PDA

View Full Version : Team SDB USS Enterprise.

Mickey D
January 16th, 2012, 14:18
Thought I'd start a new thread since we seem to have hijacked David's. Sorry David.

To answer Wily's query: I'll have to ask Sylvain what the glide slope is. I'll get back on it.

Delta_Lima: A 60s and 70s package is planned for release later c/w appropriate statics etc.. We're already discussing posibilities with Michael. But it will require a complete island rebuild and will depend on Sylvain's building schedule so we can't commit to a release date.

Navy Chief
January 16th, 2012, 14:34
Thought I'd start a new thread since we seem to have hijacked David's. Sorry David.

To answer Wily's query: I'll have to ask Sylvain what the glide slope is. I'll get back on it.

Delta_Lima: A 60s and 70s package is planned for release later c/w appropriate statics etc.. We're already discussing posibilities with Michael. But it will require a complete island rebuild and will depend on Sylvain's building schedule so we can't commit to a release date.

I am looking forward to the release of this (assuming it is scenery, correct?)

Pete

Mickey D
January 16th, 2012, 14:48
I am looking forward to the release of this (assuming it is scenery, correct?)

Pete

It's an AI ship so yes but moving.

PRB
January 16th, 2012, 14:50
There was some discussion in the other thread about grey planes vs. colorful ones. Here's some pics I took on Enterprise on the 1983 deployment. All the planes were the "old style" paints, so it would not be inaccurate to depict the air group as such. By the 1984 cruise, most of the planes were grey, but there were a few holdouts, the H-3s and E-2s among them.

airattackimages
January 16th, 2012, 14:58
I had never heard of this. Sounds exciting! So it'll use AI carriers?

Victory103
January 16th, 2012, 21:23
I hope it works with AI Carriers, did my 1st cruise on Big "E" in the mid-90's.

fsafranek
January 16th, 2012, 21:48
It absolutely works with Lamont Clark's AI Carriers. That's how I check my progress on the aircraft textures.

We're doing two sets of textures. The first is the gray over white scheme based on the 1982-83 cruise. Check Vons Ad (https://www.ladysavings.com/publix-weekly-ad/?vons/) and Jewel-Osco Ad (https://www.ladysavings.com/publix-weekly-ad/?jewel-osco/). Very similar to PRB's images above. The second set is the overall gray scheme worn during the 1989-90 cruise.
:ernae:

GregG
January 16th, 2012, 22:15
That's fantastic news! Any sneak-previews please? :jump:

wilycoyote4
January 16th, 2012, 23:21
thanks
A tech question----is the glideslope 4 degrees or 3.5 degrees?

GregG ----
WIP screens -----
http://www.flightsim.com/main/notams12/sdb0103.htm

expat
January 17th, 2012, 01:21
A most welcome development! With Sylvain and others working on it and based on the screenies it indeed looks to be of Clemenceau/Javier Nimitz qualitiy.

I hope it comes with both fixed and moving ships. I, for one, have been using the AS FS9 Big E scenery in FSX from the very beginning with no issues. In particular, the one I have at Yankee Station supports a diverse SEA AI environment that integrates nicely with the Viet Nam Project scenery and AI. Can't do any of that on a moving CV, but I also do much carrier ops via AI Carriers2 and also carrier tracks.

My own preference is very much for the older "grey over white" era (to use all those Alphasim Phantoms, Skywarriors,Viggies, Crusaders, etc). There still is a very wide gap for a Nam-era Midway/Independence/Kitty Hawk/Angled Essex carrier, however, this goes some way towards filling it.

Look forward to its release.

robertorizzo
January 17th, 2012, 03:22
Anxiously waiting, offering as alpha beta gamma even omega tester.

sparouty
January 17th, 2012, 03:47
thanks
A tech question----is the glideslope 4 degrees or 3.5 degrees?

GregG ----
WIP screens -----
http://www.flightsim.com/main/notams12/sdb0103.htm

Hello,
A quick answer: the FLOLS system used is the FSX Acceleration feature, so you'll have exactly the same lights effects and glideslope with the BigE than FSX's carrier or Javier's Nimitz... But I can't tell you if it's 3.5 or 4 degrees... I guess FSX set it at 4 degrees but I'm not sure...

regards,
Sylvain

delta_lima
January 17th, 2012, 11:22

Hello MD,

Thanks for the update (and own thread). Thanks too for acknowledging my comments in the other thread. My notoriety precedes me, I see .. :icon_lol: Yes, These projects are tricky, and even though as PRB points out, there are transitionary periods, you more or less have to pick an enduring period and run with it. I suspect that us folks who like the retro stuff are in somewhat of a minority, so commerically I get that it may make more sense to tilt toward the newer period. I'm thankful for whatever comes out. That's also why I'm so fond of Flying Stations' Ark and Sylvain's 70s Foch ... :applause:

Speaking of Sylvain, what's he doing building more boats ... that Crusader he's promised is not going to build itself...:icon_lol:

