PDA

View Full Version : Seattle Snow and Ice storm...post your pics

limjack
January 19th, 2012, 10:01
Let's try this again....just before I uploaded everything and about to hit the post button the power went out. Power now back on and in the bonus round for I suspect we will be out for good in just a little bit for a long long long time.

If you have some cool shots to share of the storm damage or just nice winter storm pics...feel free to post on this thread. Her our a few shots of our area during this winter storm. We received 8 inches of snow and now the freezing rain that is collecting on everything causing the power to surge on and off. Seattle and surrounding areas are struggeling as for trees our coming down all around. So far our trees have stayed up and just doing a lot of that crazy creeking sounds as though any min. they will flop to the ground. Here our a few shots out front.
http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww215/limjack/IMG_2170.jpg
http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww215/limjack/IMG_2171.jpg
http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww215/limjack/IMG_2181.jpg

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww215/limjack/th_MVI_2184.jpg (http://s721.photobucket.com/albums/ww215/limjack/?action=view&current=MVI_2184.mp4) The coke test.....not sure if this vid will work..I am attaching from photbucket.click the coke picture..let me know if the vid plays.

By the way...no garbage day!

brad kaste
January 19th, 2012, 10:12
The video plays back. The 'thick ice' test was proven.

WarHorse47
January 19th, 2012, 10:31
14 inches here..

There's a truck in there somewhere.

This was taken at 5:00 am Wednesday morning with more snow to come. Now we're dealing with heavy rain which is freezing on top of the snow from yesterday.

:ernae:
--WH

limjack
January 19th, 2012, 10:44
Thanks for coke test. Reply. We just lost power for good so see ya on the other side. Now where is my am radio. Jim

Toastmaker
January 19th, 2012, 11:46
Best of luck to you. . . real estate prices in Florida are really low right about now. . .

:running:

crashaz
January 19th, 2012, 21:56
Thanks for sharing the pics..... Dallas last year sucked.

OBIO
January 19th, 2012, 22:51
My brother-in-law Mike loves storms like that. He works for a tree service, and gets sent all over the Eastern half of the US doing tree removal work following such storms. When the big storm hit New England earlier this winter, Mike was there for 3 weeks cutting away downed trees so power lines could be replaced. Would have been there longer, but as he was pulling out of a gas station in the big truck pulling the huge chipper, the back bumper on the truck snagged the wheel well of a car...ripped off the entire fender, front bumper/facia, and grill of the car. Luckily, one of the higher ups in the company saw what happened (the gal was on her phone and tried to cut in behind the truck). Mike was sent home..but he was not fired (which is the company's normal procedure when a company truck is involved in an accident and the driver is found to be at fault...yeah...because Mike was an out-of-state driver, the local cop cited him instead of the local twit who was too busy yakking on her IPhone to notice the great big truck pulling a huge bright yellow wood chipper).

OBIO

stansdds
January 20th, 2012, 00:43
Here in central Virginia, we have not seen that sort of winter weather in a long time. For us it's mostly rain, sometimes snow and occasionally sleet and/or freezing rain. I do remember one March storm, happened in the early 1980's. It was actually three storms in one week. The first started as sleet, then finished as snow. The second storm was all snow, about 12 inches of it. The third storm started as snow and finished as freezing rain. It compacted the snow to about 8-10 inches and sealed it beautifully. It was a real mess and seemed to take forever to melt.

The worst storm I can remember happened in December of 1998, the Christmas ice storm. No snow, just freezing rain, over 1 inch of it on everything. That brought down trees, tree limbs and just about every power line around here. Depending upon where you lived, you were without power from a few days to three weeks.

deKoven
January 20th, 2012, 04:56
Heh, looks like Everett got way more than Seattle this time. My deck has 11 inches piled on it and the trees are way loaded with snow. Happens ever decade or so. Been lots years since the last one. Oh, and just in case it 'scaped yer notice;

The rain is coming and all that snow will be gone in two days, three tops. Pugget Sound, ya gotta love it.

:sleep:

limjack
January 20th, 2012, 07:22
Brrrrrrrrrrrrr in the house of no heat. Got I pad to work but limited battery will post a few more shots in a couple days when we get our power back (that's what the news is telling us, I hope sooner) Otherwise have small fire going in our den and inclosed the area to keep what heat it gives out (wish we had a wood stove!). Got to keep the new grandson warm. House is about 50 degrees and 64 degrees in the den area this morning.

Jim

WarHorse47
January 20th, 2012, 13:29
Well, that was fun.... NOT.

At 2:15 pm yesterday the power went out. It just came back on about 45 minutes ago. We've lived here since 1976 and the longest we've been without power is 8 hours, so this is a record (and a wakeup call) for us.

I've spent the last 24 hours or so fetching firewood to feed the fireplace. The inside temperature dropped as low as 60 degrees, so I faired a lot better than our neighbors. But I'm a little sore and tired.

The wife stuggled to keep warm, read in the dark and find her favorite radio station. I got frustrated not getting any news on what was going on, or when the energy company might come to our rescue. We heard there were as many as 260,000 without power with most concentrated in our county.

Within the last couple of hours we finally determined this might be a long wait, so we started to unload the refridgerators and put the food elsewhere to keep it from spoiling. While I was getting our cooler from the shed, I could hear the backup alarms from industrial trucks - so, I kept my fingers crossed. No more that 30 minutes later, the power was back.

After I finish this stiff, adult beverage in front of me and check my e-mails, I need a long, hot shower.

