PDA

View Full Version : Wilco Tiltrotor

gajit
December 19th, 2008, 09:03
Hi All

I'm thinking of buying the Tiltrotor but the lack of repaints and screenshots on this and other forums worries me. Is anyone still flying it and loving it - or does it lack something?

Felixthreeone
December 19th, 2008, 09:50
I picked it up for FS9...and after a patch, it is excellent...can only surmise that the FSX version is much better....give it a run. It is a blast to fly!

gajit
December 19th, 2008, 10:56
I picked it up for FS9...and after a patch, it is excellent...can only surmise that the FSX version is much better....give it a run. It is a blast to fly!

Thanks for that.

Nick C
December 19th, 2008, 13:43
Chris Brisland wrote a review on Simflight:

http://simflight.com/2008/12/review-wilco-tiltrotor-fsx-version/

flewpastu
December 20th, 2008, 03:34
Well I got it last night, what a hoot,really fun to fly and the hover and then fly are really accurate. Rob Barendregt did the VTOL gauges so you know that they are accurate. I used some of the settings from this model and pasted them in the ALPHA v22 model and now that model handles much better. All in all its very fun to fly and the missions are good. I would reccommend this to anyone who has the V22. :friday: Now I just need to figure out how to add shockwaves lights, seems some of the lights are hardcoded to the model and theres no entry in the lights config ?.I also changes out the sound folder with the sounds from the alpha V22, they sound mucho better . The sounds that came with this model sound like the default beach king are 350. Other than that what fun.

Bill

rcbarend
December 20th, 2008, 05:21
Well I got it last night, what a hoot,really fun to fly and the hover and then fly are really accurate. Rob Barendregt did the VTOL gauges so you know that they are accurate. I used some of the settings from this model and pasted them in the ALPHA v22 model and now that model handles much better. All in all its very fun to fly and the missions are good. I would reccommend this to anyone who has the V22.
Bill
Just wait untill the new VTOL control is released :icon_lol:, it'll be even better.

What I'm implementing now (and will do for the Alphasim's V22 as well):
In real life, aircraft like the V22 and BA609, during VTOL operation don't actually use lift (V/S) control by varying power (like implemented now, because my whole VTOL stuff was based on how a Harrier-type aircraft works), but by changing propblade pitch and keeping the engines at a constant RPM. So as in a helicopter.

Besides more realism, this also gives a much better V/S control during VTOL (which is now a bit sluggish caused by the long spoolup/down time of these turboprop engines).

:ernae: Rob

gajit
December 20th, 2008, 06:49
I have now got it - so much better than I expected. Thank you for the advice guys.

chinookmark
December 20th, 2008, 07:11
Thanks so much Rob! I was really kind of disappointed in the AS V-22 until I found your VTOL mod. Now it's one of my favorite aircraft. I can't wait for your VTOLv2!

IanP
December 20th, 2008, 07:19
Now that sounds excellent Rob - looking forward to that!

Ian P.

glennc
December 20th, 2008, 09:13
I hate to be the contrarian, but I think the emporer has no clothes. I found take off speed with the nacelles vertical was a little over 150 knots. Then, I find the note in the docs about needing unregistered FSUIPC. Then, I read the notes with FSUIPC and it has all kinds of "gotchas" about firewalls, anti-virus software and other possible interactions. The tilt rotor has been uninstalled.

Glenn

gajit
December 20th, 2008, 09:47
I hate to be the contrarian, but I think the emporer has no clothes. I found take off speed with the nacelles vertical was a little over 150 knots. Then, I find the note in the docs about needing unregistered FSUIPC. Then, I read the notes with FSUIPC and it has all kinds of "gotchas" about firewalls, anti-virus software and other possible interactions. The tilt rotor has been uninstalled.

Glenn

Yes - im struggling to work out if i have successfully added the new FSUIPC or not :mixedsmi: Im getting a big frame rate hit if i fly with the PFDs with the colour background but no prob if i turn off the battery and just fly with the basic info showing. The FSUIPC requirement is a turnoff i must admit. Might have expected some :bs: from a Wilco product.

flewpastu
December 20th, 2008, 10:29
For anyone interested here are the shockwave lights

light.3 = 6, 13.0, -1.60, -1.0, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_narrow //taxi lights
light.4 = 6, 13.0, 1.60, -1.0, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_narrow //taxi lights
light.5 = 5, 12, -0.3, -1.98, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_narrow //front wheel

not perfect for the taxi lights but as close as I can get them

Bill

IanP
December 20th, 2008, 10:42
Yes - im struggling to work out if i have successfully added the new FSUIPC or not :mixedsmi: Im getting a big frame rate hit if i fly with the PFDs with the colour background but no prob if i turn off the battery and just fly with the basic info showing. The FSUIPC requirement is a turnoff i must admit. Might have expected some :bs: from a Wilco product.

