PDA

View Full Version : Art, or . . .

gecko65
January 19th, 2012, 19:33
Pima Air & Space Museum Launches Boneyard Art Exhibit

The exhibit features several pieces from the more than 30 artists who participated in the project, much of it graffiti art. Entire airplanes such as the Douglas DC-3, Boeing C-97 and Lockheed Jetstar are featured in the exhibit.

http://www.flyingmag.com/pilots-places/pilots-adventures-more/pima-air-space-museum-launches-boneyard-art-exhibit

I'm not sure I'm on to the idea myself. I think the originally restored planes they have there are works of art in themselves.

hawkeye52
January 20th, 2012, 05:49
This is nothing new, really. Remember that back in the sixties (or seventies), Braniff paid big bucks to reknowned post-modernist Alexander Caldwell to paint a DC-8 (or two) in wild colors. That was news then, but nowadays -- after a decade of Japanese airliners in "Hello Kitty", Disney and similar "liveries", this will not make any headlines. The only value I see in this latest incarnation at Pima Air & Space is that it may keep the graffiti artists off the streets. In any event, count on it fading fast; as I said, this is not new nor is it innovative.

The foregoing paragraph addresses what I believe will be the reaction of the general public. As far as the reaction of folks such as ourselves who populate these forums, I believe our reaction will simply be: sick.

- H52

wombat666
January 20th, 2012, 05:56
It's not 'Art', just 'Graffiti' and that is not 'Art'.
:173go1:

gecko65
January 20th, 2012, 07:45
I understand the idea of painting current flightline aircraft with different schemes as an advertising point. I guess I would just rather see the classics restored back to their original shape and paint, and not altered in the name of art.

Meh.

jhefner
January 20th, 2012, 07:51
An opposing view:

As long as they are not permenantly defacing the planes, they can always be stripped and repainted. While aluminum skinned aircraft can go without painting; steel parts cannot, and a coat of paint, even if not authentic, helps keep rust at bay.

If it can be used to raise revenue to preserve them as well as generate publicity for the museum, it is not a bad deal long term. When the exhibit is over, the proceeds raised can be used to strip and repaint them.