PDA

View Full Version : Transparency question

oldwheat
January 29th, 2012, 18:39
I am considering a repaint or two of Steve Fairs CFS2 Mitsubishi Ki-30. How are is the transparent portion of the cockpit produced & saved? I attached a copy of the .bmp in question. I asked the same question a few years ago but don't believe that ever got an answer.

RobH
January 29th, 2012, 23:15
Oldwheat,

It's been a while since I painted in CFS2, but I think the area you want to be transparent needs to be green (RGB of 0,255,0) or pure black. You then load your texture into Dxtbmp, click on Alpha, then click on Create Alpha channel, either black or green depending on which color you used. It will then create the transparent alpha you need. Then save it in either DXT1 or DXT3.

oldwheat
January 30th, 2012, 11:48
That is not how this procedure works although I am sure that an alpha is part of the mix. The .bmps are actually saved in 256! The really good part is that only the textured part (canopy) is rendered clear without everything behind it suffering the same fate!

gaucho_59
January 31st, 2012, 16:02
That is not how this procedure works although I am sure that an alpha is part of the mix. The .bmps are actually saved in 256! The really good part is that only the textured part (canopy) is rendered clear without everything behind it suffering the same fate!

The fellow advising to use the DXTbmp program is RIGHT! That is the right way to go about it... only it needs to eventually be saved as an extended bmp... it will work on FSX, FS9 and CSFs