PDA

View Full Version : not again

jeansy
January 12th, 2012, 02:47
after the 16th reinstall , including a pc format in the past 7 days, ive manged to reinstall fsx with all the addons working the past 2 days but

its happened again, tonight ive lost my addons in the menu bar after installing 3 packages this afternoon

ive narrowed it down to 1 of 3 packages, its either one of the following orbx alice springs or wollongong or NZ

if you have any of those 3 can you check if your addons are showing in your addon menu particularly instant scenery, fsinn, heli traffic and flight1 ultimate traffic and let me know please so i can avoid it next time

since im banned from the orbx forums and they refuse to provide support, im left to ask you guys

hey_moe
January 12th, 2012, 02:55
When you formatted your hard drive did you use Windows or a third party program?

jeansy
January 12th, 2012, 03:12
When you formatted your hard drive did you use Windows or a third party program?

not sure I sent it out to get done

im 100% sure thats not the problem

I had everything working this afternoon, I had all the addons showing and loading without problem then I installed the 3 mentioned packages then lost them again

im pretty sure its not NZ as i have spoken to a few mates on TS who have the same addons and they have nz installed and not experiencing any problems

Chris Sykes
January 12th, 2012, 03:45
I would guess one of those installers is not ammending but replacing the dll.xml file therefor loosing your installed addons, i would check the dll.xml location to see if there is a backup from installing those 3 addon's and seeing if it contains the addon details you are missing.

Then copy only the details from the backup to the currect dll.xml and hopefully if done correctly you should get your addon's back.

jeansy
January 12th, 2012, 04:00
I would guess one of those installers is not ammending but replacing the dll.xml file therefor loosing your installed addons, i would check the dll.xml location to see if there is a backup from installing those 3 addon's and seeing if it contains the addon details you are missing.

Then copy only the details from the backup to the currect dll.xml and hopefully if done correctly you should get your addon's back.

nup it makes no difference, or usin the backup xmls

something has installed which prevents the xml from working correctly and the only thing so far ive found that works is a PC format

the flight1 guys have no idea whats wrong, the xml shows no sign of errors, ive read and tried everything even after a reinstall of fsx ( all 16 times), the modules still fail to load

mal998
January 12th, 2012, 04:07
Do you think that disabling those three addons, one at a time, and then checking the sim to see if that corrects the problem, might help?

jeansy
January 12th, 2012, 04:15
Do you think that disabling those three addons, one at a time, and then checking the sim to see if that corrects the problem, might help?

no joy on that procedure,

system restore no joy,

swearing out loud no joy

re installing the orbx addons, no joy

reinstalling the disabled .dlls no joy

removing the orbx addons no joy

reinstalling as admin, no joy

skyhawka4m
January 12th, 2012, 04:53
I have NZSI and no problems....everything showing

wombat666
January 12th, 2012, 07:19
Matt, I'm running Alice Springs and New Zealand with no aggro.
Could be the Gong is living up to its National Reputation ............. :running:

mjrhealth
January 12th, 2012, 09:55
The dll.xml and exe.xml are particlar fussy abt how things are written, I just spent 2 days trying to figure out why it wasnt working, I found that one of the add ons had left spaces between < and the next letter, removed the spaces all good. So check the format and check the paths are correct. uninstallng the addon may not necessarily fix the file.

newcomer
January 12th, 2012, 11:07
I think the culprit is Woolongong.
All of a sudden this airport didnīt load anymore and I had several "out of memory" error reports. I made a complete computer reset to its original configuration. I installed fsx and the orbx addons, tried YWOL and again: CTD.

newcomer
January 12th, 2012, 11:32
I think the culprit is Woolongong.
All of a sudden this airport didnīt load anymore and I had several "out of memory" error reports. I made a complete computer reset to its original configuration. I installed fsx and the orbx addons, tried YWOL and again: CTD.

I hope I have got a solution:

Check the xml.dll in the folder with the fsx.cfg - you will see that everything from YWOL onwards is not "in line" with the other entries. When I "aligned" all entries with the entries above --> YWOL loaded without any problem!

Hope I made myself clear - hope it works for you as well!

Sieggie
January 12th, 2012, 12:30
For what it is worth, If you open the files with XML Notepad from M$ it might just fix any structure problems and make it all work again. Every time I have tried to use notepad or any other text editor on those files, it has messed them up. XML Notepad seems to keep them from going belly up.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=7973

Dave

AussieMan
January 12th, 2012, 12:57
G'day Matt

I have all three of those airports intalled and all seem to work fine. I am actually using YWOL as my default airport at the moment.

I have one question. I know it is tedious but do you run FSX after each scenery is installed and allow FSX to create a database for that particular scenery? I have done that after I either add another HDD, reinstall Windows or have to reinstall FSX.

Short of that I cannot think of anything that would be causing your problem.