All in good fun - thanks for the news, will watch it with great anticipation. Bravo!:guinness:

DL

Mickey D
January 17th, 2012, 14:53
Speaking of Sylvain, what's he doing building more boats ... that Crusader he's promised is not going to build itself...:icon_lol:
DL Shhhhh! not so loud. With the excitment of working on Big E we'd hoped it he'd put it on the back burner 'til he's finished the early version. :icon_lol:

delta_lima
January 17th, 2012, 16:01
Shhhhh! not so loud. With the excitment of working on Big E we'd hoped it he'd put it on the back burner 'til he's finished the early version. :icon_lol:

The F-8 first flew first in 1955. The E first sailed in 1960. Just saying' .... :running:

:icon_lol:

I'll be happy with whichever, whenever. I've made do quite nicely flying the Skyray and Crusader off the Nimitz ... even off a 1970's Enterprise, it's a step in the right direction.

DL

fsafranek
January 26th, 2012, 14:34
Having a lot of fun researching and working on this project I thought I'd post some WIP shots.
Sylvain has done so much to this that it is moving further away from the original FS9 with each update.

The aircraft textures are all gray on white for the early 80's version. The units we have
on board are A-7's in VA-22 and VA-94 colors, F-14's in VF-114 and VF-213 colors,
A-6 in a pretty low key VA-95 scheme, S-3 in VS-37 colors, and SH-3 in HS-6 colors.

Navy Chief
January 26th, 2012, 15:15
Wow!!!

That looks literally like the real thing!

Navy Chief

crashaz
January 26th, 2012, 15:40
Awesome work indeed! Doing a great job of representing our Navy eh Chief? :salute:

PRB
January 26th, 2012, 15:53
Nice! That looks great. Have to park that sucker in Subic Bay on go on liberty! After some CQ landings, of course!

strykerpsg
January 26th, 2012, 21:08
Absolutely nothing I can post can be stronger than what's already been posted. I am stunned at the amount of detail placed on her, simply superb. Looking forward to flying the multitude of naval birds available now and upcoming.

Matt

TARPSBird
January 26th, 2012, 22:35
Nice! That looks great. Have to park that sucker in Subic Bay on go on liberty! After some CQ landings, of course!
See ya out in town later. I'll be at the Oro Club, or upstairs in the Zanzibar! :icon_lol:

PRB
January 27th, 2012, 14:35
See ya out in town later. I'll be at the Oro Club, or upstairs in the Zanzibar! :icon_lol:

Rgr that Tarps! I'll be out to some place at the end of Gordon street. They have (had) the best tacos and the coldest San Miguels in the whole city. Dang this project is getting me all nostalgic and stuff. Here's another cool pic from the 1982 cruise. Notice there are two of the ugly flat gray painted A-7s parked out there. It had already begun! A flight deck full of SLUFs, don't get no better!

sketchy
January 27th, 2012, 16:45
Looks great guys, I loved this Ship from the Alphasim offering, I am looking forward to it moving in FSX. Keep up the great work.

Is this going to be free or payware?

TARPSBird
January 27th, 2012, 22:50
Rgr that Tarps! I'll be out to some place at the end of Gordon street. They have (had) the best tacos and the coldest San Miguels in the whole city. Dang this project is getting me all nostalgic and stuff. Here's another cool pic from the 1982 cruise. Notice there are two of the ugly flat gray painted A-7s parked out there. It had already begun! A flight deck full of SLUFs, don't get no better!

Nice pic - looks like a deck re-spot in progress.
There used to be a bar called Mom's Club on Rizal Ave. that had tacos as their specialty. Figure by the time you bar-hopped your way up the main drag and were on Rizal, you needed something to eat. We used to joke about the conspicuous absence of cats in the neighborhood around Mom's. That may have been the Navy's original don't-ask-don't-tell policy: Don't ask what kind of meat is in Mom's tacos, and they won't tell you. :icon_lol:

robertorizzo
January 28th, 2012, 00:25

This is a good question.

And, if payware, how is it going to work with Javier's FREE aicarrier?

Mickey D
January 28th, 2012, 04:20
Looks great guys, I loved this Ship from the Alphasim offering, I am looking forward to it moving in FSX. Keep up the great work.

It will be Payware Sketchy price to be decided. But rest assured it won't break your piggy bank.

robertorizzo: Why would it NOT work with Javier's Freeware Nimitz? Yes it should do. :)

ZsoltB
January 28th, 2012, 05:10
When will it be in the shops?

Mickey D
January 28th, 2012, 10:00
When will it be in the shops?

Simple Question. Simple answer. When it's ready. :)

ZsoltB
January 28th, 2012, 11:54

It really was a simple answer!
Thanks for the comprehensive info!

fsafranek
January 28th, 2012, 11:55
Originally we were figuring by the end of last year. But now it will for sure (fingers crossed) be by first quarter 2012 if not sooner. Initially we thought it was going to be basically the original Alphasim FS9 version with all the hinderances to a good FSX experience corrected. But thanks to Sylvain's passion for naval aviation and ships it has gone far far beyond that. At the rate things are being improved and enhanced it will be the same as the original in name only. For FS9 users we are fixing that version to include the enhancemets that Robert Baum (AI guru for the original) made for it but that weren't released by Alphasim.

