PDA

View Full Version : any steven tyler fans out there?

Daveroo
January 22nd, 2012, 13:15
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/steven-tyler-scarf-better-star-spangled-banner-rendition-214458567.html

wow...just wow

OBIO
January 22nd, 2012, 13:32
Ever since Rosanne Arnold Barr disrespected the National Anthem, there has been a spate of "singers" butchering what should be the most revered song pertaining to this country. The Star Spangled Banner has been screamed, warbled, chirped and hip-hopped by countless "singers." It is high time that this majestic song be performed with the dignity and awe that it deserves to be performed with. Bring on the US Marine Corps marching band, the US Air Force marching band, the US Navy marching band, the US Army marching band...all at one time...and find a singer who loves this nation, and who actually has a voice and talent for singing, who can sing The Star Spangled Banner in such a way that people will stop drinking their beer and eating their hot dogs, place their right hands over their hearts and show pride and respect for their nation.

OBIO

dharry
January 22nd, 2012, 13:33
:salute: :applause::applause:

rdaniell
January 22nd, 2012, 13:37
:salute: :applause::applause:

Roger that.:applause::applause::salute:

beana51
January 22nd, 2012, 14:53
Disgraceful!..what with the world watching.....just one more Freak! Screaming,Yodeling,Incoherent,Disrespectful,..its not them however,its those who put him there!.So much Talent in America,...They could have done better!...Such a beautiful Anthem..So sad to hear it sung like that!!!

brad kaste
January 22nd, 2012, 15:36
Sad and pathetic.... I turned away from the TV and then hit the mute button about half way through the National Anthem.

Navy Chief
January 22nd, 2012, 15:44
Although I agree S. Tyler's singing was not exactly quality, I think Rosanne Barr's rendition was far worse. Contrast those two with the rendition sang by my favorite performer, Michael Johnson, at a Minnesota Twins game...many years ago.

You will need QuickTime to watch this:

http://www.mjblue.com/clips/video/twins.html

Pete

andersel
January 22nd, 2012, 15:53
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/steven-tyler-scarf-better-star-spangled-banner-rendition-214458567.html

wow...just wow

Nope, but there's no accounting for taste.

LA

Naismith
January 22nd, 2012, 21:00
It befuddles me as to what passes for talent these days. I didn't listen to it all, I presume he may have got the words right. As a non American, I love your anthem, it is a hard one to pull off, but when done right sounds great and dignified.

stiz
January 22nd, 2012, 22:15
well to be honest .. what on earth did you expect, they booked tyler .. and they got him! :mixedsmi:

hey_moe
January 23rd, 2012, 01:56
I happen to be a huge fan of Steven. I listened to what he sang and it was a mess...lol. But what did you expect. He is 63 years old...it's a wonder anyone can carry a tune at that age. I don't really think he tried to trash our American Anthem.That is just how he sings and they knew it.

Cazzie
January 23rd, 2012, 04:45
I mean people, how hard is it to sing one's national anthem, these kids show Tyler for what he is, just another pretencious A-hole!

AzFbD--z1cw

RKinkor
January 23rd, 2012, 05:01
I liked that lady they had for the Niners Giants game. She actually had her hand her heart while singing it unlike some of our "rolemodel" football players.

glh
January 23rd, 2012, 06:12
This is what happens when 63-yr. old men paint the fingernails (and toenails ?) black and do drugs. Most of the people in the video have looks of disbelief on their face.

Dain Arns
January 23rd, 2012, 06:42
This isn't the first time he's mangled the National Anthem, folks.
Here's his attempt at the Indy 500 ...

