PDA

View Full Version : And Now, My Favorite Moment in a Movie...

Dain Arns
December 18th, 2008, 14:53
I figure I have watched enough movies over the years, I have thousands of these moments. You do too. Please feel free to share.

And now my favorite moment from "Blazing Saddles" as presented via YouTube. For whatever reason I laugh out loud at this scene with Slim Pickens, and the last line he speaks, every single time. It's such a silly scene. :costumes: :costumes: :costumes:
(Please excuse the language)

SbWg-mozGsU

Daveroo
December 18th, 2008, 15:56
i bought my dad this for christmas...ive never seen it uncut...cant wait...clevon little was pretty funny in it i think

djscoo
December 18th, 2008, 16:17
I rarely rent movies, but I rent TV programs on DVD all the time. That's how I got started on Lost, and Arrested Development (my favorite TV show of all time!) Supposedly there is an Arrested Development movie in the works.
Go3c0q3AiS4
24Bubq11mR8

cheezyflier
December 18th, 2008, 18:37
that movie has soooo many good moments in it, we'll probably never see another comedy of that caliber ever again.

before i can add my fav film moment, i have to think about it first.

Navy Chief
December 18th, 2008, 19:12
Maybe I am wrong about this, but if "Blazing Saddles" would have been released nowadays, I bet Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson would have gone on the media rampage........

NC

Dain Arns
December 18th, 2008, 19:46
Slim Pickens night...

From "Dr. Strangelove"...

F5qqfsQGYus

Dain Arns
December 18th, 2008, 19:55
Okay. I actually have two favorite moments from "Dr. Strangelove". Here's the other one...

DUAK7t3Lf8s

wombat666
December 18th, 2008, 20:44
Favourite 'Movie Moment', the fake orgasm scene from 'When Harry Met Sally'.
And I know that's a bit girlie but it cracks me up each time I see it.
:applause:

cheezyflier
December 19th, 2008, 06:49
i really tried, i did. i tried to narrow down my favorite movie scene. i actually spent 3 hours trying to figure it out. i have failed.
i couldn't narrow it down to less than 5:

1) the fight scene in "they live" between roddy piper and keith david

2) the night fight in the early part of "crouching tiger hidden dragon"

3) the scene in "windstruck" when myung woo's soul is about to pass into the after life and all the pinwheels in kyung jin's apt begin turning, and she calls out his name, knowing he is saying goodbye. most of you probably haven't seen it, but anyone who could watch it and not be moved has no soul.

4) at the end of "now and forever" aka "yeolliji" (another one most of you have never seen) when hye-won finds kyung-min's video message on his phone, and learns that while she was dying, she knew he was also dying even though he tried to hide it from her. it will choke you up for sure.

5) the scene in "3 iron" where tae-suk is in his cell hiding from the prison guard, messing with their heads.

if you claim to be a movie fan, you really haven't seen it all until you have seen these last 3 films.

Dangerousdave26
December 19th, 2008, 09:30
The movie The Highlander

The Song Who Wants to Live Forever by Queen

t9gjWQiVVXI

EasyEd
December 19th, 2008, 12:07
Hey All

John Wayne - There really is no more to say.

You can pick almost any movie and there will be an unforgettable scene.

This only a sample - there are far better however tube is kinda short on good John Wayne clips. This one at least is from my favorite John Wayne movie even though it isn't the best clip which would be the saving the sheepherder scenes at the beginning.

nJUbz_Z35JY

My all time favorite scene though is John Wayne, Lee Marvin and Jimmy Stewart in the Man who shot Liberty Valance "That's my steak Liberty" Those who have seen it will know.

Others that rate high though are definitely Bogart and Bacall and the end of Shane as well as others.

-Ed-

cheezyflier
December 19th, 2008, 15:03
he was the man, no one can deny.

i have often said that there are some places in the states, that when you say "holy trinity" people think john wayne, andy griffith, and elvis :costumes:

Dain Arns
December 19th, 2008, 15:23
Hey Cheezy, you're sweating it way too much, man. I never said "All Time Favorite". Just a favorite moment from a movie you like. Feel free to post all of those you mentioned. :costumes:

Dain Arns
December 19th, 2008, 15:34
My all time favorite scene though is John Wayne, Lee Marvin and Jimmy Stewart in the Man who shot Liberty Valance "That's my steak Liberty" Those who have seen it will know...