And PRB, there are seven A-7's on the the deck in a mix from VA-22 and VA-94. All are gray over white scheme for the early 80's version and low-vis for the later version. Thanks also for those images you've supplied.

PRB
January 28th, 2012, 15:14
Glad to be able to help, in a teeny tiny way. Looking forward to the release!

strykerpsg
January 28th, 2012, 15:22
This will be a fantastic addition to the upcoming Razbam Buckeye, which must be very close based on all the feedback from last week. Anyway, in case I missed it, does the carrier offer period specific AI aircraft/helo's? In other words, can you pick a 70's based carrier with warbirds from that era? If not, not a deal breaker for me.

Matt

Mickey D
January 29th, 2012, 04:36
This will be a fantastic addition to the upcoming Razbam Buckeye, which must be very close based on all the feedback from last week. Anyway, in case I missed it, does the carrier offer period specific AI aircraft/helo's? In other words, can you pick a 70's based carrier with warbirds from that era? If not, not a deal breaker for me.

Matt

The aircraft you see in the screenshots are modelled into the carrier and can't be removed or replaced by the
user. That's the only way it can be done on an AI ship so they "move" with the ship. AI aircraft can't be
made to work with a moving carrier. They require an airport facility file, a so called AFCAD, which remains
stationary. Any "AI" that you may have seen with a moving carrier are in fact dynamic objects which may
becompiled into the carrier.
This first release represents the two post-refit cruises of the 1980s. The one you are interested in, the
pre-79 refit Enterprise is physically and visually a different beast and is planned as the subject of a
future release.

fsafranek
January 29th, 2012, 07:26

Matt
First off, glad that's not a deal breaker. Usually those posts are meant to be negative.

When we first started this project one of the questions was what era would be represented. The decision to go between 1982 and 1997 was influenced by two things -- 1) during a 1979-1982 refit the roof was changed to the type we have now and 2) the A-6 Intruder we have as one of the statics left service in 1997. We've since learned even more about the Enterprise's cruises and that has narrowed the range a bit to the earlier 1990s.

The FS9 version still has the three static aircraft deck layouts like the original Alphasim version did -- launch, recovery, and dual-purpose. Since they are changed by moving files around there is also a clean deck option. On that clean deck you can place whatever aircraft you want from any era. As long as you don't look at the roof of the island it won't matter.

As Mickey D mentioned, since the FSX version is a moving carrier we must fix the static aircraft in place and so we are configuring it to represent the Enterprise in the early 1980s and in the early 1990s. These decisions are based the static aircraft made available to us to use. You can of course launch and land any aircraft on her.

As mentioned in the opening post of this thread we have always had in mind changing the roof design to represent the original very distinctive beehive version that was in place up to the late 1970's -- we've collected the necessary static aircraft to represent the 1960's through the late 1970s. In order to go forward with this second release (I hope we do) there are several people involved with other interests and we all need to agree that it is worthwhile to put a few more months into it. So the successful acceptence of the first release will determine how that goes.

Victory103
January 29th, 2012, 21:29
Great to hear of the periods covered, I cruised on Big "E" in '96, as mentioned the last Intruder cruise (VA-75 Sunday Punchers). Sorry I don't have any pics scanned yet of that cruise but I can help with research if required, I own the "Cruise Book" as well.

Navy Chief
January 30th, 2012, 06:12
Awesome work indeed! Doing a great job of representing our Navy eh Chief? :salute:

A most remarkable job. Incredible is the word to describe it. Having lived and worked on carriers of that time period...well, it really brings back memories.

Pete

empeck
January 30th, 2012, 07:41
Beautiful work guys!

Can't wait.

VCN-1
January 30th, 2012, 09:27
Looks fantastic.

You simply can't enough carriers.

Looking forward to the release.

It is now on my must purchase list.

VCN-1

expat
January 30th, 2012, 17:42
Wonderful work and will be an early buyer. Kudos to all involved.

There is still a real need for a e.g. Forestall or angled deck Essex class cv for FSX

strykerpsg
January 30th, 2012, 23:08
So, gonna spam this everyday until release now that I have the Buckeye and Kestrel to fly off of her.....kidding, about the daily spamming, just every other day. Have an approximate ETA?

BTW, I would buy all the variants of era's you make available, as it would also go great with the VRS Superhornet and Dino's upcoming F-35C.

Matt

fsafranek
January 31st, 2012, 22:35
Speaking of the Buckeye, Bill (Wings of Gold) Mackay sent an image over
flying the new Razbam release out to the Big-E during testing.

robertorizzo
February 1st, 2012, 03:09
I've never been so anxious as in these last days since this topic has been opened.

