PDA

View Full Version : VTOL addon for existing V22 Osprey models; any interrest ?

rcbarend
January 20th, 2012, 09:07
Hi,

Based on new insights, my ongoing (since 2003) development work on true VTOL solutions, I have made quite some progress this passed year.
Upto now, implemented in the Wilco Harrier and (even more perfected) in the upcoming SSW AV8B Harrier.

Todate (as far as I know), there is only one decent model of a V22 Osprey: the old Alphasim FSX model, later re-packaged by Virtavia (both payware).
Both of them being FSX-compatible models, not true FSX-models. (although working perfectly in FSX-SP2 or FSX-Accelleration).
I know, for some of you this is a "show-stopper", if so: you can stop reading :)

I can only guess why no developper (freeware or payware) is interrested in making a true native-FSX model of (IMO) a highly interresting and unique aircraft like the V22 Osprey; most probably because they don't want to burn their hands on the complex conversion/helo modes of such an aircraft.
Which, without special trickery, is just impossible to emulate properly in MSFS. Simply, because FS9/FSX doesn't support it.
Again, just MY opinion :)

Over the years, I have released several versions (for FS9 and FSX) of my VTOL (freeware) addon for this V22 Osprey.
Including a variant of it, included in the Wilco Tiltrotor (BA-609: an aircraft based on the same principles as the Bell/Boeing V22 Osprey).

If there's enough interrest amoung you, I'm certainly willing to develop/upload a new VTOL addon for this V22 Osprey, based on my latest VTOL idea's/implementations for Harriers. If so, please reply in this thread.

To have no misunderstanding: you need to own the Alphasim or Virtavia payware package; my addon package on that will be freeware.

What you would get in my addon:
- New flightdynamics for the conversion/helo modes; i.e. nacelles rotated out of the forward (cruise) position.
- Control of the engines (ThrustControlLevers) through FSX PropPitch commands (either keyboard commands, or a controller axis for PropPitch).
- Control of the nacelles position in 10 discrete steps (from 0 to 90 degrees rotation), via FSX "flaps" commands.
Note: I can't change the visual model of the Alphasim/Virtavia V22, which has the nacelles/flaps animated through FSX "flaps" settings. Moreover, there is no other "unused" control axis in FSX I can use, to emulate a true contiguous control of nacelles angle).
- Includes emulation of stuff like weight-dependancies, HOGE effect, ground effect, inertia (lacking in previous VTOL addons), etc.

If you're interrested: please state if you have the old Alphasim version or the re-packaged Virtavia version.
The solution is the same, the packaging (folder names, gauge names) is just different.

Cheers,

Rob Barendregt

johndetrick
January 20th, 2012, 09:11
I for one would welcome it. I have the newer virtavia version.

PutPut
January 20th, 2012, 09:43
Count me in! I have the older Alphasim FSX model. (BTW, it is 72F and sunny in Long Beach!):icon_lol:

Best, Paul

Milamber
January 20th, 2012, 09:47
Yes please kind Sir. I also own the Virtavia model and would welcome such an endeavour. It doesn't get flown terribly often because it's a little difficult in certain phases of flight. Thank you in anticipation.

M.

mal998
January 20th, 2012, 09:53
Rob,

Thanks for all the hard work you've done over the years in giving these vertical lift aircaft new and more realistic life in the sims.

I do have the AS V-22 and would be very interested in having updated gauges and flight dynamics. I am looking forward to taking the ol' tilt rotor for a spin.

Thanks!
mal

Paul Anderson
January 20th, 2012, 10:05
Interested but confused.

I have the Alphasim version and am using RCB gauges, been using for years

The Alphasim version is native fsx from what I can tell (both interior and exterior model files, texture.bump folder has dds file extentions, excellent frame rates) and the panel config using rcb gauges is version 2.0 dated 09/30/2007.

This combination has been working great for me, gauges saved the model from going into the digital dust bin because of handling.

