PDA

View Full Version : The fastest (production) car in the world.

Trans_23
January 8th, 2012, 19:06
And it will only cost you about $1.7 Million. :isadizzy:

http://biertijd.com/mediaplayer/?itemid=21927

Kiwikat
January 8th, 2012, 19:20
The Veyron is a massive pig of a sports car. I'd much rather have something that can actually turn. :wavey:

wombat666
January 8th, 2012, 20:35
Point of order.
It is not a 'sports car', in fact, it's not even a 'Bugatti'.
The target market is for the under endowed and overly wealthy 'males' in oil rich nations.
:kilroy:

andersel
January 8th, 2012, 22:48
Pretty impressive. Who gives a...

Naismith
January 8th, 2012, 23:45
You mean my Grand Vitara isn't? DOH.

demorier
January 8th, 2012, 23:52
I watched some doco's not long ago about some of the engineering that went into this car. It's an impressive piece but overall I was a little disappointed it wasn't more 'innovative' for the manufacturing expense. Really just an overblown Aston Martin or something like that.

kilo delta
January 9th, 2012, 03:12
In all fairness..the Veyron was never designed as a sports car. The car's design team were tasked with a brief that had ultimate speed in a road legal car as a number 1 priority (ala McLaren,s F1). The team achieved this goal creating a technological marvel that is the Veyron. Vw made a massive loss on each example that was produced...1 million euros each versus the 5 million that it cost to build.
Yes,the car is not exactly good looking...or a trackable race car. It is ,however,sublimely fast and with a very,very impressive braking system. It can be driven fast,safely,by any ordinary driver...ie. You don't need to be an ex-F1 driver to drive this car at 200mph.
I know a guy that managed to get a passenger ride in one that was sold locally and he was impressed at how planted the car was at 170mph...it felt like 70mph in an ordinary car. The technology that's gone into the building of the Veyron will (as with F1 technology) filter done in time to many more mundane vehicles in the future.

magoo
January 9th, 2012, 05:44
Get a pilot's license, buy a plane (some sort of six cylinder RG), buy a nice (smaller) house near an airfield, a twenty year lease on a hangar space at the airfield, plus fuel, maintenance and assorted insurances for the next decade. Go fast and get no tickets until you get sores on your butt. Take the other half of the money you would have spent on the Veyron and invest it carefully, hopefully you'll make enough profit over time to maintain your glamourous lifestyle without having to take on a dreary job, like developmental test pilot.

Take some of that profit and buy a Miata to scoot from your new house to the airfield and back. Buy a golf cart and keep it at a rental unit in the Carribean (Fly there regularly....). Go tour Asia. Go tour Europe. Go back to University. Rescue a mutt from the pound, tie a red hankie around his/her neck, and ride them along on your less than the price of a Veyron adventures.

Or......

Take the money for the Veyron, and buy a P-51 Mustang. Or a Grumman Bearcat. Or (perhaps) a GeeBee replica.....etc, etc, etc....
Go on...if you're gonna give your insurance broker an ulcer, make it a gooder.

Cazzie
January 9th, 2012, 10:03
The Hell with that thing, gimme a Viper!

Devildog73
January 9th, 2012, 10:47
268MPH...... As a police officer I have driven a cruiser 160MPH back in the '70s.

268MPH is a coffin on wheels for any too obscenely wealthy kid with an over indulgent daddy and no brains or common sense.

They should sell it with a funeral plot included.

OBIO
January 9th, 2012, 11:09
I'm not really all that impressed. Oh yeah....268mph is impressive....but come on 1200 HP, carbon fiber construction, ultra aerodynamic design, millions of dollars worth or research to develop a car for the sole purpose of being the world's fastest production car.

Big whoop!

My 1994 Plymouth Grand Voyager LE 7-passenger mini-van, with 207,500 (roughly....a few miles to go before 500 part is correct...the 207,000 part is dead on) on the odometer, a 3.3 litre V-6 that has never been pulled from the van, a transmission that has a leaky inner main seal and is about a quart low on fluid, and is about as aerodynamic as the average one car garage...can still hit 100 mph on even the worst roads in Richland County, Ohio, without having a team of engineers and astrophysicists standing by the guardrail drinking mint juleps.

Take that Bugatti.

