PDA

View Full Version : USS Ronald Reagan parking lot

rayrey10
January 15th, 2012, 06:12
I didn't know the Navy still did this, although I shouldn't be surprised with all of the budget cuts.

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/this-aircraft-carrier-is-the-world%E2%80%99s-most-expensive-parking-lot.html

Toastmaker
January 15th, 2012, 07:16
Well, as the article explains, it's a good use of deck space !

:running:

rayrey10
January 15th, 2012, 08:30
Well, as the article explains, it's a good use of deck space !

:running:

True! They used to it back in the days when Marine Expeditionary Units (MEUs)...or I think they were called Marine Amphibious Unit back then...would go on and return from a float in the Pacific they would often transport cars between California and, Hawaii and Japan.

TacomaSailor
January 15th, 2012, 09:46
... for as long as I can remember.

N2056
January 15th, 2012, 12:24
Back when I was stationed in Bremerton and working at the shipyard I got to spend a Saturday directing traffic off of an arriving Carrier. It was novel to watch the elevator bring the vehicles down from the flight deck.

Willy
January 15th, 2012, 17:15
I've done it. When I was on the Lexington and we were leaving our homeport of Pensacola Florida for a longish yard period in Bayonne New Jersey, they let us bring our cars along. I brought my '67 GTO with me. The stipulations were that the car had to have current registration and insurance and a full tank of gas on loading on the ship. The reason for a full tank of gas is that it's less explosive than a partial tank is. We carried private vehicles in the hanger bay vice on the flight deck.

When I was on my last ship the USS Tortuga (LSD-46) we were the last ship to go to Refresher Training at Guantanamo Bay Cuba. As the Tortuga was made for hauling the Marines' toys and trucks around, we carried the RefTra group's vehicles (and other official equipment) to Mayport Florida where they were relocating to. Just think of an LSD as big floating pickup truck, tailgate and all.