Willy
February 11th, 2012, 19:14
For the T-2 Buckeye, you really need the USS Lexington (CVT-16), the last of the Essex class in commission and the Navy's training carrier from 1962 until the early 90s. We mostly flew the T-2s and TA-4s on the Lex. Sometimes we'd get A-6s & A-7s from squadrons whose carrier was unavailable and had pilots needing to requal on carrier landings.

Mickey D
February 13th, 2012, 14:16
By way of a Work in Progress report I thought I'd upload this pic of the recent island remodelling. Some pretty cool 3D work there.

PRB
February 14th, 2012, 08:39
Wow, that looks great!

Roger
February 14th, 2012, 10:35
Doesn't it just:applause:

Ian Warren
February 14th, 2012, 11:59
That is looking spondully :salute:

fsafranek
February 15th, 2012, 08:18
By way of a Work in Progress report I thought I'd upload this pic of the recent island remodelling. Some pretty cool 3D work there.
From Sylvain's email...

some news from the shipyard:
I added tubes, beamers, doors, lights, etc...
I also redid the TV bridge and antennas, and I had to rework windows and bridges too...
There are still a few details to be added (nothing very complex/long to
do) so 3D model of the island will be finished very soon. As the rendering engine is on, the screenshot shows some very nice light/shadow effects, but don't be surprised, the textures are not shown (that's why fences are seen as solid planes...) I have to rework the Island texture and "bake" some shadows in order to make 3D details more visible...
With each update we move further and further away from the original FS9 Alphasim verision (will definitely be made available again for FS9 folks).

Ian Warren
February 15th, 2012, 14:00
A thought , is this going to be a drivable carrier as well , make some interesting screens when you have the option in a Multiplay as a CAG or even different camera views being part of the crew with a camera . :kilroy:

Mickey D
February 20th, 2012, 03:51
A "driveable" version is not in the current plans. We need to keep the price within people's budgets, times are hard. But you never know. In the meantime have just recieved the latest update. To me it plainly states " I am not an FS9 portover". I think we're cooking wi' gas now.

michael davies
February 22nd, 2012, 00:03
Driveable is easy, just rip the cfg and associated files from my free WWII Essex and add to your carrier, then drop in some camera views, say for, on top of the bridge and then you can drive it, waste of time trying to build a bridge as a VC (no one ever uses them), just use outside camera views, who wants to sit inside and miss all the fun outside :). I was lucky as the Essex has an outside bridge, but you can use any point you like, easy to set the thing off, change camera view to vultures row and watch others land and take off.

Regards Michael

fsafranek
February 22nd, 2012, 15:37
Driveable is easy, just rip the cfg and associated files from my free WWII Essex and add to your carrier, then drop in some camera views, say for, on top of the bridge and then you can drive it, waste of time trying to build a bridge as a VC (no one ever uses them), just use outside camera views, who wants to sit inside and miss all the fun outside :). I was lucky as the Essex has an outside bridge, but you can use any point you like, easy to set the thing off, change camera view to vultures row and watch others land and take off.

Regards Michael
Thanks for the tip Michael. There you go folks, you want a drivable version apply the above. We will not be including a full-on VC. If it is possible to include some camera views for a static or moving version we will to show off Sylvain's handywork and some views of the parked aircraft (Michael's included).

We have too many other plans for this ship -- early version of the island roof is on top of my wish list.

mjrhealth
March 3rd, 2012, 01:30
One thing I do hope for is that the FLOLS system will be viewable from a distance, its the only let down on the Ike nimitz package, the RFN guys seemed to get it right with there last update on the Charles de Gaule.

centuryseries
March 3rd, 2012, 06:27
Looks great Mickey, Frank and Sylvain.

Really leaps and bounds ahead. :icon29:

Ian Warren
March 3rd, 2012, 13:58
The Island/Bridge ... PRETTY ! .. Mister YO Tom Cruise move over for this Century :icon_lol: Looking superb !

fsafranek
April 5th, 2012, 18:32
Much work has been done on the island and Sylvain
has started to populate the deck with crewman.

62483 62484

62485 62486

62487 62488

mfitch
April 5th, 2012, 19:58
This looks great.

Bomber_12th
April 5th, 2012, 20:28
I love all of the tremendous amount of detail (it really takes on the look of an entire airport at sea)! Excellent work!

strykerpsg
April 5th, 2012, 20:43
Wow! Absolutely fantastic detail. I always thought carriers were so cool and envied the sailor/marines flying off of them. I just couldn't handle being at sea for 6 or more months at a time.

For the record, this is payware, correct?

mjrhealth
April 5th, 2012, 23:23
I do hope you get the Landing light system right. Its no fun trying to land when you cant see the lights.

fsafranek
April 6th, 2012, 09:08
Wow! Absolutely fantastic detail. I always thought carriers were so cool and envied the sailor/marines flying off of them. I just couldn't handle being at sea for 6 or more months at a time.

For the record, this is payware, correct?
Yes, it will be payware. Planned follow-on will be the original island design with the beehive roof antenna array and appropriate deck decorations for Vietnam era action and 1970's F-14 cruises.

fsafranek
April 6th, 2012, 09:13
I do hope you get the Landing light system right. Its no fun trying to land when you cant see the lights.
Whatever the problem with it is has anybody gotten it right? That would be helpful to know.
We're certainly open for discussion with them.

