PDA

View Full Version : Why I like SOH

Dangerousdave26
January 10th, 2012, 12:12
No advertisements that give me viruses that I can not completely fix that is a good start.

Aughh today at lunch I went over to 1CPublishings website and forums to see what has been happening with Cliffs of Dover. All I really wanted to do was see if I needed to upgrade the server that is running on SOH FC.

While reading a post Firefox suddenly shut down. Then up pops a virus scanner and I immediately know what is going on. I disconnected from the network used task manager to shut down the process located the offending files and deleted them.

The B**ch is it already changed a lot of system settings. The system no longer recognizes .exe files every program I run asks what program I want to use to run it. Some programs will run if I tell it to run with its self others not at all.

The two files I removed are fky.exe and bdr.exe.

The good news is I have a full image of my machine so I can restore from the image. The bad news is I don't I did not back up as often as I should have so I need to restore to a new drive so I do not loose files.

That should not be an issue but it is money I did not want to spend right now.

plus I will have to go to CompUSA and pay the big bucks or wait until next week and purchase a drive from newegg.com after I get paid.

So word of warning don't go to 1CPublishings forums anytime soon.

Sascha66
January 10th, 2012, 12:33
No advertisements that give me viruses that I can not completely fix that is a good start.

Aughh today at lunch I went over to 1CPublishings website and forums to see what has been happening with Cliffs of Dover. All I really wanted to do was see if I needed to upgrade the server that is running on SOH FC.

While reading a post Firefox suddenly shut down. Then up pops a virus scanner and I immediately know what is going on. I disconnected from the network used task manager to shut down the process located the offending files and deleted them.

The B**ch is it already changed a lot of system settings. The system no longer recognizes .exe files every program I run asks what program I want to use to run it. Some programs will run if I tell it to run with its self others not at all.

The two files I removed are fky.exe and bdr.exe.

The good news is I have a full image of my machine so I can restore from the image. The bad news is I don't I did not back up as often as I should have so I need to restore to a new drive so I do not loose files.

That should not be an issue but it is money I did not want to spend right now.

plus I will have to go to CompUSA and pay the big bucks or wait until next week and purchase a drive from newegg.com after I get paid.

So word of warning don't go to 1CPublishings forums anytime soon.

Let me get this straight: You can pick up a virus from reading forum posts? Jeez!!

Any idea how that works and how to avoid that?

Anyway, kudos on your quick reaction! Good luck with restoring your system!

Sascha

redriver6
January 10th, 2012, 12:37
thanks for the HU Dave....i used to go there all the time for CoD info....which is probably why i had to do a recent backup and reinstall of windows.

Dangerousdave26
January 10th, 2012, 12:51
Looks like it should be less painful than I expected.

Suddenly I calmed down and realized that I could run malwarebytes as administrator and tell it to forget the update (which I ran earlier luckily). Then I was able to scan the pc and remove the infected .dll files and registry entries.

@ Sascha66

Yes 1CPublishing is not infected (at least I believe that to be the case). They sell add space on their webpage usually these are purchased from legitimate sources. Every once in a while one of these internet add sellers is less than honest. The add space links to this company which provides your pc the add. That will at randome intervals send out an add that is not only bogus but contains a virus or malware payload. Most of the time so its hard to prove it was them they are sending legitimate adds for real products.

There was a company in the US this year that got busted for doing this. They were making millions selling the fix to repair your pc that they just put their crap on.

Dangerousdave26
January 11th, 2012, 13:52
Last night I ran Malwarebytes as administrator in safe mode. I did a full scan and it found 2 more files it removed. They were in the my Documents folder.

3esLc7m.exe and aWegn4.exe

I am not sure why it did not find these earlier it may have been because I did a quick scan.

They were successfully removed without a problem

After that I have scanned the PC with a couple of different on line scanners and nothing new was found.

Looks like we are all clean.

Moparmike
January 12th, 2012, 08:36
Dave! You're running Firefox without NoScript?!?
http://noscript.net/
First thing I ad to any browser is a pop-up blocker, content controller, etc type of plug-in. For FireFox, that's the one I use. An excellent add-on that lets you control which sites are allowed to display content in your browser. You can set permanent permissions for a site or temporary exceptions. Each content provider is listed separately so you can allow the main site but limit the ad-services like doubleclick or akamai.

Here's an example of what the NoScript control panel for a typical ad-served site looks like. As you can see, I've allowed some content providers but not others.
(I'm not picking on dpreview...they were just the handiest site on my bookmark toolbar that I know has ad-services.)

Dangerousdave26
January 12th, 2012, 12:16
Yes I was never heard of it before.

:icon_lol:

Now I have.

Installed and working.

SSI01
January 12th, 2012, 13:03
Moparmike - what do you recommend for Microsoft IE?

AckAck
January 12th, 2012, 14:32

Firefox...

:icon_lol:

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

SSI01
January 13th, 2012, 05:48
Acckk!!!! Phfffffffft!!!

I like Bloom County, too.:kilroy:

Moparmike
January 13th, 2012, 07:34

Firefox...

Yup, it's pretty much strictly Firefox on my machines too. Most of my browsing is done from Linux anyway where IE isn't an option.
I don't use IE except for a certain few websites that absolutely refuse to be compatible with FireFox, such as Windows Update.

For IE8/9, I use the built-in pop-up blocker and tracking protection. It does a decent job, it's just not very easy to configure compared to that NoScript button that lives right on your browser face.
You can get some pre-customized Tracking Protection lists for IE. Go to "Tools\Manage_Add-Ons" menu (see attached screenie), and it's the bottom option on the left-hand sidebar. Then at the bottom you'll see a link to a page with some pre-fabbed lists. You can also build your own custom list, but that's a lot of work and trial-n-error.
Most of the extra protection add-ons for IE are either crippled free versions or paid full versions so I haven't bothered adding any of them.

Rami
January 13th, 2012, 07:39
Good morning,

I use Firefox almost exclusively as well! :ernae: