PDA

View Full Version : Fold-up car of the future

rayrey10
January 29th, 2012, 10:55
http://autos.yahoo.com/news/fold-up-car-of-the-future-unveiled-for-europe.html

Way too small for my taste but it is easy to parallel park.

Naismith
January 29th, 2012, 14:51
Eu endorsement = :toilet::barf:

demorier
January 29th, 2012, 17:11
Looks like just getting in and out of the thing is a chore. Can't see to many women with dresses on climbing in and out of it.

CWOJackson
January 29th, 2012, 17:33
I wonder what the two suits standing there applauding it drive.

mrogers
January 29th, 2012, 20:41
There's been many car ideas that have come and gone...most of them only lasted as far as having a photo taken of them and after that, it just fades into obscurity. I wouldn't be surprised if it happens to this one.

TARPSBird
January 29th, 2012, 20:53
Small to the point of being dangerous. If you got in an accident they'd have to remove you from the vehicle with a hose and a screen.

demorier
January 29th, 2012, 21:14
I don't think the electric car is the answer...to much pollution from power stations to re-charge the things.

jbtate
January 29th, 2012, 22:48
I can't deny the evolution of the applications of electricity.
Developing infrastructure systems used to be a matter of course in progressive civilization.
And driving isn't bumper cars -- drive smart and safe.
Implications of flight ...
jbtate

rayrey10
January 30th, 2012, 02:56
I wonder what the two suits standing there applauding it drive.

Mercedes-Benz or BMW!

Cazzie
January 30th, 2012, 04:03
Bloody 'ell, if it's a small car you want, it's already out there. :icon_lol:

dJfSS0ZXYdo

Sascha66
January 30th, 2012, 04:11
Small to the point of being dangerous. If you got in an accident they'd have to remove you from the vehicle with a hose and a screen.

Only if everyone else drives an SUV.

Which they do.

Ferry_vO
January 30th, 2012, 05:44
Future..? Renault had a very similar concept back in 1992!:

http://www.autoconcept-reviews.com/cars_reviews/renault/renault-zoom-concept-1992/cars_reviews-renault-zoom-concept-1992.html

jhefner
January 30th, 2012, 10:39
I don't think the electric car is the answer...to much pollution from power stations to re-charge the things.

With all due respects; a central electric power station generates far less pollution than say thousands of equivalent internal combustion engines, for a variety of reasons:

1. The fuel inside a combustion turbine and especially in a steam boiler burns for a longer period of time, reducing NOx emissions and ensuring complete combustion of fuel. The white cloud you see coming from smokestacks and expecially cooling towers is mostly CO2 and water vapor.
2. All combustion turbines and many steam electic plants burn clean natural gas. With the drop in the price of natural gas; some older stations are even being restarted. And heavy oil and coal plants have environmental controls to reduce emissions.
3. Most large electric generating stations are located away from city centers. So, they are contributing less to the haze you find over city centers then autos.

That is without mentioning the power now being generated from wind in increasing amounts, and nuclear, depending on your feelings regarding the environment and nuclear power.

My main problems with electric cars are their poor range (I commute 120-130 miles roundtrip daily), they are still way too expensive over their operating lifetime, and the technology is still young and unproven over the long run. But, I think today's early users are helping fund future research; the way it should work, and not with government money. Steam cars used to have an advantage over internal combustion cars; but advances in i.c. cars caused steam cars to be abandoned; it is possible the same will happen with electric cars in the future.

Likewise, electric trains are less polluting than trains pulled by diesel electric locomotives. But, the cost of the infrastructure (overhead wires, third rail) makes it too expensive for all but the busiest of railways.

-James

robcap
January 30th, 2012, 10:55
Future..? Renault had a very similar concept back in 1992!:

http://www.autoconcept-reviews.com/cars_reviews/renault/renault-zoom-concept-1992/cars_reviews-renault-zoom-concept-1992.html Don't you love the futuristic chicks in that car ;-)