-Ed-

Merry Christmas, Ed. I found it for you. That's one of my favorite scenes from that movie as well...

MEQYxrW066I

EasyEd
December 19th, 2008, 17:03
Hey All,

Thank You Dain! :ernae:

Didn't realize that was there. Here's another favorite - John Wayne on the Alamo and Republic.

xaPA8fGeRUc&feature=related

-Ed-

TeaSea
December 20th, 2008, 05:29
I own Catch 22, which was a pretty lackluster film (although Alan Arkin is great) because of the B-25 take off scene near the beginning of the film. This is an incredible piece of work, done by TallMantz aviation (Frank Tallman, Paul Mantz) and could not be filmed today (just the insurance wouldn't allow it). When ever I hear people talk about the great things that computer imagery can do with film, I refer them to this scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLNnWw1YHGg&feature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkMit4sFX2M)

It's a bit long, but it's worth it....turn up the volume for take off

TeaSea
December 20th, 2008, 06:01
As for John Wayne....True Grit is in my opinion his culmination portraying a western hero. The movie keeps pretty close to the book by author Charles Portis (which is a wonderful read btw) except for the ending, which Portis (who was hired for the sreenplay) doctored up for cinema.

Sorry for the links, but I've missed the tutorial on embedding these things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3AX4nw6JDg&feature=related

I love the language in the film, which is a much more stylized and formal form of English than spoken now. Portis took pains to keep to that type of speech (In these days, people were taught to read and write from the Bible). The book reflects that even more.

Incidentally, Glen Campbell's portrayal of LeBouf was heavily criticized since he spoke often in clipped phrases, delivered as an actor. However, Portis main character, the girl Mattie (who his telling this story as an old woman) describes LeBouf as speaking just "as an actor delivering his lines". I would never accuse Campbell of being much of an actor, but he did a more than adequate job with this project, especially considering who he was cast against.

Other great performers in this film include Robert Duvall, Dennis Hopper, and Kim Darby.

Dain Arns
December 20th, 2008, 06:48
Sorry for the links, but I've missed the tutorial on embedding these things.

Not a big deal. Thanks for sharing! :applause: That's my favorite scene from "True Grit" as well as the ending. I love that still shot of him jumping a horse over the fence. Insurance wouldn't allow an actor to do that as well today.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

To embed, simply copy the 11 alpha/numeric code for the YouTube video. It usually starts right after the "=" sign in your web browser's address window. The "Catch 22" one is: EkMit4sFX2M. Highlight, and copy (Ctrl+c)

Paste the code into your post (ctrl+v), then highlight that code, and hit the red "YT" button in the post editor. It puts the proper YouTube tags around it to display within your post.

Dain Arns
December 20th, 2008, 07:10
It's Christmas, its time for "It's a Wonderful Life". For whatever reason, when Ellen Corbin (Grandma Walton) looks at Jimmie Stewart and says the line, "Could I have $17.50?" during this scene, I get a tear in my eye every single time. You know that's all she needs to just get by. Its the way she delivers the line, the light Frank Capra has shining on her face, the way Jimmie Stewart spontaneously gives her a great big hug. What a great scene.

MJJN9qwhkkE

TeaSea
December 20th, 2008, 12:29
Think I got it....

Ref the differences in the movie True Grit and the book. In the book, Cogburn is found by Mattie years later, alcoholic and down on his luck and dying. She manages to have his body brought back to the family plot, which is the basis of the scene in the movie. Portis elected to end the movie differently because it made for a better movie ending and closed out the story...avoiding several more chapters in the book.

Oh, and Mattie has her arm amputated in the book. In the movie, she keeps it.

So, next nomination happens to include another scene from TallMantz aviation...Paul Mantz flew it and came within just a few feet of having a 2x4 imbedded in his chest. This is a bit long, but the transition from one time to another (present to the past) sends shivers up my spine.

gi2NwU38NzA&feature=related

This movie is used as a basis for instruction by every military service.

Dain Arns
December 23rd, 2008, 03:39
Favorite movie, despite Ted Turner's ownership and attempts at ruining it through his cable channel marathon showings. I love Jean Shepard's work.

zdA__2tKoIU

djscoo
December 23rd, 2008, 08:05
Favorite movie, despite Ted Turner's ownership and attempts at ruining it through his cable channel marathon showings. I love Jean Shepard's work.

zdA__2tKoIU
More Ovaltine Please!