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/M-JBNRGy7Nc?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="480"></iframe>

Daveroo
January 23rd, 2012, 07:04
id love to have known what AJ Foyt was thinking in the Indy 500 one..the look on his face was like "wow".....but to me..both videos prove he never could "sing"...he just screams words,,as do/did most heavy metal/hair bands of that time,,LOUD music...struming the same cords over and over and just scream into the mic and hope the drugged out kids in the stands were so doped up they didnt care....so long as they "thought " it was cool..they were...

give me some Alison Krauss anyday.........or deanna carter even.....strawberry wine got old after awhile..but its still a nice song

Cazzie
January 23rd, 2012, 07:14
Dave, country performers generally always render the better National Anthems. However, the best I have ever heard was by a large black PA state trooper with a basso voice, who did it at one of the Pocono 500 races. It was chilling.

But every year my little Bristol always comes up with stunning National Anthem performers. Like Carter's Chord last year, chills man.

And any performer that takes longer than two minutes to sing it is showing off their ass!

SifmuwOL5Rs

Dain Arns
January 23rd, 2012, 07:27
This version still gives me the chills....

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Lz6XWStZV48?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

Tako_Kichi
January 23rd, 2012, 08:41
Seems like a case of 'Much Ado About Nothing' to me, it's just a song after all.

They hired Steven Tyler to sing the anthem and guess what, he sang it like Steven Tyler...go figure huh!

If they wanted it sung like an opera singer they should have hired an opera singer to do it!

He did manage to get all the words in the correct order which is more than some of the so called 'better' singers managed to do!

Naismith
January 23rd, 2012, 09:01

<iframe height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Lz6XWStZV48?rel=0" frameBorder="0" width="640" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>
Wow, you Yanks certainly know how to put on a show eh? No I'm not tearing up, I think the Air Con filter needs changing.

Odie
January 23rd, 2012, 09:37
Didn't see it, but isn't the Anthem, from a singing technical viewpoint, supposed to be one of the harder things to sing in terms of hitting everything
correctly?

pilottj
January 23rd, 2012, 09:49
They got what they paid for. I don't blame Steve Tyer. He is a flashy rock star...they hired a flashy rock star...they got a flashy rockstar performance. Just like Rosanne, I don't blame her because she never said she was a singer. She is a comedian and they got what they paid for. The ones to blame are the network/league execs who make that decision. Network and league officials will do what is best for ratings. Controversy is good for ratings, because thats where the money is and in this country, the all mighty dollar is king.

rayrey10
January 23rd, 2012, 12:41
I agree with the fact that it was Steven Tyler being Steven Tyler. I guess the press needed something to talk about since Tebow is now nothing more than a football fan...like the rest of America.

Cazzie
January 23rd, 2012, 13:13

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Lz6XWStZV48?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

The same current ensemble should open every Super Bowl, the Hell with all the others! Kudos Dain, shows how much I sometimes do not watch the Super Bowl. Mighty young TB.

Caz

SpitXIV
January 24th, 2012, 00:47
He made a jerk of himself on the Carrier Midway too, I can't believe the Navy let them do American Idol on that
carrier. He is one ugly human, I sue the term very loosely! LOL! :icon_lol:

dharry
January 24th, 2012, 04:11
He made a jerk of himself on the Carrier Midway too, I can't believe the Navy let them do American Idol on that
carrier. He is one ugly human, I sue the term very loosely! LOL! :icon_lol:

Meow!

Daveroo
January 24th, 2012, 08:30
some of the responces in this thread are interresting to me....i wonder if those that are kind of "ho hum" about it,would feel the same if someone butchered up theyre homelands national anthem in order to "get attention",,,i just thought steven tylers scream fest of our national anthem was direspectfull...as was roseanne barrs version...if you are asked..for whatever reason to sing it..you should atleast have the repsect for your country to attampt to do it right...not pull a stunt for publicity..

SpitXIV
January 24th, 2012, 08:47
carrier. He is one ugly human, I use term human very loosely! LOL! :icon_lol:. Here's some milk Kitty.

hubbabubba
January 24th, 2012, 12:20
some of the responces in this thread are interresting to me....i wonder if those that are kind of "ho hum" about it,would feel the same if someone butchered up theyre homelands national anthem in order to "get attention",,,i just thought steven tylers scream fest of our national anthem was direspectfull...as was roseanne barrs version...if you are asked..for whatever reason to sing it..you should atleast have the repsect for your country to attampt to do it right...not pull a stunt for publicity..