Would what you are proposing not work for the native fsx model that I believe I have?

flewpastu
January 20th, 2012, 12:17
Most definitely I would be interested, I have the old ALPHASIM V22. :icon29:

Bill

BigDog
January 20th, 2012, 12:41
Rob, sent you a PM, I have the old one with the newer files like the tilt rotor you sent me, would love to try it. Gregory

Sundog
January 20th, 2012, 14:11
Big thumbs up from me. I've really enjoyed your V/STOL FDE's and would love an update for the AS V-22.

Bone
January 20th, 2012, 14:22
I got it when it was marketed as Alphasim, and an updated hover guage would be very nice. Thanks.

racartron
January 20th, 2012, 15:14
Count me in as well. Just recently installed the fsX version and would appreciate all the "improvements" I can handle. The sucker is a handful. Course, anything remotely resembling a helo is a handful for me.:icon_lol:

FlameOut
January 20th, 2012, 15:20
Count me in for this ol' poker game! :wavey:

I think I had installed one of your old files, or maybe I didn't, anyways I've only got one rotor "turning". The other one is dead and does not move. The ol original bird takes off and handles like both rotors are turning.

... its been sooo looong ago...

vonstroheim
January 20th, 2012, 15:24
If you're interrested...

Yes indeed! I have the "new" Virtavia package and it's native FSX (with "MDLXMDLH" code in both interior/exterior mdl files). I already have your "vtol mv22 rcbvca11" gauge (sept 2007) and it's working just fine. But if you say you have a new one, and it's even better, yes please I want it!

RAAF repaint by Mobius (aussiex.org)

rcbarend
January 20th, 2012, 17:42
Okay, enough interrest as it appears ....:icon_lol:

To clear a few points:

1. Yes, I have send a beta's since the original addon upload for the FSX-Alphasim version, to a few people.
Rest assured: this new one will be better ....:)

2. Whether the Alphasim/Virtavia FSX package is a true FSX-native model or not: I'm a bit confused myself now.
- Yes, it has a seperate int/ext .mdl file. In that respect you could call it FSX-native.
- On the other hand, my (and general) interpretation of "FSX-native" is, if the model is built according to the FSX-SP2 SDK, with all it's features. In that respect (my opinion) it's just a "ported" model since it was released before SP2 / Acceleration was released.
However, to me, this definition isn't really important; so let's not argue on the definition of "FSX-native" :) ......

Give me a few weeks, and I'll develop/upload a freeware addon package for both the Alphasim and Virtavia package, based on my latest insight on V(S)TOL behaviour for this aircraft.

Best regards, Rob

rcbarend
January 20th, 2012, 18:01
Count me in! I have the older Alphasim FSX model. (BTW, it is 72F and sunny in Long Beach!):icon_lol:

Best, Paul
Hi Paul,

Yes, I know about the Alphasim model you have ....:)
Glad for you it's sunny over there; here in Huizen the weather really s*cks now .....
But my Grolsch-beers still are at 04C; as they should be ....:)

:icon29: Rob

Emile
January 21st, 2012, 05:04
hello,
Most definitely I would be interested, I have the old ALPHASIM V22.
Thanks in advance

ramsa329
January 21st, 2012, 07:19
Yes I have the old Virtavia/Alphasim V-22 and eould like a copy of your work also !!!

Thanks in advance

ramsa329@msn.com

italoc
January 21st, 2012, 07:33
I have the Abacus Platinum Collection V22 Osprey ..... could I use your VTOL addon ?!?!?
Italo

rcbarend
January 23rd, 2012, 19:03
I have the Abacus Platinum Collection V22 Osprey ..... could I use your VTOL addon ?!?!?
Italo

Sorry, No.
I don't have that addon, so I can't test it or give directions on how to use it.

Rob

rcbarend
February 14th, 2012, 17:14
Beta-version available; testing in progress now ....
Thanks, Paul :)

FlameOut
February 14th, 2012, 17:28
That is good news, thanks.

Milamber
February 15th, 2012, 00:41
Beta-version available; testing in progress now ....
Thanks, Paul :)

This is really good news Paul and I hope that the Beta Testing goes well and, hence, early availability for users. Thanks again.

M.