PDA

View Full Version : Activation - Running out of Ideas.

Naismith
January 20th, 2012, 16:04
Like a fool I decided to move FSX to free up HD space. So thinking lets do a fresh install, I dutifully uninstalled it correctly, did all the recommended defragging and clearing out of temp files in windows, I then went about the process of reinstall. Activation time. I type in the correct product key from my GOLD edition and press NEXT

Unable to activate (this has been the case for 4 days and there is nothing wrong with my connections). So today I tried the telephone activation. The historical website connection from the sim no longer works so trying to find a support tel no. was tedious in the extreme. Eventually came across 1 888 571 2048. After a coulle of transfers I spoke with a kindly man who confirmed I have a valid key But went on to inform me that TAKE NOTE....

MICROSOFT NO LONGER GIVE TELEPHONE SUPPORT FOR THIS PRODUCT.

He then advised that any further support should go through Answers at microsoft.com. I pointed out that I had a valid licence to a useless product. He could not see that argument. I checked out Answers and there is pitifully little about this issue there and what responses there are were circular largely advising problems to the tel support.
So that's it for me unless anyone has any brainiac ideas. Been MS simming since 94 with MSFS 5.0 and everything in between. But I'm done now. I haven't the heart to reinstall FS9 and all its addons. There comes a time and I suppose this is it for me.

TeaSea
January 20th, 2012, 16:09
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928080

Try the link above....don't know if it will help, but couldn't hurt.

Naismith
January 20th, 2012, 16:12
Tried that - no good. Thank anyway.

warchild
January 20th, 2012, 16:12
Naismith
There is an option. its Lockheeds Prepar3d. Fully compatible with your existing aircraft, and built from the very same engine. It can keep you going.. Without Microsoft..

Naismith
January 20th, 2012, 16:18
Well slap my face and call me Mildred, I reckon there have been shennannigans going on at MS since I hung up from them 30 mins ago. Suddenly after 4 days of trying I type in the code and voila its works. Very suspicious.

Naismith
January 20th, 2012, 16:21
TX for the swuggestion Pam, but isn't Prepare whatever .... like $400???

It now occurs to me that I may have to go through all this again with the Acceleration package.

Stand by your beds!

warchild
January 20th, 2012, 16:25
Other people here know far more than i about prepar3D. I do remember something about some kind of ten buck a month subscription thing that Lockheed was offering..

Gibbage
January 20th, 2012, 16:33
$400 is a flat license fee. Or you can subscribe at $10 a month. LM's contract with MS prevents them from going commercial with Prepar3d, so you will never see a boxed $59.95 product. Also, I doubt a company like LM even cares to make a commercial product. In reality, Prepar3d is made for military applications and big company's like Boeing, not us. I personally dont care much for it since in 6 years they really havent done much with the base FSX engine other then add under-water capability (for sub simulation). Just think if FSX was $10 a month. That means most of us would of shelled out HUNDREDS in the last 6 years.

Naismith
January 20th, 2012, 16:49
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnwIIKnWJtg&feature=related

Saints be praised. I'm still a bit suspicious of MS however and this no more tel support?

warchild
January 20th, 2012, 16:53
Yup, your right, but the alternatives and options available are limited, and for the most part, grim. for ten bucks, you get two copies of the environment and interface plus two copies of the sdk. If I may be so rude as to quote from LM's page,

"
The Prepar3D Developer Network Program is designed to provide an ecosystem with the technical, marketing and sales tools and resources needed to develop “Prepar3D Compatible” offerings.
The program is also open to any individual or business who is interested in using Prepar3D to develop applications and add-ons. They can register to become a member of the Prepar3D developer network community and gain access to additional development tools and resources. "

maybe i'm fantasizing, but to me, that says LM has somethng up its sleeve, and we're part of it, or can be. I DOES however provide a base that is compatible with the several thousand's that someof us have already spent on aircraft and scenery, ( and not to mention provides a footprint for a completely user based development environment that "isnt" lorded over and hounded by MS )..
The truth though, is on the wall in bold print at the top of this post. MS is pulling back from MSFS in all its forms. We need to begin thinking of and researching viable replacement options. Prepar3d is one such option.
Purely technically speaking, most of us here arent gamers. LM signed a license that states it wont make games. Thats cool.. I like Mass effect because its a good game. I like the A@A products and my own because they simulate the world and make me work to enjoy them.. I do simulations, not games.. LM has never been slow in my book. It has always recognized the future as it approaches. It knows full well the benefits of putting high powered simulations in the hands of young adults for the benefit of creating future pilots which will fly the aircraft LM produces ( either in the cockpit, or as has become popular from inside a van somewhere remotley controling the aircraft from a simulator like interface ). 90% of us here are already well trained to fly the global hawk and predator, and they know it. helping us out, helps them out. its a win win situation..

The other option is we can all spend 80 bucks on X-plane and us developers can sell our aircraft for ten to fifteen a copy instead of thirty to fourty.. and all us flight model guys can go on permanent vacation because somehow X-plane knows exactly how any given plane is supposed to fly.. Its magical..

warchild
January 20th, 2012, 16:59
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnwIIKnWJtg&feature=related

Saints be praised. I'm still a bit suspicious of MS however and this no more tel support?

ROFLMFAO:: We NEEDED that.. thank you :) :)

rcbarend
January 20th, 2012, 18:14
Hi,

Not sure if this will help you, but read the second post in this thread:
http://forum.avsim.net/topic/63828-another-acceleration-activation-error-problem-1-800040/

For me, it solved the online-activation problem after re-installing FSX.

Rob

Naismith
January 20th, 2012, 20:23
Thanks Rob I got up and running before you posted but I saved the link for that Just in CAse moment.