PDA

View Full Version : S-58/Choctaw?

Barnes
January 23rd, 2012, 14:07
Hi - has anyone got this one yet?

http://secure.simmarket.com/dirk-stuck-design-sikorsky-s-58hss-seabathus-seahorsech-34-choctaw.phtml

Tako_Kichi
January 23rd, 2012, 14:21
Boy that one came out of left field, I had no idea one was being worked on. It would have been nice to see a Westland version though for all the RAF/RN schemes.

Prowler1111
January 23rd, 2012, 14:25
It does look great. too bad (for ME, my taste) that they put a GPS in the cockpit..but it does looks good
Prowler

srgalahad
January 23rd, 2012, 15:02
It does look great. too bad (for ME, my taste) that they put a GPS in the cockpit..but it does looks good
Prowler

Not just a matter of your taste... it either shows they worked from pics of a modernized S-58 (not just a GPS, but digital-display COM radios with pre-selects) or didn't think a historically correct model was as important as showing they could model 3D gauges. Unfortunately (now, MY taste :icon_lol:) they could have done two cockpit/panel models (then/now) or left the GPS to a pop-up where it could actually be viewed with some ease.

I know FSX modelers and most customers are taken by the 3D gauge thing, but it puts a lot of models into what the collector car world calls "resto-mods" not quite new, not really authentic with no ability for the customer to fix the discrepancies. I may buy the Choctaw as I love piston helicopters and can probably overlook the GPS, but the same modeling decision has cost at least one otherwise-nice add-on to be left off the "buy" list (1960 cockpit in a 1930's airplane).

Crusader
January 25th, 2012, 07:43
I'm surprised there hasn't been anymore comments on this bird . I personally like the fact it is a FSX UH-34(along with the other variants) which I have been hoping for since I started flying FSX . The modernized VC\gauges I can certainly handle . I love piston helos so I purchased it and am very satisfied . I have three other payware helos along with a dozen or so excellent freeware birds . I certainly am far from an expert on flight dynamics on helicopters but I can hover and land this bird without a lot of problems . the textures and all the variants seem very good to me . (not a painter or expert ). Overall , very pleased with the purchase . To my knowledge there weren't any FSX 34's so I was just as surprised as anyone else there was even one in the works . One of my best friends I went into the Marine Corps with started out on the UH-34(USMC) in RVN before switching to the 46's The only small glitch I ran into was the bird loaded fine (SimObjects\Rotocraft without any problems but when the installer placed a UH-34 SEAHORSE folder in the Startup Menu it did not contain the PDF manual , only the uninstaller and a English and German small text file . I emailed support this morning but haven't gotten anything back yet .

Big helicopter fan ,

Rich

icycle
January 25th, 2012, 13:42
I too have this Helo. While it does not have hi-res textures, etc. It is pretty easy to fly. Sounds are are not its strong point, but ease of flight is. I say its a good investment, thus far.

Bill

Crusader
January 25th, 2012, 14:39
I too have this Helo. While it does not have hi-res textures, etc. It is pretty easy to fly. Sounds are are not its strong point, but ease of flight is. I say its a good investment, thus far.

Bill

I agree on the sounds . Looking to change those out with something else . The textures aren't too bad , the different variants included along with fairly good animations make it well worth the approx. $23 US (until 29 January). Fairly easy bird to fly as you say .

Rich:guinness:

OleBoy
January 25th, 2012, 14:50
It seems like it's been forever since I used FS9. Although I recall a Choctaw/Wessex that was pretty impressive. Looking at this one (from the pictures) the interior is lack-lustre, FS9 quality at the very most. I'm surprised actually because I have several of Dirks models that I'm content with. This one just doesn't fulfill my tastes compared to what's out there as freeware. Native or not.

This one works in FSX (from what I read) and is available @ Flightsim.com. File name wessexrn.zip

And also here. http://www.simshed.com/

big-mike
January 26th, 2012, 07:09
This one works in FSX (from what I read) and is available @ Flightsim.com. File name wessexrn.zip

Thank you,OleBoy.
Works well with FSX+ACC.
Searched this for a while,nice one.
Michael

Tako_Kichi
January 26th, 2012, 07:26

And also here. http://www.simshed.com/
IIRC the original developer said he was going to re-work the Wessex to be fully FSX native much like he did with the Nimrod.

Fireeagle
January 26th, 2012, 12:27
Thank you for your interrest in my Product. I opened a forum on my Homepage where you can write your comments and suggestions. I'm always happy about getting feedback from the buyers of my products.:applause:
With best regards, Dirk Stuck

P.s.: Rich I sent you an e-mail

my next product will be a Pilatus P-21 more info and Pictures soon on my Homepage

icycle
January 26th, 2012, 13:44
FWIW Dirk jest sent out an update, that fixes issues, and adds a manual. New forum can be found here too: http://www.flight-team-bremerhaven.de/index.php?module=pnForum&func=viewforum&forum=30 Bill

OleBoy
January 26th, 2012, 16:04
IIRC the original developer said he was going to re-work the Wessex to be fully FSX native much like he did with the Nimrod.

Tako, I would sincerely open the hanger doors if this happened. Not necessarily flight ops related, but I hope for attention to details within. The Level Of Detail (textures) are a big thing for me in immersion. I couldn't care any less about the radios, GPS, Roaming Map, if the gauges read as they should, or any other crap. All I ask is make it look realistic inside and outside, and fly as it should.

That said, freeware or payware. I like the textures to have depth in realism. :salute:

calypsos
January 27th, 2012, 00:43
I have had a close relationship with this aircraft in the dim and distant past (see avatar), but I am not tempted to pay for the current model mentioned in this thread. New payware should set the bar for FSX, and (from the shots and comments) this looks on a level with the recent freeware Vampire, not the A2A P-40! Having said that, this is just a personal thought.

I have heard no recent updates from Brian (Franklin) who brought us the Nimrod about the current state of developments,(I first worked with him on the FS9 Westland Wessex photos, memories and beta testing only!) and was aware of a very BIG British historic aircraft project that he had started last year, but it was not a helicopter.
Unless Brian pops up to say otherwise, the all new Wessex in FSX is but a twinkle in the developer's eye at the moment. So this payware version is as good as it gets at the moment.

Fireeagle
January 27th, 2012, 09:57
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=258852PunLY

and that was the panel what i make