PDA

View Full Version : Naval Aviation History/Research Question

expat
January 25th, 2012, 02:44
Is there somewhere on the net where you can find which aircraft/squadrons were assigned to which airfields (or deployed on a carrier) for each year since WWII? I have found this for the carrier deployments but it has been hit and miss - more miss - when trying to find out e.g. what aircraft would be found on dry land at e.g. NAS Cecil in 1965 or KNBC Beaufort in 1969 etc.

Navy Chief
January 25th, 2012, 04:14
Is there somewhere on the net where you can find which aircraft/squadrons were assigned to which airfields (or deployed on a carrier) for each year since WWII? I have found this for the carrier deployments but it has been hit and miss - more miss - when trying to find out e.g. what aircraft would be found on dry land at e.g. NAS Cecil in 1965 or KNBC Beaufort in 1969 etc.

Try contacting the museum library at the Naval Aviation Museum at NAS Pensacola.

Their email address is: ebuehler.navalaviation@mchsi.com I have contacted them for years about similar questions, and they have always provided the information I needed. It's free, and they will respond quick too!

Navy Chief

expat
January 25th, 2012, 06:22
Thanks Navy Chief - I will check that out.Here is close to what I am looking for, except instead of carriers, a listing showing which squadrons were at which Naval Air Stations/land bases during each year:http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/ordbat.htm

Navy Chief
January 25th, 2012, 06:32
Thanks Navy Chief - I will check that out.Here is close to what I am looking for, except instead of carriers, a listing showing which squadrons were at which Naval Air Stations/land bases during each year:http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/ordbat.htm

I am positive that the museum at Pensacola has that listing. Now whether they would send you the document in its entirety in one email; that I do not know. But I am sure they will provide you the information.

With regards to NAS Cecil Field, I know what squadrons were based there in the 80s, since I was there. A-7s and S-3s. I have a complete list of the Corsair squadrons at all the bases (East and West). Another SOH member, PRB, has a lot of information about A-7 squadrons, and where they were based.

And there are several other members in SOH who have been stationed at NAS Cecil Field, Lemoore, Fallon, Whidbey, Brunswick, Jacksonville etc.., who could provide information as well.

Pete

strikehawk
January 25th, 2012, 20:07
Expat, here are the Reserve and EW squadrons at NAS/NAWS Pt. Mugu from my first drill weekend there until 1998 when I retired

VAQ-34 Flashbacks
ERA-3B/KA-3B/RA-3B/UA-3B, EA-7L/TA-7C,F/A-18C
Electronic Warfare Aggressor Squadron
1983-1992 Moved to NAS Lemoore, Decommed 1993

HAL-5 Bluehawks
HH-1K
Helicopter Attack Light
C/SAR, SEAL Team support
While not deployed to the boat, it was in the units mission.
1978-1988 Decommed 1988 reformed to HCS-5

VA-305/VFA-305 Lobos
A-7B, F/A-18C, F/A-18D
Attack, Strike Fighter
Late 1970's-1994 Decommed 1994

HCS-5 Firehawks
HH-60H
Special Warfare Support, C/SAR
Boat Dets, Desert Shield/Storm, OIF, Afgahnistan
1988-2000 Moved to NAS North Island Decommed 2006

I was in the last three squadrons during my time at PMG and we shared the ramp with VP-65 and VAQ-34. If you look on Google Earth the reserve ramp was the one closest to the golf course with the two hangars. The hangar closest to the dirt lot and RWY7 housed VP-65, the one next to it close to the golf course and canal housed VFA-305 and HAL-5/HCS-305. The parking spots and taxi lines are still visible. You should be able to get a reasonable AFCAD from the satellite pic. VAQ-34 "lived" in the old hangar next to RWY7 but I can't remember their ramp parking spots.

Hope this helps you somewhat.

Victory103
January 25th, 2012, 21:37
This is what I use to stay current on both boats and air wings. I keep my modern MAIW packs up to date and pull the traffic .bgls when squadrons go on deployment.

http://www.gonavy.jp/

glh
February 22nd, 2012, 15:58
This is what I use to stay current on both boats and air wings. I keep my modern MAIW packs up to date and pull the traffic .bgls when squadrons go on deployment.

http://www.gonavy.jp/
----------------------------------------------------------

Wow, A JAPANESE website with all this information. Are they getting ready for a second Pearl Harbor ??