Ian Warren
April 6th, 2012, 12:14
Now with this lovely lookin ship , how are the bow wave and ocean effects , are they going to be adjusted to suit this hundred thousand tonner push the the oceans aside - make it a more dramatic on her bows and along the hull .
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

mjrhealth
April 6th, 2012, 13:03
The guys from RFN ( royal french navy ) did, They created there own version with the last Foc and Clemencau ver 3, give it a try they may help. The IFLOLS certainly can be seeing a lot further out then any other.

fsafranek
April 7th, 2012, 10:18
The guys from RFN ( royal french navy ) did, They created there own version with the last Foc and Clemencau ver 3, give it a try they may help. The IFLOLS certainly can be seeing a lot further out then any other.
The "guys from RFN" as very involved with this project. Extremely involved in fact. Sylvain Parouty is the main modeler.

I know what you mean about the "ball" on the latest Clem being very visible. In fact from a distance it sometimes appears to be half as wide as the deck which in reality it isn't of course. You can watch it resize itself as you approach. I would have to look at the emails going back and forth among the team to see if we decided against that one or not. Don't recall just now. If Sylvain spots this perhaps he can explain which way we're going?

Navy Chief
April 13th, 2012, 03:33
How is this project coming along ?

SDB's forum is at http://www.sky-sim.co.uk/forums/index.php correct? Doesn't appear like it has been visited for a while. No longer used?

Thanks.

NC

Mickey D
April 17th, 2012, 09:15
How is this project coming along ?

SDB's forum is at http://www.sky-sim.co.uk/forums/index.php correct? Doesn't appear like it has been visited for a while. No longer used?

Thanks.

NC

Correct Navy Chief we are no longer associated with Skysim and haven't been for 2 or 3 years now. We have a support forum here http://www.glowingheat.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=8&sid=8c21c5a3949650a4866dd8fc9e360077
and Frank and I try to look in as often as real world time allows.

fsafranek
April 17th, 2012, 22:17
Been doing some cat shot tests this past week for the manual.
Bill Mackey (Wings of Gold) sent over this image he snapped.

fsafranek
April 17th, 2012, 22:23
Some trapping tests as well. Another shot from Bill.
AI Robison escort and Seaking plane guard helo are also in view.

Navy Chief
April 18th, 2012, 04:11
I am really looking forward to this. It's literally been almost two years since I was active in FSX. Oh, I download addons, and follow the posts on this site; but it's carrier ops that interest me the most. This will be awesome!

Go NAVAIR!

NC

OleBoy
April 18th, 2012, 04:58
I've read through the project several times and what I'm seeing is amazing. I've never been on a carrier, but seeing the details on that flight deck appear very realistic for simulation!
Love the details! :salute:

Navy Chief
April 18th, 2012, 05:38
I've read through the project several times and what I'm seeing is amazing. I've never been on a carrier, but seeing the details on that flight deck appear very realistic for simulation!
Love the details! :salute:

Haven't had the pleasure of beta testing this project. But I can only imagine how great it will be. Having been on several deployments onboard the Indy and the Sara, I can testify (just from the screenshots) that this is a very detailed carrier. The only things missing will be the intense heat from the jet exhausts, and the danger from being run over or sucked down an intake!

That's the beauty of flight simulation. In one's mind, it feels REAL! But unlike the real-life danger onboard a carrier flight deck.....you can pause it, and come back later! And no one gets hurt.

This sort of thing lets me "relive" memories from the past.

NC

PRB
April 18th, 2012, 05:50
That's looking really nice. Can't wait!

- Paul

robertorizzo
June 23rd, 2012, 07:55
The first quarter of the year has passed and almost the second one too.

Ian Warren
June 23rd, 2012, 14:02
Hmmm :cool: all i can say is MULTIPLAY :salute: ... Skywarriers to Skyhawks :cool:<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Mickey D
July 13th, 2012, 02:10
Just a line to update. The Enterprise is now in the final stages of Beta testing and we're hoping for a release within 2 weeks.

Ian Warren
July 13th, 2012, 02:47
Superb :cool: Let just hope you put this ship into New Zealand waters .. even a cycle around a well known coast :cool:<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Mickey D
July 13th, 2012, 14:31
Superb :cool: Let just hope you put this ship into New Zealand waters .. even a cycle around a well known coast :cool:<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input id="jsProxy" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" type="hidden" jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()">

Hmm. Darwin do you? If not you can use AI Carriers to place it wherever you want. :cool:

TeaSea
July 13th, 2012, 15:07
Back in the real world, CVN 65 has chopped this week out of 5th fleet for her cruise home to be decommissioned.

We have several former crew making reservations for the debauchery that will undoubtedly accompany the event....lot's of crying, lots of emotion, lots of alcohol, lot's of loose women.....