I also know it takes very little to get banned. Been there twice myself over the years. That is why I rarely post there.

jeansy
January 12th, 2012, 13:01
cheers guys for the help so far

its not the xml thats the problem,

in my earlier post

the .dlls in the xml load up at the start of fsx, i know this because all the .dlls require the security check at start up each time i clean out my trusted files from my fsx.cfg

its only in the sim play they fail to show, Ive even had the flight1 guys check the xml since most of their stuff goes missing, and they said its fine and they dont know whats going on

its something that orbx has added to the newest set of airports that prevent them from working, even uninstalls of fsx and re installs do nothing as the problem persists, I even formatted the drive where my fsx lives and the problems persist

its ether something in the registry or windows it self and so far and the only fix ive found that works is the format and reinstall

jeansy
January 12th, 2012, 13:02
G'day Matt

I have all three of those airports intalled and all seem to work fine. I am actually using YWOL as my default airport at the moment.

I have one question. I know it is tedious but do you run FSX after each scenery is installed and allow FSX to create a database for that particular scenery? I have done that after I either add another HDD, reinstall Windows or have to reinstall FSX.

Short of that I cannot think of anything that would be causing your problem.

I also know it takes very little to get banned. Been there twice myself over the years. That is why I rarely post there.

Pat, yes the airports work fine, thats never been the problem

its a result of the airports thats causing the other modules to fail

we alll know they no longer have customer relations, and i have to question the so called world class customer support they brag about as i know im not the only they refuse support to

Ian Warren
January 12th, 2012, 13:58
On installing all New Zealand photo real scenery i get gable roof texture problem after installing NZSI , orbx tamper with within the area files and terrain elevations for New Zealand , this could be a cause when installing Australian orbx scenery as well , when first released the orbx years ago starting from blue it mucked every thing for NZ , you get horrid affects , this might also cause problems further down with modules .

BASys
January 12th, 2012, 14:44
Hi Folks

Matt -
There should NEVER
be any requirement whatsoever
to either reinstall FSX, or the FSX SDK,
just to get your in-game tools working.

As per your previous help request at FSDev
please post a current ADE-Check report to over there,
relating to your latest FSX/FSXSDK install paths.

You might yet be coming across something entirely new
to my past 5.25 years of SDK wrangling on behalf of others,
but without the basics of your latest ADE-Check report
then all bets are off. :salute:

HTH
ATB
Paul

jeansy
January 12th, 2012, 15:13
Sorry Paul

The pc is in the process of being formatted (again)

As mentioned they all work fine but when those 3 orbx scenery packages are installed it goes to custard

Then no matter how many times a fsx reinstall is done or just the modules the addon menu never works unless a pc format is done

Ive had the menu dramas before and was easily fixed the recent problems is a new kettle of fish

jeansy
January 12th, 2012, 17:32
Paul

i just tried to replica it on the laptop and no problems

so far all good on the laptop, the only thing different between the PCs are

tower runs 64bit win7 while the laptop runs 32bit win 7

the strange thing about it is, the 2nd time it happened, the tower was "as new" due to the PC format ( yes all updates were done before installing) and that time not installing the SDK

and both times it happened after i installed the lastest orbx products

could 64bit win7 might be causing these issues?

Sundog
January 12th, 2012, 17:42
Paul

the strange thing about it is, the 2nd time it happened, the tower was "as new" due to the PC format ( yes all updates were done before installing) and that time not installing the SDK

I have 64bit Win7 and don't have any of those problems. But I also have the full blown package, just FYI.

AussieMan
January 12th, 2012, 19:07
Paul

Matt, I am running Win7 64bit on my tower computer but it is stock standard with no Tweaking of the hardware. And it is not overclocked and FSX runs fine for me. I have it locked at 30FPS and it rarely drops below 22FPS.

jeansy
January 12th, 2012, 19:32
cheers for the replies

we have gone off track or not sure what im seeking,

im aware fsx works in 64bit and im aware the orbx sceneries run under 64bit

I know the new sceneries work, as they run fine in sim play in windows 64bit

im trying to work out since ive installed the "new" orbx sceneries why I have lost my flight1 addons and fsinn

this has happened both times ive installed them

im trying to work out what in these orbx packages is preventing the flight1 and other addons in my menu bar from loading in sim play and it takes a pc format only to rectify this

gradyhappyg
January 12th, 2012, 20:14
I remember somewhere you said you had administrator rights turned off,so do I but I still run all installers as an administrator because sometimes programs can't write into the
registry or create dll files if you don't due to the weirdness of Windows 7. I have had some issues with this myself.
Are you installing as an administrator?
Using any program compatability settings on install?
I don't know if this could be causing your issues just throwing it out there.

I give you much credit for patience I would have already drop kicked my rig out into the yard.
At least three times by now.

Good luck.

fsafranek
January 17th, 2012, 09:33
No comments for a couple days so maybe you got it sorted out?

But if not have you considered running bare bones FSX for a couple days just to make sure it is a solid install before immediately installed 3rd party stuff on top? And then as you install the extra stuff do it one item per day to make sure it is still solid? That way you can also establish a restore point (new date) between each big add-on. Then when you find the one that craps it out restore back a day and toss that one. Just a thought.
:ernae: