell cameras and a Digimerge control box. System records all cameras 24/7. All cameras are infrared with color during the day and black/white at night. Lots of camera options available depending on what problem you are trying to solve. You can get various resolutions and different lenses to address the distance coverage needed. Pretty important that you get the coverage and resolution right. Biggest advantage is the deterrent effect once the bad guys spot the system and connect the dots. We put ours in to convince a neighbor his harassment/vandalism was not wise but it took two trips in front of the magistrate before his IQ improved to the minor nuisance level. The system does have the internet capability but we do not use at this time. We are happy with the system but may add a camera or two to address some coverage issues.

luckydog
January 30th, 2012, 19:52
I've got a couple behind the mirror over my bed.........
(just in case I'm murdered in my sleep)

hey_moe
January 31st, 2012, 06:02
I ordered this one yesterday >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16881338096 I think it should do what I want it to...I hope

wombat666
January 31st, 2012, 07:11
Mike, we decided to bite the bullet and spend a few grand and get a system installed by 'Chubb' as we were going through the whole 'new build' trauma.
Can't find anything to complain about, except for the PITA of checking video feeds from time to time.
It certainly worked in our favour when we shopped around for insurance cover, especially considering the number of 'Automotive Toys' we both own.
More to the point, I didn't have to install ANYTHING!!!
:jump:

hey_moe
February 1st, 2012, 03:00
Well we already have ADT but the new trend in this day and time is Smash and grab. Kick the door in and grab as much as you can carry out. Even with ADT this SG works great. By the time the alarm goes off and they dispatch the police the burglars are long gone. Even on the video recorder, if they steal that your are out of luck. A new trend over here also is they either slit your tires, key your car or shoot a couple of windows out.We park our cars in the driveway and never on the road. A few years back they broke into my daughters car and got her complete sound system. If I had that video set up I would have had them. Nothing is full proof in this day and time but every little bit helps.

Roadburner440
February 1st, 2012, 03:22
Mike is it really that bad in your area? That is nuts. Haven't heard of or seen anything like that around me, and we are pretty close with all of the neighbors. Granted I have debated doing the camera system. As you say though if they grab the HDD you are toast. We try to keep all of our stuff locked up in safes just in case. Can always get everything else replaced as I have taken photos, documented serial numbers and all that. Smash and grab is the new deal though, been reading about it for a minute.. Is also why I do not leave anything in either car, and the factory stereos would be useless to them anyway. I have been researching though how to build a low cost system with web cams (obviously not night vision capable like some systems) in an effort to save some money. Especially since I have 2 spare computers laying around. If you need help setting it up let me know, as I always have a knack for these projects. Just sucks that this is what it comes down to these days.

wombat666
February 1st, 2012, 05:00
Well we already have ADT but the new trend in this day and time is Smash and grab. Kick the door in and grab as much as you can carry out. Even with ADT this SG works great. By the time the alarm goes off and they dispatch the police the burglars are long gone. Even on the video recorder, if they steal that your are out of luck. A new trend over here also is they either slit your tires, key your car or shoot a couple of windows out.We park our cars in the driveway and never on the road. A few years back they broke into my daughters car and got her complete sound system. If I had that video set up I would have had them. Nothing is full proof in this day and time but every little bit helps.

Not very nice at all.
One of our 'must have' options when we were planning our build was a full 'underground' car park, which is the same size as our floor plan and not only holds up to six cars [currently four cars and six bikes!] but is sub-divided into a couple of offices for me and my electronic 'toys'.
While we live in a quiet area it just made sense to make complete use of the space available.
:kilroy:

Cazzie
February 1st, 2012, 05:33
Mike, where I live in the deep boonies of Hoot Owl Hollow, I find a 90-lb lab and an 80-lb sooner to be my eyes and a Fox 12-GA. Double-barrell loaded with double-00 buckshot to be the method of choice for defense of any unwanted who breech them.

Caz

hey_moe
February 1st, 2012, 07:32
I wanted to go with the camera system because I feel it does a better job and I have been wanting one. We are getting up their in age and I will feel safer when Linda is there by herself. With the things that have been going on in the past 10 or 15 years with the murder rate,break in's, ect..ect I want the video set up so I will have a picture of the turd who did the damage in case I wanna take the law into my own hands...lol. The problems with crime in the last 20 years has gone to a point that nobody cares about the victim, it's more like every man for himself. Roadburner....the only problem you have in your area is murder and rape....no biggie....I have thoses plus others > grins<

wombat666
February 1st, 2012, 07:44
A few coils of discreetly positioned razor wire is a cheap option Mike.
:jump:

Roadburner440
February 1st, 2012, 08:51
I wanted to go with the camera system because I feel it does a better job and I have been wanting one. We are getting up their in age and I will feel safer when Linda is there by herself. With the things that have been going on in the past 10 or 15 years with the murder rate,break in's, ect..ect I want the video set up so I will have a picture of the turd who did the damage in case I wanna take the law into my own hands...lol. The problems with crime in the last 20 years has gone to a point that nobody cares about the victim, it's more like every man for himself. Roadburner....the only problem you have in your area is murder and rape....no biggie....I have thoses plus others > grins<

Yeah. Where we lived in Jacksonville I am used to much worse. Where we started living was very nice, and on the out skirts of town. Unfortunately not many years later drug dealing, crime, and the like sky rocketed. Including 2 murders in our neighborhood alone within a couple month span. I still read the news from down there, and it just seems to be deteriorating even farther. Here it just seems to be a lot of out of control kids, and hit and run drivers. We haven't even heard any gun shots since we have moved up here.. In Jax that was getting to be a daily occurance. Hopefully things keep on the up and up. I must say on average though crime is up across the board everywhere.. Is the one thing I thought was funny in Jacksonville is how they kept saying every year the rate was down, but sure never seemed like it.

rayrey10
March 4th, 2012, 17:05
hey_moe - how them camera's working for you? I'm looking into getting some. I want a wireless set with 8 cameras. My neighbors have had their house and cars hit with paintballs a couple of times in the past few months, and their car broken into once. Then some idiot decided that backing his car onto my yard then peeling out was a good idea.

And of course the security guards never see anything. They're about as useful as......!

hey_moe
March 5th, 2012, 01:54
Well I have learned that buying a set up with the DVR and cameras are a waste of money. The ones at Costo, BB. Those all in one are a joke. They look good at the stores with all the lights but if you stand 10 or 15 feet away from them you can't even tell what you are looking at. I joined this forum >> http://www.cctvforum.com/ there is plenty of info there. I have since then replaced the power supply and all cables. The one that comes with the kits are a joke. I also brought to of them CNB dome cameras. What a huge difference. Now I can make out in the day time and night time who in on my property. I also found out at night time light plays a big part of the pictures. If you think about it, most lights are beside the back door and with the camera facing in that direction it mess's up the face of the person. The IR camera are ok but if you go a few steps further the cameras that don't need IR are a whole lot better. They only cost a little bit more. Just about all of the home cameras have a shooting area of only about 25 feet. True you can see the person at a hundred or so feet but making out their faces is really what you need.

rayrey10
March 5th, 2012, 02:49
Thanks for the info. I'll check that forum out. I've been hesitant to buy the set at Costco because I was afraid it was going to be crap. I guess with this stuff you get what you pay for.

hey_moe
March 5th, 2012, 08:42
I have been messing with my system for about two weeks, still doing some tweaking to get the best daytime and night time picture......what else do we gots to do..lol
Thanks for the info. I'll check that forum out. I've been hesitant to buy the set at Costco because I was afraid it was going to be crap. I guess with this stuff you get what you pay for.

Willy
March 5th, 2012, 17:23
I live in a rural area that it's perfectly legal to go out in the front yard and shoot a gun (Mrs Willy is rough with her shotgun on the starlings that land in our trees and poop on our truck). Who needs a camera when you have a few automatic shotguns? :d

hey_moe
March 6th, 2012, 02:39
I have the same Willy but I don't sleep with gun in hand...lol. Also Linda and I are gone 80% of the time. When some of our neighbors cars were keyed and tires slit, nothing could be done. If you catch them on video all you have to do is give the picture to the police and they do the rest.
I live in a rural area that it's perfectly legal to go out in the front yard and shoot a gun (Mrs Willy is rough with her shotgun on the starlings that land in our trees and poop on our truck). Who needs a camera when you have a few automatic shotguns? :d

Willy
March 6th, 2012, 22:11
About the worst thing that's happened around here is someone's dog killing a neighbor's calves.