PDA

View Full Version : Any of you guys using a SSD drive for FSX

hey_moe
January 16th, 2012, 03:59
I been looking at them but to me they aren't that big yet and are a little bit over priced but what else is new...lol. I know there are some in here that have converted over and I was wondering what ya thought of them and how much performance difference you saw.I am getting ready to do a build and I'm thinking of adding a few of these to my system..thanks, Mike

Roger
January 16th, 2012, 04:10
A lot do Mike and evidently with great success. When I eventually build my next puter it will have SSDs.

Navy Chief
January 16th, 2012, 05:41
Are they considerably more reliable than conventional HDs? And are they that much faster? Pete

JIMJAM
January 16th, 2012, 05:49
My FSX size is being reported at just over 50 gig! Add the os and msc other programs and I am barely able to squeeze in another average sized game. I am getting close to that time for another build but are there even ssd drives larger enough? I have tons of space on ext drives but being old school I always thought sims/games had to be on the os drives or really suffer a performance hit. If I could add a ssd and xfer it over I would do it today.

Emile
January 16th, 2012, 05:56
Hello,
I use a SSD for FSX but the Simobjects are on a SATA6 HD.
The SSD is 120Gb and 81 Gb are in use.

I am very happy, smooth, good FPS ...;)

Navy Chief
January 16th, 2012, 06:09
Hello,
I use a SSD for FSX but the Simobjects are on a SATA6 HD.
The SSD is 120Gb and 81 Gb are in use.

I am very happy, smooth, good FPS ...;)

Ok, I understand the FPS rate is smooth. Is there an increase in FPS? Pete

Navy Chief
January 16th, 2012, 06:15
Don't know if this is a reliable drive or not, but the price seems reasonable...

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2-5-Inch-Solid-State-CT128M4SSD2/dp/B004W2JKZI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1326726589&sr=1-1

fxsttcb
January 16th, 2012, 06:34
Ok, I understand the FPS rate is smooth. Is there an increase in FPS? PeteOn my old rig with a 128GB SSD, the reduction of texture loading stutters/microstutters, didn't really allow a real increase in FPS.
What it did, was let me run a tad more detail. Beyond that, with both Win 7 and FSX on the SSD my entire system is peppy.
That's on an old 3.1GHz AMD dually and SATA I mobo, so, a newer SATA III mobo and drive should really shine.

One extra note: 128GB ain't enough! My new build(IB?, SB-E?) is planned for a 512GB Samsung "830"...Don

Navy Chief
January 16th, 2012, 06:42
Something tells me that a SSD drive may be in my future...soon.

Pete

wombat666
January 16th, 2012, 06:58
Mike I'm running a pair of OCZ AGT3-25SAT3 240GB drives and a pair of WD 600GB Velociraptors.
OS on SSD No.1, FSX on SSD No.2, all other flights sims on Raptor No.1 and all my race sims on Raptor No.2.
No stutters or stammers and really, a 240GB drive at 70% full [absolute maximum] is plenty for my FSX needs.
It is a big plus to run an SSD under SATA 3 as well.
:applause:
And one point to remember, a 120GB SSD formatted leaves you 111GB of headspace, ergo my choice of the 240GB drives.

Bjoern
January 16th, 2012, 06:58
My 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 is big enough for both Windows and FSX. Loading times are very fast, although the difference isn't as prominent in FSX compared to a well defragmented, fast, conventional HDD.

res non verba
January 16th, 2012, 07:49
I have two corsair series 3 120gb ssd, one for the OS and the other for FSX, and i'm totally satisfied with the performance, very fast and without problems so far!

:ernae:

kilo delta
January 16th, 2012, 09:19
As has been mentioned above...SSD drives don't really aid FPS. They do help with minimising/preventing stutters and blurries due to the faster access times.
If you want more FPS you really need to overclock/upgrade your current CPU.

