PDA

View Full Version : A question about BSK's Spitfire MkVC....

kelticheart
December 18th, 2008, 23:49
A good day to everybody! :wavey:

Since Bruno released his splendid Spit MkVB/C Trop series, :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:, I have been puzzled by a detail concerning the armament of the MkVC with four cannons.

All of the WWII books and profiles I have got, describe the the "C" wing Spitfire armament being only of four Hispano 20 mm cannons, yet Bruno's MkVC retains the four .303" machine guns with the four 20 mm cannons. I wondered if that would have not been a tad too heavy for the rather thin Spitfire wing, in terms of sheer weapon weight plus all the necessary ammo rounds.

Moreover, the only B/W pic I have of a flight of Spits MkVC's armed with four cannons over the Adriatic sea, shows, under a magnifying lense, that the four machine guns ports are indeed there. The ports seem to be closed or doped over, the anti-freezing measure adopted on the majority of Allied fighter planes. Could it be that the ports were there without the machine guns inside the wings? It would fit the interchangeable wing philosophy of the MkIX, for example, equipped wih the standard "B" armament of 2 x 20mm cannons plus 4 x .303" machine guns and stubs in place of the second pair of cannons.

Mine is not meant to be criticism, but deep curiosity, since Spitfires equipped with 4 x 20mm cannons, a formidable firepower, were not too common in WWII. Therefore, there is not a lot of info about this Spitfire version out there. As a matter of fact, later marks carried another variation on the theme, with two outer 20 mm Hispano cannons and two lighter American-made .50" Browning machine guns, in place of the inner second pair of cannons, described by war reports as a heavy punch as well. Pictures of this particular weapon arrangement show that the wing leading edge earlier .303" ports aren't there anymore.

Can anybody enlighten me? :jump:

Thank you!
KH :ernae:

AGAS 5
December 19th, 2008, 01:05
Hi KH,

Stewart Wilson's book lists the RAAF specs as:

Two 20mm Hispano Mk.I/II cannon plus four .303 Browning Mk.II machine guns or four 20mm Hispano Mk.I/II cannon.

This would tend to suggest the standard VC wing was fitted for, but not with the .303 mg.

Hope this helps....

Pete

hewman100
December 19th, 2008, 03:13
The 'C' wing was developed as an Universal wing and was fitted with either of the above specs.

As far as is known four cannon plus four MGs was not used as an armament fit.

kelticheart
December 23rd, 2008, 14:32
Thank you both, Agas5 and Hewman100.

Your answers agree with my sources, so in Brunosk's MkVC armed with 4 x 20 mm cannons, for the sake of historical accuracy, the machine guns should be removed from the dp file and the wing textures re-adjusted accordingly.

The gun ports should be left in place painted over, while the smoke streaks on the wings and the underside spent cartridges ejection ports should be deleted from the texture.

Now, adjusting the dp is not a problem, but, who's willing to tinker with the beautiful, accurate textures this aircraft came with?...:d

Cheers!
:santahat: KH :ernae:

Jagdflieger
December 23rd, 2008, 17:34
It looks like we can keep two seperate DP files, one for each version of the C wing. It'll be nice to have the crew chiefs set up the plane properly for the needs of each mission. Of course the armorers will be pulling their hair out over it all, but what the heck.

Great idea KH.