PDA

View Full Version : Red Tail Thoughts...

Wittpilot
January 13th, 2012, 15:50
I didn't want to take over Ickie's post about the show on History tonight....

I watched the 7 min clip they have on youtube and it still looks pretty good....

That being said, I would like to go on record as saying that I am glad this movie was made.... There are going to be tons of naysayers and rivet counters out there... Yeah, things are going to be wrong, its the nature of the beast.... Could they have spent extra time and money to make it right? Probably...But it would have most likely never made it to the screen either.....

I personally will not throw it out the window for some historical innacuracies.... If we did, what would give any future director/ writer any reason to continue making these types of films? I will go and watch the film because it looks entertaining, and because I can tell the difference between entertainment, and documentary.....

-witt

rayrey10
January 13th, 2012, 16:03
Witt-

Well said. I agree with you 100%. I too, am looking forward to the movies release.

GT182
January 13th, 2012, 17:21
I can't wait to see it too, but I'm not going to the movies to see it. I'll wait for the DVD to hit the shelves. I just hope it's not too far away from being accurate.

Back a few years ago when I first met the Tuskegee guys from Philly. I ask if the first movie was accurate. Their answer was yes, none of the Tuskegee Airmen still alive would not allow the 1st movie to be nothing but as accurate as it could be.

SpitXIV
January 13th, 2012, 18:54
I think I'll wait for the DVD, from the Commercial ads it looks good, but looks can be decieving. We'll see.

Lionheart
January 13th, 2012, 19:45
Looks like it will be one awesome movie.

Nothing is perfect, but dang, George can make a good movie.

Flyboy208
January 13th, 2012, 19:59
I am in agreement here, nice to see ANY aviation movie these days that gets a good effort ... Now if we could only do a Movie version of "Black Sheep Squadron" that atones for the cheesiness and inaccuracies of the TV show ... Mike ;)

Sascha66
January 14th, 2012, 02:03
I thought the first Tuskegee movie was good, but this one seems pretty terrible. And I don't mean historic inaccuracies - it is just the flying itself which doesn't feel like flying at all.

What I am afraid of is that if this movie turns out to be popular, it will encourage other directors to be as cheesy in other "aviation" movies.

And thus we will get a lot of "aviation movies" but all of them this weird stuff!

My opinion is that this is aimed at a generation which knows their aviation from PS or X-Box third person games... That is exactly what it feels like to me: ETO for X-Box with a corny storyline thrown in.

Ferry_vO
January 14th, 2012, 02:18
I'm hoping I can see this movie, but I don't know if it will be in cinemas here.. George Lucas has some very interesting things to say about this film:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-january-9-2012/george-lucas

Willy
January 14th, 2012, 20:27
I saw a preview for it tonight when I went to the movie theater to see Warhorse. I've been being kind of ambivalent about it, but now I'll probably go see it.

(BTW, Warhorse was the best movie I've seen in a few years)

Panther_99FS
January 14th, 2012, 20:35
Seems like the real Tuskegee Airmen are satisfied....:mixedsmi:

modelr
January 15th, 2012, 06:52
I rarely go to the theater to see a movie anymore. I buy the DVD's. However, I am planning on going to see this one. Then, when the DVD comes out, it will be right next to my copy of the original HBO version.

As an aside about the HBO version, and it's "authenticness," V the early complaints about the aerial scenes in this movie. When the HBO movie was made, the real aircraft were plentiful, and considerably cheaper to "rent" for movie making purposes. Also, computer generated scenes were still in their infancy. If you've seen the HBO one, most of the aircraft used were wrong, (NO P-40s) and most, if not all of the paint schemes were wrong. However, the story was very well told, and it was entertaining. Today, "renting" the real aircraft, as well as repainting them, and filming them, is prohibitively expensive, although, it is true that many more AUTHENTIC aircraft are flying today, and computer generated scenes are "almost" as real appearing as the real thing. (Except when a non-pilot type tries to recreate some of the flight patterns and ends up making it look cartoonish, as in the one scene most talked about so far where the P-51 seems to do a backflip when going after the German aircraft going below in the opposite direction.) It's the sory itself that is the point of the movie, the aerial scenes are purely eye candy in the telling. IF the story was about the AIRCRAFT, then the film should be done using real aircraft, much like Turwilliger did with "One Six Right." However, then the targeted audience would be much smaller.

Just my $.02 worth
Don

Willy
January 15th, 2012, 17:26
I go to movies to be entertained. As long as the story is reasonably right, it's all good.