Oh, right, so freeware like ArrCab, etc, that also use FSUIPC to talk to FS must be :bs: as well, then, apparently?

Edit: Quick checks that FSUIPC is installed:
1) Is FSUIPC.dll in your FSX/modules folder?
2) Go to the last drop down inside the sim. Is FSUIPC there? If yes, installed. If not, try again.
/Edit

The issue with firewalls, particularly, and FSUIPC is actually the fact that SimConnect, which FSUIPC talks to, uses TCP/IP to communicate - the same as a network or the internet. This was an ACES decision and it is the method of communicating functions into and out of FS. Therefore, if your computer decides not to let FSUIPC talk to Simconnect and therefore they cannot, that is your AV/firewall's problem, not FSUIPC, certainly not Wilco. Also, it requires the free version of FSUIPC. Again, no payment required.

I think some people need to know what they're talking about before they start complaining. :sleep:

Ian P.

gajit
December 20th, 2008, 11:20
Oh, right, so freeware like ArrCab, etc, that also use FSUIPC to talk to FS must be :bs: as well, then, apparently?

Edit: Quick checks that FSUIPC is installed:
1) Is FSUIPC.dll in your FSX/modules folder?
2) Go to the last drop down inside the sim. Is FSUIPC there? If yes, installed. If not, try again.
/Edit

The issue with firewalls, particularly, and FSUIPC is actually the fact that SimConnect, which FSUIPC talks to, uses TCP/IP to communicate - the same as a network or the internet. This was an ACES decision and it is the method of communicating functions into and out of FS. Therefore, if your computer decides not to let FSUIPC talk to Simconnect and therefore they cannot, that is your AV/firewall's problem, not FSUIPC, certainly not Wilco. Also, it requires the free version of FSUIPC. Again, no payment required.

I think some people need to know what they're talking about before they start complaining. :sleep:

Ian P.

Im sorry Ian - but Im not so converse with all this stuff like you are so I expect a product to give me a bit of guidence.

I appeachiate your advice but don't get all stuck up about it. We dont all know everything!

I just like products to work straight away (like Icarus and carendo) without having to add other things not included in the package.

rcbarend
December 20th, 2008, 16:43

Glenn
Just a friendy remark: you might have saved yourself a lot of trouble and annoiance by simply reading the Technical Requirements on Wilco's product page before you bought it.
Which clearly states the usage of FSUIPC.
As it states the requirement of SP2 or Accelleration.

And what you have against FSUIPC, beats me. :isadizzy::isadizzy:
I don't know how long you are an MSFS user, but FYI:
This is by far the most well-known and used addon for every MSFS version since FS98, and without Pete Dowson's efforts on this addon module over the years, some of the really top-end addon aircraft wouldn't even exist today; since untill FSX this was the only way, needed for some real-life systems emulation, to work around the inherent limitations in MSFS.

But of course it's up to you, if you want to enhance your flightsim experiance or not with a product like FSUIPC (but as said, the part needed for the Tiltrotor, is free).

Regards,

Rob Barendregt

rcbarend
December 20th, 2008, 17:13
The FSUIPC requirement is a turnoff i must admit. Might have expected some :bs: from a Wilco product.
Then simply don't buy the Tiltrotor then ...., instead of making remarks like these :censored:

See also my response to Glennc in post #15, explaining why I don't understand people referring to FSUIPC as a "turnoff".

And about your remark in a reply to Ian:
"I appeachiate your advice but don't get all stuck up about it. We dont all know everything!"

Yes, I understand and respect that.
Given my 10-years experiance as a (freeware) designer, in which I spent many 100s of hours free time, giving support and helping out people with their MSFS problems.

But I can assure you, that you'll find people much more willing to help "educate" you, by simply asking questions or make suggestions, instead of using the :bs: "smiley" in public comments, because of lack-of-knowledge and/or irrealistic expectations of a flightsim addon.
The latter not being addressed specifically to you, but to many "complainers" about flightsim addons (payware or freeware) in general.

