PDA

View Full Version : In Light of Good 2 Be B-24 Thread....

Devildog73
December 18th, 2008, 21:04
What is the BEST set of bombers out here?

I guess I should rephrase that a bit. I have FDG2's B-17 donationware and it is the base that I judge all freewares with.

So, in freeware bombers:
What are the best to fly?
What have the best FPS?
What have the best set of clothes?

Wulf190
December 18th, 2008, 21:13
KM's B-24s, Ju-88s
Ground Crew's He-111
Thicko's Do-17, Bleinhiem, Ilyshian DB-3s, Ilyushian IL-4, Pe-2,
The BR2 Ki21
Bruno's Martin Maryland
Stuart Green's Betty
Wolfi's Nell
Gnoopy's B-29 'beta'
The freeware Alpha Sim Wellington
FDG A-20
Paul Burnage's Mosquito bombers

Jagdflieger
December 18th, 2008, 22:37
I think that Wulf has named most of 'em.

I might add Roy Chaffin's Mitchell bomber, but due to his limitations on textures, it has a rather limited niche in CFS 2.

I also like the Alphasim freeware A-20/Boston III and Whitley bombers.

OBIO
December 19th, 2008, 01:00
I like the Alpha Sim B-24s better than Malinowski's B-24s...simply due to better frame rates. Malinowski's look better and have better animations, but the Alpha Sim Libs give much higher frame rates.

I like most of the Alpha Sim bombers pretty well. The B-17s are decent, not nearly as nice as the FSG2 B-17s....not by a long shot...but are definitely worth having in one's collection of freeware.

My all time favorite bomber is a real dog in terms of quality...it's an older model. But I love it due to the huge huge payload....the Alpha Sim XB-35. I love flying that big old flying wing at about 5000 feet at night with unlimited ammo on....just flying along in external view dropping tons and tons and tons of bombs and watching the explosions below me.

The FDG A-20 is super nice. Gnoopey's B-29 is the best one going. Bismark has a lot of really nice bombers (need to get back to reskinning his aircraft...got many started, few done...and the Early Mustang update...too many projects, not enough time).

OBIO

hewman100
December 19th, 2008, 03:06
I have to add Stuart Greens Halifax to that list.

In view of Bismarcks a/c I'm using the Botha as a simple test of my own repainting skills.

Stops me from going mad over these bloomin' vehicles I trying to paint.

jimskifs
December 19th, 2008, 03:51
One of the KM B24's is a lot better than all the rest, I think it is called "Hail Columbia", because it has a perfect flight model. In addition it comes with a high frame rate AI model. As I recall the older KM's were too slow to take off and too fast in the air. And Hail Columbia is the only B24 I have that doesn't have a flat nose strut.

Jimski

Rami
December 19th, 2008, 06:02
One of the KM B24's is a lot better than all the rest, I think it is called "Hail Columbia", because it has a perfect flight model. In addition it comes with a high frame rate AI model. As I recall the older KM's were too slow to take off and too fast in the air. And Hail Columbia is the only B24 I have that doesn't have a flat nose strut.

Jimski

I use that model in "Operation Tidal Wave." With the 800-gallon "Tokyo tank," you can fly from Benghazi, Libya to Ploesti, Romania and back without refueling and careful fuel management, as long as you don't warp. :d

Rami
December 19th, 2008, 06:08
Here's a couple more...

Pstrany's Lockheed Hudson
Pcmceg's Savoia-Marchetti Sm-81 Pipistrello
K. Malinowski's Junkers Ju-188

Devildog73
December 19th, 2008, 17:40
I love flying that big old flying wing at about 5000 feet at night with unlimited ammo on....just flying along in external view dropping tons and tons and tons of bombs and watching the explosions below me.

Tim, dude, we gotta talk Buddy!:costumes:

Buddha13
December 20th, 2008, 08:18
Hi all,
Do not forget my Lancaster/Whitley/Manchester/Stirling conversions.
Plus JD Tindals excelent conversion of the HP Hampden from Ted Cooke.Done with help from Peperer,Morton and myself.

Buddha13

Jagdflieger
December 20th, 2008, 09:12
Yes, more good choices Buddha. Rest assured, that they labor mightily as we speak.

Hals und Bein Bruch
December 20th, 2008, 23:25
...gotta love British four-engined bombers...!:male:

Jagdflieger
December 21st, 2008, 06:51
Top 10 Bombers is on Tuesday evening on the Military Channel here in the USA. I'm sure the Lancaster and possibly the Vulcan will be included.