Eoraptor1
December 23rd, 2008, 15:55
i really tried, i did. i tried to narrow down my favorite movie scene. i actually spent 3 hours trying to figure it out. i have failed.
i couldn't narrow it down to less than 5:

1) the fight scene in "they live" between roddy piper and keith david

2) the night fight in the early part of "crouching tiger hidden dragon"

Alright, Cheezy. I'll go along with these movies, but my favorite scenes from them are:

1) The love scene at the end of They Live, when the alien asks the human woman: "What's the matter, Baby?"

2) The fight at Wudan Temple. Zhang Ziyi vs. Michelle Yeoh.

I have a long love/hate relationship with John Wayne movies. The Searchers is the one that keeps making the AFI Top Ten lists, but it's not my favorite. My two favorite JW movies are Fort Apache and Red River. If I were to meet a modern day Alexis de Tocqueville and he asked me, "How do Americans want to see themselves?" Without hesitation I'd say, "Watch Red River." I also liked Wake of the Red Witch quite a bit.

I loved the first Highlander movie. (The sequels, in my opinion, were never as good) I even have a replica Highlander katana. It's not an exact replica of the movie sword; I sculpted my own faux ivory dragon hilt out of epoxy resin. I'm also a huge fan of Queen's music.

I personallythought Blazing Saddles was hilarious, but if you're the type to take offense easily, this would be one to skip. There's something in this movie to offend EVERYBODY.

JAMES

cheezyflier
December 23rd, 2008, 20:57
Alright, Cheezy. I'll go along with these movies, but my favorite scenes from them are:

1) The love scene at the end of They Live, when the alien asks the human woman: "What's the matter, Baby?"

can you imagine if that was you? :costumes:
if it was me i would freak out. :isadizzy:

2) The fight at Wudan Temple. Zhang Ziyi vs. Michelle Yeoh.

actually that fight doesn't take place at wudan. if you mean this scene:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OxQ-2gR1DU

it takes place in the training room of shu lien's (michelle yeoh) warehouse.
it was really hard for me not to choose that scene, i like it alot too. most people watch that scene and never see that shu lien passes up several chances to kill jiao long. also, many people don't see her precision, because of everything else going on. watch the video above. just before the 2 min mark when shu lien is fighting with the hooks. she comes across with a double left attack down low on her knees, then as she attacks to the right, she comes spinning, from a kneeling position, to standing, in one fluid move.
that's real. it's not wire-fu. try duplicating that move yourself with a couple of sticks to see how impressive that move is, and most people never notice it. i have anylized that movie so many times i lost count. i can recite the entire dialog from memory. the reason i chose the first fight scene,
("night fight" as it's called) is because a) it has some of the coolest hand scenes ever caught on film, and b) the footwork is amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHdbfwG8vBM&feature=related
if you have the movie you can see better on your dvd. this is a crappy copy of it. sorry for going on and on, but this is one of my all time fav sword films. "a love before time" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnXawiyyTCI
from the soundtrack, was my wedding song.

Eoraptor1
December 24th, 2008, 05:45
Cheezy,

Yes, this is the fight scene I meant, at the warehouse, and we did notice here that shu lien passed up at least one chance to cancel jiao long. In fact, there was quite a heated argument amongst my Circle as to whether or not she should have. I err on the side of terminating all Sith and Sith-like personages. Their shot at redemption isn't worth the innocent lives they end up taking while they're finding themselves. Others feel differently. As for me, if I were Obi-wan, Anakin Skywalker would've been kicked into the lava, right after choking out fine-***ed Natalie Portman like Ike Turner... Yes, George Lucas. I said it.

JAMES

cheezyflier
December 24th, 2008, 10:24
Yes, George Lucas. I said it.

JAMES

:costumes::wiggle::wavey:

Eoraptor1
December 24th, 2008, 12:34
:costumes::wiggle::wavey:

I know it's not very Christmas not to forgive Anakin; but as a matter of principle I'm against hottie-choking.

JAMES

Dain Arns
December 24th, 2008, 12:48
Okaaaay. I'm more than a little creeped out right now where this thread went to. How about a nice excerpt from "Miracle on 34th Street" to get it back on track, huh? :wavey:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/4864/miracle-on-34th-street-silly-common-sense