--WH

GT182
January 20th, 2012, 18:13
Hope you guys all make out ok and it doesn't get any worse. The eriest part of a storm like these is the total darkness outside. But it's a great way to see the stars at night, if you can keep warm enough. LOL BTW, once the storm passes and you're still without power you see what I mean. ;)

I've been in a bunch of storms up in the Northest over the years. Some as bad but most worse. Not fun at all, especially when you have no power for a week and you can go nowhere. In the Ice Storm of 98 we kept warm with 4 keroseen lamps, candles, and and the kerosun heater on a limited basis... keroseen shortage because of no power to pump it. Gas grill and the kerosun heater was the only way to heat water that week.

Jack, hang on to the rest of your sodas. You might need em. ;) LOL

fsxar177
January 20th, 2012, 18:46
Hi,
Been fun listening to these stories!

I live in the rural Idaho mountains, see ("Smith Prairie" airport in FSX) and we were also without power, for about 36 hours. During which time we received near 3ft of snow, which has been followed by 6 hours of rain between last night, and now again this evening. It's rather interesting out there, seeing as our ground is froze solid! I live/work on a cattle ranch, and it has been full-time keeping up with chores, and we're still behind!

Fun stuff!

Joseph

Jagdflieger
January 20th, 2012, 20:05
We just got our power back on after 48 hours without. No issues though; we have a wood stove for heat and we use the BBQ grill and a camp stove for cooking when we lose power. It's kind of fun as we all generally just stay at home and avoid the slick and jammed up roads.

We got about 8" of snow at my house and that wasn't bad. I grew up in the Rocky Mountains and 8" of snow for me is not big deal, but the freezing rain that fell on top of the snow and which coated the trees was the real problem with this storm. Lots of trees down in our neighborhood and a few roads closed as a result.

Here's my house just prior to the freezing rain:

limjack
January 21st, 2012, 15:38
:jump: Power back on here as well. Nice shots everyone and stories. I used to love this stuff as a kid but for some reason it just isn't that fun as an adult. It is a lonly feeling or feeling of seclusion being trapped in the house and not only being trapped but isolated to a couple rooms where the heat sorce is. For us it was only 24 hours so we got off easy this time. I did take a walk around the neighborhood and found down trees everywhere and on HUGE tree that just cracked in half. It was one of my wifes favorite trees to look at on our summer walks. We all took huge hits in each yard with branches and trees down but could of been worse. Enjoy the pics..
http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww215/limjack/snowstorm2012041.jpghttp://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww215/limjack/snowstorm2012001.jpghttp://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww215/limjack/snowstorm2012002.jpghttp://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww215/limjack/snowstorm2012028.jpg
http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww215/limjack/snowstorm2012032.jpghttp://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww215/limjack/snowstorm2012033.jpg

kludger
January 21st, 2012, 19:10
We just got our power back on after 48 hours without. No issues though; we have a wood stove for heat and we use the BBQ grill and a camp stove for cooking when we lose power. It's kind of fun as we all generally just stay at home and avoid the slick and jammed up roads.

Wow glad you got your power back but that is a long time, thankfully we didn't lose power this time, although we saw lots of flickering and the glow of transistors blowing a couple of miles away.

I was just thinking if the power did go I might have to resort to going to Starbucks for some FSX like this guy:

Hope power stays on through the next few stormy days.

WarHorse47
January 21st, 2012, 20:02
More pics from our street...

These were taken the mid-day on Wednesday. On Thursday everything was covered with ice.

The trees in the middle of the above picture (end of our cul-de-sac, facing South) were cut down. It sounded like a war zone with all the branches breaking in the neighborhood when the snow froze on the trees and the wind kicked up.

This is looking North. Our house is just to the left outside the picture frame. There is a slight incline in all that snow. Nothing got plowed, but as of today most is melted due to the warm rain.

Our power came back Friday afternoon at 1:30 pm, after 23 hours. There are still many in our county without power, some who lost it even earlier than us.
--WH

limjack
January 21st, 2012, 20:38
Wow glad you got your power back but that is a long time, thankfully we didn't lose power this time, although we saw lots of flickering and the glow of transistors blowing a couple of miles away.

I was just thinking if the power did go I might have to resort to going to Starbucks for some FSX like this guy:

Hope power stays on through the next few stormy days.

Lol. That is funny

SPman
January 22nd, 2012, 00:01
Looks a trifle cool for me....

We're currently at the other time of year....:ernae:

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa36/JonL_photo/DSCF3583.jpg

DennyA
January 22nd, 2012, 09:21
You guys think you have it bad... This snowstorm brought the Snow Zombies out on the Eastside.

We had to call in the Nerf Squad to take them down.

limjack
January 22nd, 2012, 09:31
You guys think you have it bad... This snowstorm brought the Snow Zombies out on the Eastside.

We had to call in the Nerf Squad to take them down.

O BOY!!!! That is disturrbing
:icon_lol:
Moving my thread to and "R" rating now.

DennyA
January 22nd, 2012, 10:43
Bored snowed-in 9-year-olds + leftover fake blood from Halloween = win! :)

Panther_99FS
January 22nd, 2012, 14:40
Some great photography here! :wavey:
That being said, glad to hear that it appears like power is back on now...

Jagdflieger
January 22nd, 2012, 15:28
My neighor's kids built an 8 foot high snowman, but that snow zombie takes the cake for originality. Reminds me of some the Calvin and Hobbies snow men cartoons.