PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft selection screen size question...

Felixthreeone
January 8th, 2012, 17:36
Silly question maybe, and one that I did try and google with no suitable answer...

How do you change the default size of the aircraft in the selection screen? When I select the Maule, for example, it fills the window in the GUI. I just purchased the ESDG Cirrus SR-22, and it looks like it is waaaaaay off in the distance! Any way to (easily) fix this?

OleBoy
January 8th, 2012, 17:40
Try the mouse wheel ;)

Felixthreeone
January 8th, 2012, 18:34
Works, but I would rather just have them al the same size at startup..especially one I pay a lot of money for...

huub vink
January 9th, 2012, 02:03
I thought it was set by an entry in the aircraft configuration file. But I haven't been able to locate where.

Daube
January 9th, 2012, 02:47
It's in the model, a small parameter that can be changed with some tool, but I don't remember the exact name.

skyhawka4m
January 9th, 2012, 03:01
It's in the model, a small parameter that can be changed with some tool, but I don't remember the exact name.

Its probably the same tool that makes you zoom in when you go to fly the plane. For example the Bell 222 that just came out....you have to zoom way in to have a full frame of the aircraft. I wish this had been fixed.

Roger
January 9th, 2012, 04:28
The tool found here will resize the model in the viewing window and in the sim. The first model I used it on was the Freeware Piaseki helicopter and it brought the aircraft much closer. Back-up first!!
I have only changed the radius value. http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=RADItor

skyhawka4m
January 9th, 2012, 05:34
Roger....is there a tool that can change the center pint of the camera view. It seems some models have the camera center point eother too far forward or rearward...being some one who does alot of screenshot stuff....it can be a pain when trying to do screenshots to get and angle that is close enough to show detail but yet get the whole plane in view....and example of this is the Section8 F-86.

Daube
January 9th, 2012, 08:58
SkyHawk, in FSX you're free to define your additionnal camera views and copy them to any aircraft .CFG.
For example, if you circle through the view of the default Cessna, you'll realize that the "wing to cockpit" acts like a VC view, you can look around, to put the aircraft out of the center of the picture if you want. You can even move the viewpoint with the same commands as the VC viewpoint.
Check the [CameraDefinition.*] sections, pick the one you like, alter it, and copy it in the Sabre's aircraft.cfg.

Dangerousdave26
January 9th, 2012, 11:33
skyhawka4m

I don't think you can change the center point of the camera in the preview screen.

To me it looks like it is centered right on the center of the model or the 0,0,0 reference point which is where ever the original modeler placed it in the source code.

If you could change the center of the model you would need to adjust the reference datum accordingly in the aircraft.cfg file or your balance would be out of whack.

Just for fun I changed the reference datum for the default Maule and it had no affect on the center point of the preview screen.

skyhawka4m
January 9th, 2012, 12:14
Actually what I'm referring to is while flying in SPOT mode. If you zoom in on the jet to get a full frame shot...it is justified more to the front of the jet versus being centered on the plane. In order to get the entire plane in view you have to zoom back and them crop alot off your image.....from most angles.

SkippyBing
January 9th, 2012, 12:34
Actually what I'm referring to is while flying in SPOT mode. If you zoom in on the jet to get a full frame shot...it is justified more to the front of the jet versus being centered on the plane. In order to get the entire plane in view you have to zoom back and them crop alot off your image.....from most angles.

It's centred on the same spot as the preview window, i.e. model 0,0,0 which is set by the modeller.
Interestingly this does seem to have an effect on the flight dynamics despite there being no reference to it in the SDK, it seems to get treated as the aerodynamic centre which doesn't make a lot of sense but until I shifted my model to make that happen I couldn't get the Sea Fury to fly right. Either that or I missed something obvious, either's likely.

vonstroheim
January 9th, 2012, 18:37
The tool found here [RADitor] will resize the model in the viewing window and in the sim.

Yes! This is the tool I was dreaming for ! At last I was able to change the viewing distance (radius) for my DBS Yak-40 ! Thanks Roger !

Before (radius = 32) :

After (radius = 13):

No camera definition could have solved this... The "radius" is hard-coded in the mdl file. This RADitor is pure magic...

Here's the link again. Very easy to use, no installation needed, no SDK stuff or re-compilation necessary.
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=RADItor

vonstroheim
January 10th, 2012, 13:35
I just purchased the ESDG Cirrus SR-22, and it looks like it is waaaaaay off in the distance! Any way to (easily) fix this?

I tried RADitor on the payware Captain Sim 727 and I fixed it alright. So simple! Try it! Backup your mdl file(s) before if you're nervous...

Before, radius = 32

After, radius = 24

To find the proper radius for your situation, read the value of a similar sized default FSX aircraft. For this 727-100 I choose the 737-800...

Roger
January 10th, 2012, 14:06
It's a great tool. Thanks to Arno for developing it amongst a number of others:applause:

flewpastu
January 10th, 2012, 16:15
Wow I just used it on the Nemeth CH53 , changes it from 39 to 22 and its looks normal now, Thanks A Bunch :salute:

Bill