OBIO

Wing_Z
January 9th, 2012, 11:15
As James May points out, the VW test track is one of the few places on earth where you can let the Bugatti have its head.
It's a technological Tour de Force, and now exceeds the lofty design goal set by Ferdinand Piech as his personal monument to motoring.
If you own one, it is mostly for the bragging rights of what is possible - you know, like 99% of truck and SUV owners.
But in the real world, I'd go for this one:
http://www.arielmotor.co.uk/
or perhaps even this one:
http://bac-mono.com/
both of which will give the Bug a go around town... and then do what magoo says above.

268MPH...... As a police officer I have driven a cruiser 160MPH back in the '70s.
Wow.. that's Ferrari territory! Did you have a 308GTB cruiser??

oldpropfan
January 10th, 2012, 02:23
It isn't going to be the fastest for long, the SSC Tuatara is being built to go faster. Projected speed of 275 mph from 1350 hp and only priced in the high 6 figures :icon_lol:.

OBIO
January 10th, 2012, 03:04

He didn't need a 308GTB...he was probably driving a Plymouth Fury II with the 440 Interceptor engine.....those big heavy 4-door sedans would flat get up and go. My brother-in-law bought an ex-Ohio State Patrol cruiser (Plymouth Fury II with the afore mentioned engine) and that big land tank would nail 100 MPH before you knew what hit you and climb on up with ease. Fastest I (as an unlicensed 15-year old) had the car was 130...and my brother-in-law was screaming at me to SLOW DOWN!

OBIO

grunau_baby
January 10th, 2012, 04:14
I think for the money this thing cost - and no itīs not a beautifully lined Bugatti, but a lumb VW show-off car, a disgrace for this prestigious brandīs history - you can easily afford a good pychiatrist, even one with as much/enough entertainment factor, I guess:kilroy:

Even with enough money my self-opinion could not be so low I would have a need for this useless piece of technology. What use is 431 km/h if you cannot drive it anywhere... With my former matchbox-size little Fiat-critter I could run circles around the bigs at 125mp/h (and it only cost me around 10.000,00$). That was real fun - driving fast on a straight lined empty track is for doughbags and brainless bored rich brats (and narcissistic, megalomaniac VW-developers).

Alex

PS: Gosh I hate this VW company, they claim to sell the most cars, they are the bigest, they have the fastest, they have the best anyway... this mindset so much reminds me of a certain period of german history it makes me sick... sorry for the rant!

Devildog73
January 10th, 2012, 12:25
As James May points out, the VW test track is one of the few places on earth where you can let the Bugatti have its head.
It's a technological Tour de Force, and now exceeds the lofty design goal set by Ferdinand Piech as his personal monument to motoring.
If you own one, it is mostly for the bragging rights of what is possible - you know, like 99% of truck and SUV owners.
But in the real world, I'd go for this one:
http://www.arielmotor.co.uk/
or perhaps even this one:
http://bac-mono.com/
both of which will give the Bug a go around town... and then do what magoo says above.

'72 Mercury Monterey with 429 Interceptor engine. Those Ford police interceptor engines with the police transmissions would flat out push you back into your seat. When they shifted they did not slip into gears, they slammed into and locked into the next gear. They were one automatic tranny that would chirp tires on shifts from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. Power to weight ratio was great. Back then we had rear deck wig-wags inside the rear window and only one "bubble gum" revolving red on top, so very little wind resistance.

Wing_Z
January 10th, 2012, 13:47
...Gosh I hate this VW company, they claim to sell the most cars, they are the bigest, they have the fastest, they have the best anyway... this mindset so much reminds me of a certain period of german history it makes me sick...Don't be too hard on them, it happens to most car companies that get oversized...
Don't you remember: "What's good for General Motors, is good for America"

Wing_Z
January 10th, 2012, 13:49
...Gosh I hate this VW company, they claim to sell the most cars, they are the bigest, they have the fastest, they have the best anyway... this mindset so much reminds me of a certain period of german history it makes me sick...Don't be too hard on them, it happens to most car companies that get oversized...
Don't you remember: "What's good for General Motors, is good for America"

...Fastest I (as an unlicensed 15-year old) had the car was 130...and my brother-in-law was screaming at me to SLOW DOWN!That would've been a genuinely frightening experience...
My one and only trip in a Pony Car of the '70's left the distinct impression that the engine needed a different chassis, brakes and steering.
Oh, and the speedo over-read by almost 20%!