I've been running a pair of Samsung first gen 64gb SSD drives in my old sim pc since 2008. One houses the OS, the other FSX photoscenery.

hey_moe
January 16th, 2012, 10:37
I have two 150 gig 10,000 RPM, WD drives in Raid 0 for my main frame and two 150 gig 10,000 RPM in Raid 0 for FSX. On the FSX drive that is the only thing on that set up. I have no security,updates or anything else on that drive. The registry is tweaked to the max and all running services by MS has been shut down. I don't have a problem with stutters or delays. The start up is fast enough for me and the main frame setup is also fast for me too. The other three drives have Vista,XP Pro and the newest OS on those drives.I still like my set up and have been happy with it's performance so far. It's a few years old and there are so new toys that have come into the factor...the wife says I have a human computer virus in my head...I said so...lol. I don't have a problem with the price of those SSD drives....I have a problem with the size. One of the other reasons I want to build another one is I want to convert to USB 3, update to a faster processor and go to faster memory and video card. I mail Ickie the replacement parts so he can have something to play with...lol

joanvalley
January 16th, 2012, 10:45
I've got two Corsair 512 GB total SSDs running both OS and FSX, and it does nothing to FSX performance but the load times are considerably reduced, that is all, load times.

Jose.

hey_moe
January 16th, 2012, 14:06
I don't really have a problem with my load time. But it is disappointing to read what you guys have brought to my attention. I thought for sure I would have seen a nice increase in FSX....Waaaaa!!!! I still might pick up a couple of them just to keep up with the new stuff.
I've got two Corsair 512 GB total SSDs running both OS and FSX, and it does nothing to FSX performance but the load times are considerably reduced, that is all, load times.

Jose.

ronvking
January 16th, 2012, 14:59
I run my FSX on a OCZ 128G SSD. Most of my flying is in the UK with photoscenery and UK2000 airfields. No problems at all and the scenery loads without any hassle even when high speed and low level. I not expert but I wonder if the comments about little increases in FPS are simply down to the fact that if you are getting a faster rate then the computer and FSX are also working at a faster rate, its not just a case of running the graphics faster, it all has to be computed first and thats what takes the time.

Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Cheers Ron

scott967b
January 16th, 2012, 15:45
Also using a 128 for OS+FSX, but it's full so I need to do something. One thing to consider is disable hibernate as it creates a file on the boot drive as big as the amount of RAM you have installed. I love the fast OS boot and FSX startup times with SSD.

scott s.

wombat666
January 17th, 2012, 04:16
Mike,
I simply lock my frames at 60FPS and there they stay, even flying ORBX 'Tullamarine' [with a load of traffic] or ORBX 'Townsville' or 'Coffs Harbour' [loaded with scenery] they rarely drop off.
My Mobo is a great over-clocker, Gigabyte's X58A-OC, but my Graphic cards are due for replacement soon [Gigabyte GV-R697OC=2GD x 2 in Crossfire] and my trusty i7-960 @4.3GB is due for retirement as well.
I stand by my views on the SSD drives, the are an improvement over my Raptors, but I do believe that is because of their relationship with the Over-clocked hardware
At A$475.00 the sticker price is a bit solid but that is 'negotiable' in most cases.
:kilroy:

Felixthreeone
January 17th, 2012, 05:21
I am considering an SSD myself...but I have a LOT of addons, and don't want to have multiple smaller drives. So, it looks like I am goung to have to spend some big bucks to get a high capacity SSD in the not too distant future...

Bjoern
January 17th, 2012, 06:47
I am considering an SSD myself...but I have a LOT of addons, and don't want to have multiple smaller drives. So, it looks like I am goung to have to spend some big bucks to get a high capacity SSD in the not too distant future...

You can store your user-flyable aircraft in a folder on a conventional drive (as long as you link to it in the FSX.cfg) while having everything else on the SSD.
User-flyables are generally loaded only once per flying session anyways (contrary to AI aircraft which got in and out of the Ram all the time).

Felixthreeone
January 17th, 2012, 07:26
You can store your user-flyable aircraft in a folder on a conventional drive (as long as you link to it in the FSX.cfg) while having everything else on the SSD.
User-flyables are generally loaded only once per flying session anyways (contrary to AI aircraft which got in and out of the Ram all the time).

Thank you for the info! I never knew that, and it puts the whole SSD thing into a much more affordable realm now...

wombat666
January 17th, 2012, 08:00
Just FTR [and I'm not game on checking the costing yet] the OCZ Octane SATA III SSD is available from 128GB up to 1TB ......... :icon_eek:
I'm not ready to sell a Kidney at the moment.