Can you get that in this sim?:jump:

TARPSBird
July 13th, 2012, 15:38
Let's go back to the part about alcohol and loose women. :icon_lol:
Joking aside, I'm really looking forward to the SDB "Big E", the detail in the screenshots is awesome.

PRB
July 13th, 2012, 16:04
The BIG-E, Perth Australia, January 1983. If I recall, there was some alcohol and loose women involved, to some degree, during the port visit in which these photos were taken. My memory is a liitle fuzzy on that one though, hehe... Can't wait for this one!

expat
July 14th, 2012, 00:50
Let just hope you put this ship into New Zealand waters .. even a cycle around a well known coast

On the subject of location, NOTHING would make me happier than having a carrier track for the new "E" on Yankee Station near Vietnam.

Mickey D
July 14th, 2012, 02:03
Big 'E' will have to go back into drydock for that. ;)

wilycoyote4
July 14th, 2012, 13:10
Ahhhhh, are there screenys of deck layouts? Or has that already been done and I'm asleep in class?

Ian Warren
July 14th, 2012, 15:09
You gotta love these ships , aircraft-carrier's ... Idea for a new TV .. The Love Boat - soon will be making another run :salute:....... done before aye :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

fsafranek
July 14th, 2012, 16:31
Ahhhhh, are there screenys of deck layouts? Or has that already been done and I'm asleep in class?
Over here: http://www.facebook.com/TeamSDB.scenery/photos
The images have been updated as the work continues.

fsafranek
July 14th, 2012, 16:42
Also, latest "short list" of features from the user manual.

• Two configurations representing an early 1980s cruise (1982-1983) and a late 1980s cruise (1989-1990) with unique carrier details and carrier/aircraft textures for each
• Empty deck versions of both early 80s and late 80s
• Full FSX Acceleration carrier operations compatibility
• Optional advanced FLOLS system with settable glide slope and audible LSO
• Optional Advanced launch trigger and realistic launch speed tailored to individual aircraft
• Aircraft servicing vehicles, fire trucks, and deck crew figures with animated "shooter"
• Night operations lighting including sequenced flashing centerline "rabbit" lights
• New and updated static aircraft on deck (A-7 Corsair II, A-6 Intruder, F-14 Tomcat, S-3 Viking, and SH-3 Sea King)
• Sea King plane guard helicopter flying alongside (courtesy of Michael Davies)
• "Adams" Class guided missile destroyer escort (courtesy of Earl Watkins)
• Framerates are vastly improved for FSX
• 16 moving carrier tracks (eight locations for each "era")
• Flight files for easy carrier locating

A hoped for follow-on version is the 60s - 70s with the beehive roof array and
appropriate aircraft for each decade. But this one has taken a long time and
everyone involved has a lot of projects that have been put on hold that they
want to work on for awhile.

Navy Chief
July 14th, 2012, 16:47
GO NAVAIR!!!

Start'em up, launch all jets!!!

NC

Roadburner440
July 14th, 2012, 17:01
GO NAVAIR!!!

NC

Don't forget to launch the heli's first Chief. Go Navy! Look forward to seeing this project finish. Is sad to see the E on her last deployment. Was fortunate to see it pull out a few weeks ago though. Carrier's are just massive.

heywooood
July 14th, 2012, 17:37
it seems to be quite close to deployment....

Enterprise looks very impressive - Team SDB, nice work !

Ian Warren
July 14th, 2012, 20:46
Hmm. Darwin do you? If not you can use AI Carriers to place it wherever you want. :cool:

Darwin is sorta a little out off the way ... love to see a big nuke carrier in Wellington Harbour just to whined the politic duffers up ! :salute:

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

MDIvey
July 15th, 2012, 01:43
it would be great to see some repaints of the Razbam A7 to suit those on the deck... particularly like the High viz version of VA-22... any plans along those lines Frank?

Matt

FSX68
July 15th, 2012, 04:08
GO NAVAIR!!!

NC

Uh Hummmm....Before any of that you hafta have the air boss (the emperor of the flight deck) screaming at you on the 5MC "FOD WALKDOWN" check all pad eyes for fod.

We would get a brief weather report including the altimeter (two niner niner five") and how far to Da Nang "Bingo field". Then it's , "Start the props, Start the jets."
(At least for us Tonkin Gulf yacht club members) :icon_lol::icon_lol:

Navy Chief
July 15th, 2012, 04:17
it would be great to see some repaints of the Razbam A7 to suit those on the deck... particularly like the High viz version of VA-22... any plans along those lines Frank?

Matt

Now you're talking!

GO SLUFS...

NC

fsafranek
July 15th, 2012, 08:10

Matt
I might if my wish list of things to do wasn't twice as long as my arm. I did change the textures of the VA-22 aircraft included on the ship after a lot of research.

