PDA

View Full Version : Terrain following?

skyhawka4m
January 22nd, 2012, 17:05
Did someone say how does it work?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjdKsYUASlM&feature=g-all-u&context=G291153fFAAAAAAAACAA

MenendezDiego
January 22nd, 2012, 17:28
Falcon BMS has a wonderful terrain following system

strykerpsg
January 22nd, 2012, 17:32
I am looking forward to Virtavia's F-111 release with this feature replicated. It wasn't supposed to be possible but apparently they have figured out how to make it work. Can't wait to fly some late night, moonless mission with TFR engaged, say down around New Zealand and the Orbx terrain.

Matt

Carbine1
January 22nd, 2012, 23:42
If you read the Virtavia comment about the TFR closely it actually states "working TFR (Terrain Following Radar) display". Display being the main word used here. It does not say the jet features a operative TFR.

I would be surprised if they had a functional TFR system working in that jet.

I hope i am wrong though.

Cheers, and nice vid as well.

jeansy
January 23rd, 2012, 00:12
there is a payware autopilot addon that has terrain following,

but i cant remember the name of it right now, i will have look for it and get back to you

**** its called FSPilot v2.2

warchild
January 23rd, 2012, 00:45
I'm not connected with them or anything, but personally, i'd keep an eye on the f-111 FSX project. They're entering closed beta and the bird DOES look very promising.
Pam

dougal
January 23rd, 2012, 06:18
I'm not connected with them or anything, but personally, i'd keep an eye on the f-111 FSX project. They're entering closed beta and the bird DOES look very promising.
Pam

Thanks Pam

I'm REALLY looking forward to that!

Haven't been able to find 'FSPilot v2.2'

Anyone know where it's at?

kilo delta
January 23rd, 2012, 06:29
Anyone know where it's at?

I'm assuming that this is it... http://h568612.serverkompetenz.net:8080/FSPilot/content/index_eng.html

dougal
January 23rd, 2012, 10:53
I'm assuming that this is it... http://h568612.serverkompetenz.net:8080/FSPilot/content/index_eng.html

Thanks, will check it out.

jeansy
January 23rd, 2012, 11:07
thats it,

sorry i quoted the fs9 version

Skyhawk_310R
January 23rd, 2012, 15:19
It is intesting how the F-111 and FB-111 normally get considered when people talk about TF radar systems. The systems as explained in that video were about 95% common between the F-111 and the MC-130E. However, the MC-130E was really the pinnacle of the TF systems at the time the F-111 flew. The MC-130E combined three concurrently running radar modes. Two of these modes used an automatic time-share with the X-Band radar system to provide near concurrent and real-time TF and TA (terrain avoidance) displays. The video originally linked here called that the situational mode. In addition, the MC-130E had a second independent Ka band radar that was used by a second navigator onboard to constantly map the ground and it was called a PGM (Precision Ground Mapping) radar. The Ka PGM was so good that even an average navigator could easily find towers, powerlines, and tall trees with it. Even two-story homes (or one story homes in flat terrain) could be seen and avoided.

In addition, the TF/TA system on the MC-130E had a TF range of 12.8 miles (which is longer than the 10 mile range on the F-111 system) and the TA range was a constant 20 miles and with a far wider scan width of 40 degrees left and right. The set clearances for the TF system on the MC-130E was 250, 500, 750, and 1000 feet AGL.

With a skilled team of two navigators, an MC-130E could rather easily be flown in IMC conditions in the tallest of mountains and turns while terrain following was accomplished using the PGM radar in fan mode with the right navigator referencing his chart to predict terrain and then scanning to the left or right ahead of the turn to ensure the terrain being reflected matched what was expected by the previous in-depth chart study carried out before the flight. One of the most satisfying flights I carreid out on the MC-130E was a TDY to Equador where we flew in actual IMC in the Andes Mountains. And brother, let me tell you they were steep and tall! We had a ton of fun flying during that TDY!

The follow-on version, MC-130H, had a TF/TA radar system that could slew its radar left and right and thereby be able to actually perform a TF and TA radar sweep in the direction of turn.

When you combine that TF/TA and PGM radar system with the most powerful and complete EW suite for a dedicated EWO to use, and it explains why I personally believe that the MC-130E was the most rugged and survivable combat platform in the USAF. Having four generators for the four engines, simply provided far more raw power to the EWO to jam enemy radar systems. As my EWO's said, they laughed at fighters because they could jam them using such insidious methods that the fighter would waste its missiles against us thinking he had a valid shot selection. It was quite funny to watch a confident fighter pilot at Red Flag publicly claim his kill against us, and then watch my EWO point out some display of the fighter's own shot solution that was so inaccurate as to invalidate the missiles' guidance had he shot a real missile against us! The look on the fighter pilot's face was invariably, "How the hell did you do that!" and our EWO and the rest of us would just smile and say, "Sorry, that's a secret!" LOL!!

At Red Flags, the MC-130E would routinely be sent to land at a dirt strip protected by the most advanced Soviet radar guided AAA and SAM sites and between our TF/TA flying nap-of-the-earth and our EWO's powerful EW system, we never got successfully engaged.

With two navigators handling the navigation and radar duties and an EWO onboard, we did not lack for constant attention to the details, leaving our pilots, flight engineer, and loadmasters available to scan for visually and IR guided threats, and we even had flares plus DIRCM (Directed Infrared Counter Measures) to defeat those IR systems.

The seemingly humble MC-130E was quite a weapon system. It carried out some very interesting missions during its career, but has fallen victim to the only unalterable enemy to combat aircraft -- age! They were only recently retired, as were their crews including me!

Ken

Sundog
January 23rd, 2012, 15:28
Thanks for the info Ken. I had no idea any variant of the C-130 ever had TFR, much less the capabilities you describe. I can only imagine the newer versions must have some outstanding capabilities if they're using AESA RADAR systems.

I really enjoyed the video on the F-111's TFR system. I always wondered how the system was designed to initiate the pull-up based on the settings. I almost think of it as a "RADAR Skid" for the plane to slide over the terrain the way it's described.