PDA

View Full Version : Need a repainters help

ST0RM
January 17th, 2012, 06:46
I've repainted a scheme for the IRIS F-16D but can't get it to work. It crashes FSX as soon as I select it. I've checked the cfg file and made sure the the files were saved in the same format as the defaults.

I'd liked to send this to someone to check over. Please reply here if you are willing to help and have the IRIS F-16D.

Thanks!
Jeff

OleBoy
January 17th, 2012, 09:34
You might make sure you saved in your repaint in the same format as other repaints?

ST0RM
January 17th, 2012, 10:29
Done that. The default F-16D textures are DDS 888-8 32 Bit and since I used their templates, I did the same.

I even made sure an alpha channel was associated. In DXTBmp, after editing the image, I moved over to the Alpha block, used the Create Alpha Channel (Black), and then saved. Again, crash. I then went back, repeated the process with the addition of "Apply Alpha to Image" and saved again. Still crashes.

If I'm doing something wrong, I've got no clue. Previous repainting was so much easier.

Thanks!
Jeff

RobH
January 17th, 2012, 10:48
Jeff,

I know you said you went through your CFG file, did you verify that your texture name is exactly the same as your new texture folder? Are all the necessary texture files in your new folder including the texture.cfg? Just throwing out ideas here. I have done many repaints and have never had FSX crash before. I have had the plane show up all gray or black, but never crash, and I screw things up a lot, lol. Just wondering if something else is messed up, and not the textures.

Edit: Have you added other peoples repaints without any crashes?

ST0RM
January 18th, 2012, 09:14
Yeah Rob,

I've checked the cfg so many times, I've lost count.

I'm pretty much at a loss here.

I've only once had a similiar problem with repaints crashing the sim. It was with the T-6 Texan II and the yellow 100th Anniversary scheme. If a repaint was created with a more updated (patched) aircraft, does that edit the textures any? I know the model and some cfg data is changed, but if the model is changed and has specifics as to what the texture would require, then that might be the issue?

Lastly, I'm not 100% certain of the alpha channel I'm adding. I'm doing it the only way I know, but...

I'd hate to dump the repaint, but I might have to.

Thanks,
Jeff

OleBoy
January 18th, 2012, 19:38
Just for the sake of doing it, save from the painting program as .BMP/32bit. Then to DXTBMP, (consider opening a known working-alpha from another paint and exporting it for use in the new paint. Import alpha) flip image and alpha, save as .DDS/DXT5 and see what happens. It may not be the way you usually do it, but I've found that the file gets saved to the wrong format sometimes. I do it this way as a process-of-elimination, and last resort. It's something obvious you're missing. It has to be.

RobH
January 23rd, 2012, 10:02
This problem has been solved, the problem was with the alpha channel.