Warhawk1130 did a few when we first started posting pics of the Big E project.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?64042-RAZBAM-A-7E-Repaints

Not of VA-22 but Bruce448 also did some very nice A-7s here:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?42077-RAZBAM-A-7E-Corsair-II-repaints

wilycoyote4
July 15th, 2012, 11:36
"Optional advanced FLOLS system with settable glide slope and audible LSO"

What are the glide slope choices, please? I guess 4 degrees and 3 and 1/2 degrees?

mjrhealth
July 15th, 2012, 13:30
I believe the GS is fixed in FSX and cannot be changed, i am sure there was a previous discussion on it. A for a LSO.

there is already one available, it needs to be tweaked for each carrier and plane i am sure they will add this carrier to the list when it is released.

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=4915.0

Also has the sludge Hornet, a slightly modified version of the default. Youll have lots of fun trying to get that 3rd wire with the LSO , works with default F18, Dinos T45, and the sludge hornet.

PRB
July 15th, 2012, 13:48

Matt

Warhawk1130 made both a "low viz" and "high viz" VA-22 repaint for the RAZBAM A-7E. He also made a low viz VA-94 paint, to go along with the high viz one that comes with the default package. The "early 1980s" configuration would have featured both low and high viz versions of each, but 90% would have been the high viz.

- Paul

MDIvey
July 16th, 2012, 01:24
Thanks... they look good... where can they be found please?

Matt

Warhawk1130
July 16th, 2012, 03:06
Thanks... they look good... where can they be found please?

Matt

Some can be found here, most have been given to razbam but the paintshop has still not opened. I will have to get them all up here...give me a few weeks to organize.

Dino Cattaneo
July 16th, 2012, 03:47
This new carrier looks fantastic. Can't wait to fly my new Tomcat (WIP) from its deck...

MDIvey
July 16th, 2012, 05:25
We're Looking Forward to it too Dino!

Thanks Warhawk... I'll keep an eye out for them.

Matt

Mickey D
July 16th, 2012, 11:11
"Optional advanced FLOLS system with settable glide slope and audible LSO"

What are the glide slope choices, please? I guess 4 degrees and 3 and 1/2 degrees?

I'm not the expert in this dept. but 3.5 deg. is certainly one of the options. That ought to make many happy :jump:

wilycoyote4
July 16th, 2012, 11:40
Thanks Mickey D

Ian Warren
July 16th, 2012, 15:00
I no its Nuclear(PC) Powered :icon_lol: , but how long is before its berthed or even anchored off shore ..... my case years ago was a 12 mile limit .... think today its 200 miles :wavey: , starting to become the itchy and scratchy show .... seems we all have the airgroup to bring on board :mix-smi:<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

TARPSBird
July 17th, 2012, 07:31
Regarding glide slopes for various carriers, here are a few comments from former
F-8 Crusader drivers that some folks may want to file away:

"The 27C boats used a 4.0 degree basic angle for glide slope. This
yielded a 10.8 ft. hook to ramp clearance for all aircraft. The larger
boats, CV-63 and subsequent, used a 3.5 degree basic angle that
yielded a 14.5 ft. hook to ramp for all aircraft types. Believe the
Forrestal class used a 3.5 degree glide slope with about a 12 foot
hook to ramp clearance. Not sure about the Midway class. Hook to eye
values for the different aircraft were adjusted for by changing lens
roll angle. The effective glide slope is a factor of wind over the
deck. For example, on the 27C, with zero wind over the deck, the
effective glide slope was 4 degrees, while with 25 knots of wind over
the deck, the effective glide slope was 3.75 degrees. With high wind
over deck, say 40 knots or more, I used 4.0 degrees on the larger
boats to yield an effective glide slope similar to that experienced
with 25 to 30 knots of wind."

-Jim Matheny

"The 27C's (Shang for me) used a 4 degree slope to get the hook to ramp
clearance up to (thought it was 9.8' on centerline, on speed, headed
for a target 3 wire). The big boats, including Coral Sea and Midway
used a 3.5 degree slope and still had good hook to ramp while bringing
the power up a bit for safety. When the wind was high the big boats went
to a 4 degree slope because the power was up and the higher slope got
you above the burble a bit. No, I was not an LSO but I studied it a
lot and was later an Air Boss."

-Will Gray

"The Midway glide slope was set at 3.5 or 3.25 for F-8 recoveries to snatch the #3 wire, which gave you a ten foot hook to ramp clearance on a perfect pass. The only 4 degree glide slope I ever used was for the A3D while a deck was a little unsteady which was most of the time."

-Ace Jewell

robertorizzo
July 17th, 2012, 10:22
Any chance to have vLSO working on Big E?
Has been taken any contact with fsdreamteam group?

sparouty
July 17th, 2012, 12:39
Any chance to have vLSO working on Big E?
Has been taken any contact with fsdreamteam group?

I don't see any reason why vLSO should not work, I guess it can work with any carrier?

Regarding the glideslope angle, the default models are using the Acceleration mirror so, by default, the glideslope angle is 4 degrees.
But, the optional models included use an advanced FLOLS system : the meatball is steered by a gauge which read the glide slope angle in a xml file.
So you can define the angle of your choice...

regards,
Sylvain

simulloyd
July 17th, 2012, 16:45
Seriously looking forward to this one. If I had the skills and time I would give a shot at developing some of the older carriers, Forrestal and Kittyhawk class.

