PDA

View Full Version : Sabre v. Sabre

bub
December 19th, 2008, 11:43
Hi All,
I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes by producing these Sabre skins. My intention is/was to redo my old Sabre textures in 1024 x 1024 format. This allows for more detail and my hope was give the aircraft a better visual. The Fox Four Sabre is an "older" model, but keeps improving with time. That's the good thing about this Sim. Improvements come in many forms. The conversion of models is welcome and "improves the breed". Some work better than others. That doesn't mean that conversions aren't welcome. On the contrary, they are. The reason I've chosen to do this model is a simple one. I'm not that good of a painter to tackle these improved models. So, I keep it simple for myself. I try to improve each time I paint something, and I hope that's the case. We all have our own
opinion as to what we think is best. That's fine with me. I may not always agree, but I don't always disagree.
Bearcat, your conversion, in my opinion, is great. It flys well and is visually stunning. Its in my aircraft menu and I like flying it. However, in combat and missions I like the Fox Four model. Also, I like seeing my skins on them. This doesn't mean that one is better than the other. Its just personal preference. And, when you're ready, send me a list of those Sabres and I'll do those for you.
I've "hung around" these forums for quite some time. I've seen good and bad. As you all have. The good on these forums far outweighs any bad.
I agree with Tango Romeo about the Fox Four Sabre in missions, Quick Combat etc. Maybe I'm a little "biased". He has his opinion and rightfully so. His commitment to Fox Four speaks for itself. The work(s) he has done has improved this Sim and is always welcome. As is Bearcat's. I just hope mine is as welcome as their's and everyone else who contributes to this Sim.
Sorry, if I'm sounding a bit "preachy". I just wanted to put my "two cents" in.
Thanks for letting me vent,
Bub

bearcat241
December 19th, 2008, 13:17
Hi All,
I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes by producing these Sabre skins. ...

Well Bub, i'm not sure how anyone could be offended by your work on the F4 Sabres, but surely you can exclude me from that crowd. I think its all great stuff, as i said before. And my idea of matching your new skin work to the downloadable schemes available for the SF8 bird for the users to use both as player and AI was really a minor thing IMO. It was just a flash that occured to me as i saw your earlier Risner skin. As far as i can see so far, you've done some matching without even trying to accomodate my idea. All of you new skins seem to have a counterpart in the line of SF8 Sabre skins. But don't give it any further thought...just do what makes your heart sing! :wavey:

I've lost points with some because i don't take this sim as seriously and sacrosanct as some would want me to, so nothing done in its name offends me to point of taking my beefs public. If there's anything done in the community i don't like or need, i just don't download it and i surely don't make public comments.

In summary, the sim is a private entertainment vehicle AFAIAC, and though our comments here may influence people, every man is only gonna do just what pleases himself. We can't steer people into what we want them to do and think here WRT CFS2, because the sim itself doesn't give a rip. It just comes down to how highly we think of our own personal views.

And lest ye all get the wrong ideas about me and TR, i have nothing but respect for TR and his comm style, but i have my own mind too...i do as i please with CFS2 and call things as i see 'em too. I have no qualms with defiling my sim with any worthy conversion, especially my own work - my sim never complains :icon_lol:. And if i choose to share it... well... that's just a user's choice to take it or not. But am i wrong to offer it? :ernae:

Whatever you choose to do Bub, do it well enough for yourself first and just be grateful if others are pleased also.

Jagdflieger
December 20th, 2008, 10:13
I've been using both sabres in my Korea install, so I'm glad to see new skins and improvemts for both. Each has its own unique niche in the sim.

Come to think of it, I've also got the conversion of Olssen's Sabre in the install as the FJ-3A Fury for a menage a troi of Sabres.

OBIO
December 20th, 2008, 12:48
For pure eye candy, the new Sabre by Javis (hope that's right) is my plane of choice. For QC work, I use the Fox Four Sabre...which is a very nice model in it's own right. I also have the Ollson Sabre installed in all the variants that Chris Hinson did tweaks for. I have the old Alpha Sim FJ-3 Fury as well.

I have a paint template together for the Fox Four Sabre and will be doing some skins for it. Will be doing a template for Javis's Sabre and doing some dedicated CFS2 skins to give the plane the best bare metal look that I can manage within the limits of CFS2.

OBIO