PDA

View Full Version : Question About the TWO F15's

dougal
January 25th, 2012, 14:55
I now have both F15's and I think they're both outstanding.

I have just one question relating to their installation...

Once installed, each is listed in FSX under different aircraft manufacturers; Boeing & McDonnell Douglas. I understand that Boeing took over MD, so which F15 addon is technically, correctly identified:isadizzy:

timghetta
January 25th, 2012, 15:50
Hello Dougal,

It all works down to when the production of the aircraft was started.
The F-15E was Designed and Produced by McDonnell Douglas, back in 1987 before the Boeing merger.

The best example is the F-18 Hornet and Super Hornet.
The FA-18A/B/C/D (Hornet) is named as McDonnell Douglas, but the FA-18E/F (Super Hornet) name is Boeing. Orginally in 1995 the Super Hornet was designed by McDonnell Douglas and the Merger between Boeing and McDonnell Douglas happened in 1997, renaming the company to the "The Boeing Company". Soon after the merger, Boeing went into production of the Super Hornet which is why it's designated as a 'Boeing' Aircraft. Other examples are also MD-11 and MD-80 series retain their manufacturer names. Even with aircraft from other companies such as the F-16, originally produced by General Dynamics as the A and B versions. Lockheed Martin aquired them and a redesign which they are now known as Lockheed Martin F-16C and D only. The A and B still retain the General Dynamics Name.

Even now the new F-15K, F-15SG, F-15SA, and F-15SE will be regarded as Boeing and no longer McDonnell Douglas due to some redesigning. They even have proposed variants for the F-15H (Hellas/Greece) and F-15G (Wild Weasel) versions which may start showing up in future productions.

-Tim

JAllen
January 25th, 2012, 17:32
I would be interested in what tail numbers started the Boeing production. From what you post I assume some F-15E's were MD and others Boeing.

Jim

DagR
January 26th, 2012, 03:41
We operate Lockheed Martin F-16AM/BM aircraft and in all official litterature (tech orders and ECPs) they are referred to as Lockeed Martin aircraft. All was replaced by new documentation little by little as the MLU and other mod programmes went by. The data plate in the cockpit is still the original GD one.
Even though I have strong feelings towards MCAIR, I would have preferred Boeing in the FSX menus as the aircraft is current and Boeing is the current maker/contractor for these aircraft and associated maintenance bulletins/parts.
But I guess we had that discussion before on the F-16 Tim, eh ?? ;-)
The IRIS F-15 is one heck of an addon, I cannot leave it alone :-)

dougal
January 26th, 2012, 05:04
Oh my head hurts:confused:

So, am I understanding this correctly then...? Even amoung the same 'E' model, some are Boeing, while others are still MD?

Or is it just a developer choice?

DagR
January 26th, 2012, 05:59
Entirely a developers choice, that's my opinion. I just want current aircraft referred by their current manufacturer name. That is a personal opinion because I'm used to that.

Roadburner440
January 26th, 2012, 06:45
We chose to go with MD, because I myself think that credit deserves to go where it is due. Like with the F-18 Boeing just happened to buy the technology with the merger. The aircraft will still bear MD serial number plates. It is just now your part sources will be different. Also not sure about what serial Boeing production would have started. That is something that most likely isn't covered in most main stream documentation. I know on all of our H-60's Sikorsky is not listed as the manufacture, but United Technologies (parent company) is. That goes for both brand new ones, or going all the way back to the originals from the early 80's. So in the end is just a matter of personal preference, and neither is really right or wrong.

Tako_Kichi
January 26th, 2012, 07:01
For those that aren't aware you can change the manufacturer name to whatever you want if you don't like what the developer has used. Heck you could even call it 'Sam Smith's Aircraft Works' if you wanted to.

Simply open up the aircraft.cfg file in Notepad and look for the following line in each paint scheme:

ui_manufacturer="XYZ" (where 'XYZ' is the name of the manufacturer).

Change the "XYZ" to the name you want (in each paint) and then save the file. The aircraft will then appear in the FSX selection window under the manufacturer you selected.

dougal
January 26th, 2012, 08:12
We chose to go with MD, because I myself think that credit deserves to go where it is due. Like with the F-18 Boeing just happened to buy the technology with the merger. The aircraft will still bear MD serial number plates. It is just now your part sources will be different. Also not sure about what serial Boeing production would have started. That is something that most likely isn't covered in most main stream documentation. I know on all of our H-60's Sikorsky is not listed as the manufacture, but United Technologies (parent company) is. That goes for both brand new ones, or going all the way back to the originals from the early 80's. So in the end is just a matter of personal preference, and neither is really right or wrong.

Errr.... Actually Steve, you went with Boeing...

[fltsim.0]
title = F15E
sim = F-15E_B5
model = 1
panel =
sound =
texture =
kb_checklists = F-15E_check
kb_reference = F-15E_ref
atc_id = USAF
atc_flight_number = 001
ui_manufacturer = "BOEING"
ui_type = "F-15E (Milviz)"
ui_variation = "Boeing F-15E SJ 0494"
ui_typerole = "Twin Engine Jet"
ui_createdby = "MILVIZ"
description = "Military Visualizations F-15E Strike Eagle"

Naruto-kun
January 26th, 2012, 08:30
Lol with everything thats been going on at Milviz some of us are out of touch with what goes on on such a low level....

dougal
January 26th, 2012, 08:35
Lol with everything thats been going on at Milviz some of us are out of touch with what goes on on such a low level....

I dont know..... you just can't get the staff these days:icon_lol:

Roadburner440
January 26th, 2012, 09:24
[QUOTE=dougal95;674522]Errr.... Actually Steve, you went with Boeing...[QUOTE]

Is interesting. If I would have noticed that I would have changed the forum name to reflect such. My apologies on that one though.