Until then I will make donations!

Ian Warren
July 17th, 2012, 17:10
Seriously looking forward to this one. If I had the skills and time I would give a shot at developing some of the older carriers, Forrestal and Kittyhawk class.

End of the day , the Forrestal and Kittyhawk are so similar to the Mister 'E' ... id step back further , the Midway class :cool: <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Navy Chief
July 18th, 2012, 10:56
End of the day , the Forrestal and Kittyhawk are so similar to the Mister 'E' ... id step back further , the Midway class :cool: <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

I am just thrilled to be able to (soon) have a carrier with static Corsair II's on it!!!!

NC

Ian Warren
July 18th, 2012, 15:07
I am just thrilled to be able to (soon) have a carrier with static Corsair II's on it!!!!

Indeed , Be also good to see the Phantom as well if that is to be done , not sure ;)

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Warhawk1130
July 18th, 2012, 18:32

NC

And I would be equally thrilled to see you in one on a club flight, Pete.......;P

fsafranek
July 25th, 2012, 09:40
Indeed , Be also good to see the Phantom as well if that is to be done , not sure ;)

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
F-4s and A-4s are planned for the backdate rework with the beehive roof. How well received this 80s version is will determine how quickly we get on that one. Plus everyone involved has a few items they had put to the side that need attention first.

In the meantime, the final packages (FS9 and FSX) have been sent to the store.

Ian Warren
July 25th, 2012, 10:16
In the meantime, the final packages (FS9 and FSX) have been sent to the store.

Now just were is that store , Virtavia ?

hae5904
July 25th, 2012, 10:47
My guess.....Flightsim Pilot Shop :salute:

Cheers,
Hank

Mickey D
July 25th, 2012, 12:44
Now just were is that store , Virtavia ?

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input id="jsProxy" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" type="hidden" jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()">
VIRTAVIA? Erm..........no. ( Sharp intake of breath. No offence Phil) :) Pilot Shop it is.

Ian Warren
July 25th, 2012, 14:29
:salute: Obviously must be just beyond the horizon :icon_lol: Ooo Boy :cool:<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Sundog
July 25th, 2012, 16:12
Dang, I'm spending a lot of money this week. This is going to be fun!

Navy Chief
July 27th, 2012, 19:20
And I would be equally thrilled to see you in one on a club flight, Pete.......;P
I've been spending time with girlfriend, and not much of anything else! Maybe "soon!"

bruce448
July 29th, 2012, 15:44
Some Beta test shots

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/8185/2012729232414.jpg

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/9280/2012729232615463.jpg

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/1260/2012729232925373.jpg

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/4157/2012729233225568.jpg

Bruce

Ian Warren
July 29th, 2012, 16:02
Spot on Bruce , like the Charles F Adams escort and Seaking plane guard :salute:<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

PRB
July 29th, 2012, 17:04
Spot on indeed! Dang, I love this stuff. Oh, here are some pics of the “other” ships in the CVN-65 Battle Group during the 1982-83 deployment, shot from deck of CVN. USS Waddell (DDG-24), Charles F. Adams class, USS Hull (DD-945), Forrest Sherman class, USS Reasoner (FF-1063), Knox class. None of these ships survives today. Does this mean I'm old? What a bummer.

P.S. (ok, "** OT **") :)

Ian Warren
July 29th, 2012, 17:40
Does this mean I'm old? What a bummer.
:)
No it dose not mean your old , It just means we have longer memories :icon_lol:

Mid 80s a Knox class visited Lyttleton , Wobblyville (ex Christchurch) the USS Whipple (FF 1062) , had two capsule liferafts on the superstructure ... to this day i recall one comment :eek: those are nuclear depth charges :icon_lol: .... so mothers really do have em :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Mickey D
July 30th, 2012, 02:27
The files are with the publishers ( Pilot Shop ) and I'm guessing that so close to the month end Nathan will go for an August 1st release. By 'eck that's Yorkshire Day how appropriate. :jump:

Mickey D
July 30th, 2012, 06:35
OK the 12 months of waiting are over. :applause: The Enterprise is now available here http://www.fspilotshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=3807. Enjoy. Time for a :icon29:with all the team.

hae5904
July 30th, 2012, 06:53
Awesome news....heading to the store/shop :salute:

Cheers,
Hank

VCN-1
July 30th, 2012, 07:47
Does the release allow you to set up your own tracks as AI Carriers?

VCN-1

hae5904
July 30th, 2012, 08:02
Yes VCN-1 !

Cheers,
Hank

Bone
July 30th, 2012, 09:58
Ahh, the 1980's. Although it's painfull to re-watch the old 1980 's MTV videos, this model makes up for it.

http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af51/BonesFlightBag/2012-7-30_13-29-48-807.jpg

http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af51/BonesFlightBag/2012-7-30_13-37-32-836.jpg