I was about to pass on this one but, quite frankly, Daveroo, you do have a short memory. During 1984 Los Angeles Olympics, Canadian gold medalists were laughed at when they tried to sing O Canada. The reason? Any anthem that went normally over 20 seconds was shortened so that the broadcasters could go swiftly to another event, or another commercial. Canadian would start to mumble as their anthem "switched" abruptly from intro to finale. Of course, they're was one exception to that general rule. I will let you wonder who's country anthem was not so being butchered...:kilroy:

The American anthem covers 3 octaves while the human voice generally stops at two. Years of use and abuse certainly didn't help Steven Tyler, but he's not alone in the lot. Groups are always better simply because they can cover all the notes among themselves. Operatic singers too, out of practice. Quite frankly, the Star Spangled Banner is kind of an "acid test" for singers.

And he has such a lovely daughter...:jump:

Daveroo
January 24th, 2012, 12:40
I was about to pass on this one but, quite frankly, Daveroo, you do have a short memory. During 1984 Los Angeles Olympics, Canadian gold medalists were laughed at when they tried to sing O Canada. The reason? Any anthem that went normally over 20 seconds was shortened so that the broadcasters could go swiftly to another event, or another commercial. Canadian would start to mumble as their anthem "switched" abruptly from intro to finale. Of course, they're was one exception to that general rule. I will let you wonder who's country anthem was not so being butchered...:kilroy:

The American anthem covers 3 octaves while the human voice generally stops at two. Years of use and abuse certainly didn't help Steven Tyler, but he's not alone in the lot. Groups are always better simply because they can cover all the notes among themselves. Operatic singers too, out of practice. Quite frankly, the Star Spangled Banner is kind of an "acid test" for singers.

And he has such a lovely daughter...:jump:

nope...not a short memory about that....i dont watch the olympics..so i never knew about that and to me its dissapointing that that happened.....but thats the tv idiots for ya....would rather disrepect and entire country (canada) than miss an opertunity to make a buck ( commercail),,sad really

rayrey10
January 24th, 2012, 14:01

Be careful when you say that because I am an American, and a veteran as other who posted, and just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean that we are not patriots or care about our respective anthems. The Patriots, the Ravens and/or the AFC decided to have Steven Tyler sign the U.S. national anthem. He is a rock singer who sang exactly how he normally signs, and he is also a little past his prime. I would also argue that some of that "scream fest" was probably done to get the timing right with the fly-by which was either a C-17 or C-5. Lastly, I wouldn't go comparing a singer you don't like, or someone who forgot the words (that happens without bad intentions) to Roseanne Barr who intentionally committed a disrespectful act.

TARPSBird
January 25th, 2012, 08:29
Steven Tyler is a rock singer, he's not Michael Buble or Josh Groban. The NFL and TV network producers had to have some idea of how Steven's version of the anthem would sound. They're the ones who should get pummeled by anybody who is offended to the point of anger by Tyler's rendition.

hubbabubba
January 25th, 2012, 13:43
nope...not a short memory about that....i dont watch the olympics..so i never knew about that and to me its dissapointing that that happened.....but thats the tv idiots for ya....would rather disrepect and entire country (canada) than miss an opertunity to make a buck ( commercail),,sad really

What I was trying to convey is that lack of talent does not equate lack of respect. You have to willfully debase an anthem (like the "tv idiots" - which were the organizing committee btw...) to show lack of respect. If I was to tear my shirt every time our anthem was massacred at sports events (hockey, baseball, basketball, you name it) I would be top-less most of the time - and nobody really want to see that :icon_lol:.

Trans_23
January 25th, 2012, 14:11
Jim Cornelison is the man in Chicago!

2_nQ-GNdo3E