Regards,
Rob Barendregt

JIMJAM
December 20th, 2008, 17:26
If this has been ask before,sorry, but how does the flight model compare to Alphasims?
Its really a novelty purchase to me but if the fm is a big improvement over the Alpha I have, I might get it.
:bs::bs::bs:
These seem popular in this post so here are mine.

rcbarend
December 20th, 2008, 17:54
If this has been ask before,sorry, but how does the flight model compare to Alphasims?
Its really a novelty purchase to me but if the fm is a big improvement over the Alpha I have, I might get it.
:bs::bs::bs:
These seem popular in this post so here are mine.
:costumes::costumes:

If you are referring to the AS V22-Osprey: wrt. VTOL operation, IMO the flight model of the Tilrotor is slightly better then the AS V22 PLUS my freeware VTOL addon (if you are familiar with that). The latter already being included (without FSUIPC :icon_lol:) in the Tiltrotor product.
Because as you may/maynot know, true VTOL simply isn't possible with the standard MSFS FDE.

And as said in a previous post: I'm continuously trying to improve this for the Tiltrotor and (later on) for my V22 VTOL-addon.

:ernae: Rob

glennc
December 20th, 2008, 19:48
Rob,

I'm no FS novice - been around since Version2 - the first program I ever bought for my first computer. If you wander around the forums here and some other places you might get a feeling for my interest and knowledge. I have also been working the software support for more years than I want to count. I had FSUIPC (unregistered version) on FS9 and never had a problem with it. Of course, point taken about not seeing the requirement for it prior to purchase.

One of the reasons I find all the gotcha's a real turn off is virus and firewall protection is a must now-a-days. And every time I see a developer recommend disabling it to install their product, alarm bells start going off. I run Trend Micro. I usually just leave it running. If all goes well, fine; if not, more than likely the new product won't get installed.

To be very fair, I have the Lagacy and Citation X - like them both for different reasons. One of the attractions to the Tilt Rotor was the G1000 panel. I fly them for real so I'm interested in any simulated version. The other one released this week covers that point very well.

I have a very large and diverse hanger. I have never gotten along real well with helicopters in FSX. I have only about three. Some of them I can land some of the time.

I'm not unhappy in the grand scheme of things. I understand that every so often I'll buy a product that just isn't a good fit. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with it - it just isn't what I want now.

Glenn

gajit
December 20th, 2008, 23:27
Well guys - i stand by my complaint as I still have had no response back from Wilco having gone through their support proceedure.

Thanks to Ian I have been able to confirm that I do now have the right FSUIPC installed.

Not that i never complained about FSUIPC - so im not sure why people have got so :banghead: about that. I just did not know which download option from Peter Dawsons site to choose as nothing was specific on the Wilco manual.

IanP
December 21st, 2008, 02:03
gajit: Unfortunately Wilco support really do deserve the slating they get much of the time. They're definitely one of the "less easy to deal with" companies in the FS industry. Fortunately, Pete Dowson is the opposite. Something that is worth knowing, in case anyone doesn't, is that his support forum at simFlight has a constantly updated "latest downloads" sticky thread, which is a very useful guide to the versions of all his umpteen hundred tools. Glad you've got it working though. Much of my previous post should have been directed at Glenn more than you, so sorry it came out as being directed at the wrong person.

Glenn: If you have been around for as long as you say, then you should know (if you ever bother reading the install instructions, unlike most of us!!! ;)) that almost EVERY installer tells you to turn off AV prior to install. Certainly every game and FS addon I've installed in the last week (I had a clear out and re-installation session) did so, as did the new ATI CCC installer. They do it because AV/firewall false positives are the most common cause of software installation failure, but the vast majority of the time people ignore that instruction and the installation goes without a hitch. That includes FSUIPC. I've never turned off the many AV packages I've tried while installing FSUIPC and I've never had a problem installing it.

You opened your post by saying that everyone else was ignoring the fact that this product was rubbish, because you hadn't read the requirements and had chosen to ignore a step that they said was critical. That's not Wilco's problem, Pete Dowson's problem or anyone else's problem other than your own. Your statement was at fault, not the product, in this instance.

Ian P.

glennc
December 21st, 2008, 05:58
Nothin' new about that.

Glenn